2022 NFL Scouting Combine - March 1st thru 7th

MikeT14

11 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Honestly I wouldnt bet against it. They reached for Jamin Davis last year. If he hears anyone is smitten with Willis, you can expect us to be making phone calls. 

I agree. I think Rivera sees a young/smaller version of Cam in Willis. I wouldn’t be surprised if we trade up for him & if we do I’m going to support it. It’s not what I would do if I was the GM - I’d stay at 11 and take the best QB available there - whether that’s Pickett, Corral, Howell or Ridder but I think Rivera will trade up with the Jets to get in-front of the Giants to take Willis. 

I just hope if we do take Willis that either Heinicke, Kyle Allen if he’s re-signed & wins the job or a vet we probably sign to compete w/ Heinicke or Allen start over Willis in his rookie season & Willis is used in special read option/wildcat type packages as a rookie as he learns our offense correctly.

Edited by turtle28

11 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Every year, well maybe not every year but 2 months ago "no first round QB s " Now, I almost expect 3 in top 11 picks . Us, Denver and Pittsburgh-(trade up ) Carolina in the mix too . 

It wouldn't shock me if the Giants take a QB too. The new GM & HC didn’t draft Daniel Jones. This is a prove it or hit the road year for Jones & they may draft someone like Pickett or Willis if we don’t trade up for him to develop behind Jones for this year. Then, if Jones doesn’t have a good year this year and stay healthy for once they move on from him and they have their starter in house w/ their 2nd year QB who would’ve sat and learned this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, taylor made said:

Both Ohio St. WRs Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson are nothing special athletically and both are small.

Season 6 What GIF by The Office

Olave ran a 4.39 forty, if you watch him play games on Saturday’s he’s an elite route runner like Keenan Allen. Olave gets open every play off of just route running, he catches everything also. If we didn’t need a QB so bad I’d want him at 11 or a LB again like Lloyd but I think he’s going to end up in Phila and I guarantee we won’t be able to cover Olave or DeVonta Smith for the next decade!

Garrett Wilson same deal 4.38 forty, great route runner although Olave is smoother. Wilson is more athletic than Olave but both of them have elite hands. 

They’re both plug & play WRs like Michael Thomas & Terry were. They’re going to make huge differences on offense for whatever teams draft them.

David Bell is just a solid all around WR, he’s not a blazer but he’s just solid & a good route runner I think he’s a late 2nd round guy now or a 3rd round but he may be a starter next year depending on what team drafts him, if not I think he’s a teams #3 WR.  

Cooper Kupp is a 4.61 guy. Keenan Allen is a 4.56 guy. If Bell can get his 40 time to under 4.6 on his pro day, that could help his stock get back to the top half of round 2 but I think he’s likely a late 2nd round guy or 3rd round guy after that 40. His film & production is his calling card and bc of that it’s hard to see him falling past the 3rd.

10 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Olave ran a 4.39 forty, if you watch him play games on Saturday’s he’s an elite route runner like Keenan Allen. Olave gets open every play off of just route running, he catches everything also. If we didn’t need a QB so bad I’d want him at 11 or a LB again like Lloyd but I think he’s going to end up in Phila and I guarantee we won’t be able to cover Olave or DeVonta Smith for the next decade!

Garrett Wilson same deal 4.38 forty, great route runner although Olave is smoother. Wilson is more athletic than Olave but both of them have elite hands. 

For their size, they didn't do anything special.  Maybe they can improve on some of these things on the pro day. They are close. The forty times are overshadowing some deficiencies. Both of them don't have good size. They need more bulk. Maybe that comes in the NFL. Maybe it doesn't. Olave's 32 inch vertical is pretty bad. 

download.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, taylor made said:

For their size, they didn't do anything special.  Maybe they can improve on some of these things on the pro day. They are close. The forty times are overshadowing some deficiencies. Both of them don't have good size. They need more bulk. Maybe that comes in the NFL. Maybe it doesn't. Olave's 32 inch vertical is pretty bad. 

download.jpg

You can’t measure their route running with those type of statistics & their knowledge/cerebralness on the field. That’s all I’m saying.

