Pat Meyer as new OL coach

Blitzburgh

31 minutes ago, Blitzburgh said:

That means nothing to me. I'm more interested in the 16 game starters. If his units sucked with good talent, then he's not a good coach imo. But if they sucked because of inferior talent, then I can give him a pass. That being said, a great coach can get the best out of lesser talent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

Knowing he was with Carolina and LAC scares me. Their OLs have been atrocious for several years now.

Those two teams also had the most OL starting combinations due to injuries in those time spans. So good coach with bad luck or bad coach with worse luck?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, armsteeld said:

That means nothing to me. I'm more interested in the 16 game starters. If his units sucked with good talent, then he's not a good coach imo. But if they sucked because of inferior talent, then I can give him a pass. That being said, a great coach can get the best out of lesser talent.

I don’t disagree, but it certainly doesn’t give me a lot of confidence.  Especially with the talent he will have.

A number of Pittsburgh sports writers are saying that this hire and the turnover on the staff are because no one wants to work with Canada.

Toxic personality, his lack of talent, or both? 

I'd just be a broken record at this point if I circled this back around to the head guy.

I'm not sure what's going on (and live outside the US) but this is a confusing hire, to say the least.
It's not like you read about massive teaching chops, or some kind of deep connection, so on the surface,
it just sounds like a disappointing hire. Interesting if that's being said about Canada - who I'm also disappointed 
was retained. 

I've not been a Tomlin hater like some, but man, Canada, Austin, this guy...I'm not feeling excited by the choices.
I can only hope they know or see something we don't.

I don’t particularly like Lolley, but I did get a good laugh out of this one. 

I am underwhelmed by this hire. I really thought they would take a big swing with how things have done with their last two hires and it being a young like that needs to have someone that can build their skill. But I want to look more at the individuals he worked with and how they progresses rather than bulk numbers of offensive production. 

And I also say the report about no one wanting to work with Canada. Maybe it’s true…but I mean, common….the source was Poni……let’s take that with an entire Giant Iggle spices aisle of salt. 

• Like 2

Let’s be honest, attracting a top tier coach was going to be near impossible. What do we really have to offer him? If you were a top guy what would you want to have to go to a team?

- good line, with potential to greatly improve- nope

- veteran QB to help OL look better- nope

-established OC with potential to gameplan to help OL- nope

- playoff potential- nope

Coaches move laterally in this league for one of only a couple reasons, they get fired for not doing a great job, or there’s a potential to make improvements and open new opportunities for themselves, nobody is getting that here. Hopefully this guy has more talent than he’s shown in the past and can help our guys grow and improve, but expecting a top guy to want to come to our situation wasn’t going to happen. At this point we don’t even have a starting QB option to know what kind of scheme to teach. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Maybe it’s true…but I mean, common….the source was Poni……let’s take that with an entire Giant Iggle spices aisle of salt. 

Poni has me blocked on twitter and on his show and my life is so much better for it. Just a freaking hack. 

Hell half the Pittsburgh sports media has me blocked on twitter because I call out their constant stupidity. There’s one that thinks I’m a SD burner account for Dave and another thinks I’m a Mark Madden burner account. 

• Like 1