What will we do about the Oline?

theJ

2 hours ago, ochocinco4pres said:

Ben Jones will be 33 when the season starts (3 years older than Hopkins), but I agree. He would be a great addition at C. 

Yes, Jones would be a good signing too. If we sign Bradley Bozeman, it opens another hole for the Ravens, 

45 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Hopkins was returning from a serious injury but the Bengals felt good enough about him to trade Billy Price (who had a better season). Price is a free agent and could probably be signed as a backup. He's younger and healthier than Hopkins as well as cheaper. Hill is even cheaper though he didn't show much in his limited snaps. Let's drop the anchoring bias and trying to find excuses to keep a subpar player. It's ok to look for a top shelf player in the middle of the line in front of Burrow. 

I'm just talking backups. I'm all aboard spend top shelf center money for a top center. 

The Athletic podcast for the Bengals today spoke a lot about what they expect. Their guess is the Bengals spend big on a C and target a RT as well. Maybe they look at a vet guard but in the 3-4 million range. They did speak a little about Tomlinson and how he could fit but it would be breaking their trend of not spending on Guards. 

They expect Bengals to sign 2 starting O lineman and maybe 1 depth piece. 

2 hours ago, ochocinco4pres said:

The Athletic podcast for the Bengals today spoke a lot about what they expect. Their guess is the Bengals spend big on a C and target a RT as well. Maybe they look at a vet guard but in the 3-4 million range. They did speak a little about Tomlinson and how he could fit but it would be breaking their trend of not spending on Guards. 

They expect Bengals to sign 2 starting O lineman and maybe 1 depth piece. 

That may be the most likely.  Hoping if Spain is signed he's a depth piece. I do belive Carman and Smith are locks for the roster next year along with Jonah and I think that Prince and Hill will be given a chance to make it. Spots start to get eaten up quickly.

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

That wouldn't get it done. Seems like it would be doubling down on the mistake of ignoring the guard position.

I agree. I don't think they ignore the G position, but if Spain and Carman are the starting G next year it is a massive loss. Luckily only 11 more days until we can start to see it all come together 

59 minutes ago, ochocinco4pres said:

I agree. I don't think they ignore the G position, but if Spain and Carman are the starting G next year it is a massive loss. Luckily only 11 more days until we can start to see it all come together 

Two 10 million and two 5 million would be lovely.

1 hour ago, ochocinco4pres said:

Listening to that now. They're talking about signing a free agent that might be a fail safe. An ok starter, but solid backup type. Just need to add players the can count on. 

3 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

Listening to that now. They're talking about signing a free agent that might be a fail safe. An ok starter, but solid backup type. Just need to add players the can count on. 

I would be happy with that. We just can't rely on Adeniji or Prince as a backup who could start like we did. We have to have better options than that. 

It was also discussed that Reiff might retire which makes sense. 

On 3/3/2022 at 12:43 PM, sparky151 said:

That wouldn't get it done. Seems like it would be doubling down on the mistake of ignoring the guard position.

i can't see them not signing a single guard.  it just won't be of the 10M variety.  probably a few someones in the 2-5M range.  they'll spend bigger at C and T.

11 hours ago, theJ said:

i can't see them not signing a single guard.  it just won't be of the 10M variety.  probably a few someones in the 2-5M range.  they'll spend bigger at C and T.

Right. It might be Spain and Ted Karras that they sign, but they'll sign guys who can start. 

12 hours ago, theJ said:

Nor should they if they plan on a possible 1st round  pick on the OL.  Zion, possibly Greene, and Darian Kinnard could all be there, but it's doubtful Linderbaum or a highly rated OT makes it there.

It would be madness to go into the draft with a need for a starting O-lineman. That's just telling Burrow they don't care about his health. We have plenty of money to spend and can buy veteran linemen instead of rolling the dice on some rookie who may not even be on the board at 31. Fix the O-line in free agency and use the draft picks on other positions. It's not that hard. Just because mock drafts have the Bengals taking linemen, let's not fall into thinking that's what will happen.

• Like 1

Malik Wright, who is usually spot on, is sensing defense with the first pick. Which means it sounds like we’re buying our offensive line, which is a good thing. 

My gut at 31 (or trade down) is saying corner - it’s a very deep crop this year and I can see someone highly regarded fall. Other than that, I could see us going with a pass rushing DT (Wyatt?). 

2 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Malik Wright, who is usually spot on, is sensing defense with the first pick. Which means it sounds like we’re buying our offensive line, which is a good thing. 

My gut at 31 (or trade down) is saying corner - it’s a very deep crop this year and I can see someone highly regarded fall. Other than that, I could see us going with a pass rushing DT (Wyatt?). 

A friend of mine sent me that tweet from Wright.  I responded the exact same thing.  Devonte Wyatt or a top CB, with Booth being my favorite in this current scheme.