What will we do about the Oline?

theJ

1 hour ago, Beck Bristow said:

He had been playing next to Russell Bodine, so that has to be taken into account. Still, he's a backup at best.

Oh man. What a terrible time that was. 

Pacman Jones was on a podcast yesterday and said a little birdie told him the Bengals are signing Jensen to a 3 year 39 million dollar deal. That is what PFF has him projected to get as well 

2 hours ago, ochocinco4pres said:

Oh man. What a terrible time that was. 

Pacman Jones was on a podcast yesterday and said a little birdie told him the Bengals are signing Jensen to a 3 year 39 million dollar deal. That is what PFF has him projected to get as well 

Hope so! I will feel a lot better once we sign someone that's not Quentin Spain. 

Hopkins seems to be popular with his teammates and the local writers. Unfortunately, he's not very good. He's had a fine career for a guy who went undrafted but the Bengals need to upgrade from him or players like him. This is the year to fix the O-line with every free agent a possibility. Why settle?

2 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Hopkins seems to be popular with his teammates and the local writers. Unfortunately, he's not very good. He's had a fine career for a guy who went undrafted but the Bengals need to upgrade from him or players like him. This is the year to fix the O-line with every free agent a possibility. Why settle?

I wouldn't mind seeing him as a backup C and like 3rd guard for one of the spots. But in order for that, he would have to be cut and signed to a new deal. 

4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

But why? He was the 35th rated center in a 32 team league. Trey Hill graded higher at PFF in limited snaps. Let Hopkins be some other team's problem. 

That might have been grade, but is that the full season?  Hopkins was much better by the end of the season.  I think he'd be a good choice as backup center

9 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

That might have been grade, but is that the full season?  Hopkins was much better by the end of the season.  I think he'd be a good choice as backup center

Or at least, I don't love the idea of Hill being the backup  I'd like some competition there, either from Hopkins or a mid round rookie.

16 hours ago, sparky151 said:

But why? He was the 35th rated center in a 32 team league. Trey Hill graded higher at PFF in limited snaps. Let Hopkins be some other team's problem. 

Trey Hill's PFF grade means nothing to me. But they also have him for 6 penalties in 210 snaps so that is horrible. I do think Hopkins improved later in the year the further away from his injury. I am not saying he is perfect, but a guy who has started in this league and been at least decent as a backup is someone I would rather have than Hill as a backup. 

1 hour ago, ochocinco4pres said:

Trey Hill's PFF grade means nothing to me. But they also have him for 6 penalties in 210 snaps so that is horrible. I do think Hopkins improved later in the year the further away from his injury. I am not saying he is perfect, but a guy who has started in this league and been at least decent as a backup is someone I would rather have than Hill as a backup. 

Ben Jones is younger, healthier and higher graded than Hopkins, yet is projected on PFF to garner about the same contract Hopkins has (less than $7 mill per).  Sounds like a smart swap to me

5 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Ben Jones is younger, healthier and higher graded than Hopkins, yet is projected on PFF to garner about the same contract Hopkins has (less than $7 mill per).  Sounds like a smart swap to me

Ben Jones will be 33 when the season starts (3 years older than Hopkins), but I agree. He would be a great addition at C. 

7 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Darn.  I thought he was late twenties for some reason.  Thanks for the correction.

The only reason I think that is worth noting is it would seem to require the Bengals to do a philosophy change. Rarely do they give out multi year deals to guys over 30. Honestly not sure they have really ever done it. Jensen would be similar as he will be 31 before the season. 

27 minutes ago, ochocinco4pres said:

The only reason I think that is worth noting is it would seem to require the Bengals to do a philosophy change. Rarely do they give out multi year deals to guys over 30. Honestly not sure they have really ever done it. Jensen would be similar as he will be 31 before the season. 

3 year deal to a 31 year old non skill position doesn't worry me too much.

18 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

3 year deal to a 31 year old non skill position doesn't worry me too much.

I am not saying I am worried about it. But it would be asking the Bengals to do something they historically don't do. Hopefully they don't let that get in the way of making good decisions, but was Coles the last player 13 years ago we gave a multi year deal to that was over 30?

15 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

Hopkins was returning from a serious injury but the Bengals felt good enough about him to trade Billy Price (who had a better season). Price is a free agent and could probably be signed as a backup. He's younger and healthier than Hopkins as well as cheaper. Hill is even cheaper though he didn't show much in his limited snaps. Let's drop the anchoring bias and trying to find excuses to keep a subpar player. It's ok to look for a top shelf player in the middle of the line in front of Burrow.