They get open, they get open off of great route running. I watched every one of each players games. Wilson makes acrobatic catches every game, often times these two WRs made Justin Fields & Stroud look good rather than the other way around. I’ll be totally shocked if they aren’t first round picks & ill even be shocked if they both aren’t top 20 picks. 

I wonder if they lost weight to run faster at the combine. I’ll be shocked if they didn’t usually play at 5-10 pounds heavier in college than their combine weights. I mean these guys played is arguably the most physically conference in the USA - it’s between the Big 10 & SEC in that regard - and their size/physicality was never an issue.

I remember people saying the same things you’re saying about DeVonta Smith last year but the tape doesn’t lie, especially when you’re playing in a conference like the Big 10 & those defenses or the SEC and those defenses.

DeVonta Smith started last year & caught 64 passes for 900 yards & 5 TDs in a run first offense w/ a run first inaccurate QB, I won’t be shocked if Olave & Wilson put up similar stats as rookie WRs this year.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

You can’t measure their route running with those type of statistics & their knowledge/cerebralness on the field. That’s all I’m saying.

That's cool. I get it. This is the combine thread though and just wanted to focus on those stats. They've been downgraded to me what they showed me at the combine. Maybe they can improve on that at their pro day with bench press, etc. 

31 minutes ago, taylor made said:

That's cool. I get it. This is the combine thread though and just wanted to focus on those stats. They've been downgraded to me what they showed me at the combine. Maybe they can improve on that at their pro day with bench press, etc. 

Like bench press matters for a WR? It doesn’t matter at all. What matters is they get open and catch the ball. Again, tape doesn’t lie. They’re both elite route runners like Mike Thomas & Terry before them. They both have strong hands, are hand catchers and catch everything. I’ll be shocked if they don’t both go top 20.

3 hours ago, taylor made said:

He's a VERY well spoken man. Not what I was expecting at all. 

Pretty impressive kid. 

At this point, I’m very certain that he’s run and jumped his way out of pick 73. And I think there’s a pretty good chance he’s out of play for pick 42 as well. Detroit, Jets, Texans, Giants (if they dump Saquon) would all be reasonably likely to pull the trigger on a RB at the top of the 2nd round. Spiller probably took a tumble today, though he was already below Breece and Walker for me personally. 

If a really good RB prospect was there at 42, I’d be tempted at this point. But I’d have to feel comfortable that I’d at least taken some steps to address most of the primary non-QB holes on the team (MLB, FS, RG, WR, slot CB, DE3) before I could use a pretty valuable asset on a luxury like a 2nd round RB.

Unless we get really good value, I think we’re a year (maybe two?) away from making a major investment in the RB we hope will help carry us to the top of the league. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, e16bball said:

Pretty impressive kid. 

At this point, I’m very certain that he’s run and jumped his way out of pick 73. And I think there’s a pretty good chance he’s out of play for pick 42 as well. Detroit, Jets, Texans, Giants (if they dump Saquon) would all be reasonably likely to pull the trigger on a RB at the top of the 2nd round. Spiller probably took a tumble today, though he was already below Breece and Walker for me personally. 

If a really good RB prospect was there at 42, I’d be tempted at this point. But I’d have to feel comfortable that I’d at least taken some steps to address most of the primary non-QB holes on the team (MLB, FS, RG, WR, slot CB, DE3) before I could use a pretty valuable asset on a luxury like a 2nd round RB.

Unless we get really good value, I think we’re a year (maybe two?) away from making a major investment in the RB we hope will help carry us to the top of the league. 

For me there’s really 3 guys. I like Hall, Cook and Ford. If we get to them where they are value I’d select them. Ford is more of a JD replacement to continue scheme the other two are just big powerful guys to pair with Gibson. I do like Pierce from Florida as well.