Pat Meyer as new OL coach

Blitzburgh

In the end his scheme is good and it works. CMC eats, Ekeler ate. Harris is on par with CMC and better than Ekeler. Had a crap sandwich at QB in Car, and Rivers who was the least mobile QB ever. In this years he coached the largest different combos of OL by 12. In a 5 year span he taught more OL combos than some teams have in 3 years. 

And I’m not saying that makes him good. Rather it makes those OL rankings rather irrelevant. 

Besides, I heard a rumor that Munchak might be done coaching in the NFL. Denver didn’t want to retain him and he doesn’t really want to leave Colorado. Rumor is he might start his own offseason training academy for elite college players and NFL players. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Poni has me blocked on twitter and on his show and my life is so much better for it. Just a freaking hack. 

Hell half the Pittsburgh sports media has me blocked on twitter because I call out their constant stupidity. There’s one that thinks I’m a SD burner account for Dave and another thinks I’m a Mark Madden burner account. 

I still don't understand how a city so connected and driven by its sports can settle for such awful beat writers. I found another one of those $1 per month deals to get the athletic just to ignore it again because Bouchette is one of the 2 steelers writers. I'm not sure Gerry Dulac has never gotten something right in his life about the team. I won't even say his name because somewhere some tech will calculate it, but that MM guy is just a shock jocky who realized bad takes still get ratings. 

There are so many good writers or media members out there, how can't the Steelers get one!?

2 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I still don't understand how a city so connected and driven by its sports can settle for such awful beat writers. I found another one of those $1 per month deals to get the athletic just to ignore it again because Bouchette is one of the 2 steelers writers. I'm not sure Gerry Dulac has never gotten something right in his life about the team. I won't even say his name because somewhere some tech will calculate it, but that MM guy is just a shock jocky who realized bad takes still get ratings. 

There are so many good writers or media members out there, how can't the Steelers get one!?

They all want Labriolas team job. That’s why. 

• Like 2

I like attacking the local beat guys because they apparently want Labriola's job in a topic where the problem is they are reporting negative things about the goings on with the team.

So, trashing the new OL hire and the offensive coordinator, and by extension the head coach who kept him....is getting the multiple guys reporting this closer to getting a job with the team? 

You know, you kind of have to get your narratives straight. We can only really judge positional coaches by how their units perform over time. This guy has never No one outside the biggest Tomlin homers is excited about this one.

18 hours ago, armsteeld said:

I just found out PFF ranks the OL, I am not a fan of their grading system. Hell, half of them don't even know how it works. I like their stats & film but they can get out of here with their grades.

I’ve been on it for years how horrible it is. Geoff Schwartz exposed it like 3 years ago. There was a game that they gave his brother a 40 grade because of 3 sacks surrendered. 2 of them were because Kelce didn’t chip (he went out on a route on one, whiffed on the other); the 3rd was a stunt that Schwartz passed off but the OG didn’t pick up. PFF literally just blames who is closest, just like secondary break downs. 

I prefer to just try to interact with former QBs and OL on twitter to get them to opine on coaches and players I want to know about. Schwartz is good but biased. If you can get Jamie Dukes to respond he is AMAZING. Jordan Palmer is pretty good in how QBs can help the OL. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Dulac and Poni are the two guys that have me blocked FWIW. Dulac swears up and down I’m a MM burner account because I’ve pointed out just how god awful his takes are. I called out Poni on a year he wanted the team to sign a big name FA with no cap and when I called it out his response was “well it’s the Steelers, minimum should be an honor”. 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 10:47 AM, jebrick said:

Does his teaching match what the Steelers want to do?  If yes, good hire.

As we have been asking and talking about the past few seasons, "Do the Steelers know what they want to do on offense?"  I thought that they should have went much more of a road grader type of OL. They draft a first round franchise RB, they had an aging QB with limited mobility. Why not get the run game going? I thought they should have been more like the Steelers of 2005 than trying to be like the Steelers of 2017. 

A lot is put into coaching ability, but I think more emphasis and accountability needs to be on talent. They have a new coach, get him some talent through free agency two potential starters (both IOL or one IOL and one OT) and draft a player or two.  All is academic if the Steelers don't clearly define who and what they want to be on offense.

11 hours ago, 3rivers said:

why no Munchak? this is a fail 

Getting Munchak back was popular, but also a long-shot.  He said that he wanted to be closer to family and that apparently hasn't changed.  I don't think he would have left in the first place if that were not the case. I would have liked Doug Marrone as well. He was another former NFL HC and had success building/developing smash-mouth OL's.  

I can't call this fail without ever seeing this guy coach one practice session let alone a game or season. I am more with Jebrick's thinking of it is a fail if his teachings and style don't match what the Steelers are trying to do. The Steelers could be setting guys up for failure if they don't clearly define who they are and what they want to do. Chuks is a better pass protector than run blocker. They had him play RT next to a mauler in RG Tre Turner. Dotson was hurt, and Dan and Kendrick were rookies who were thrown to the wolves so to speak. 

I would try to sign Raven free agent C Bradley Bozeman, Raider C Nick Martin, or OG Will Hernandez. If I sign a C, I would let Green play his more natural OG position with Dotson and back-up at C.  If I sign Will at OG, then I am sticking with Green at C and perhaps looking to draft a C. 

They will need to decide what to do with Chuks and Banner.  Chuks is a more natural LT. Banner cannot stay healthy, so you have to draft a OT either way. I think the team likes where Dan Moore is in development, but if a LT is there, I am drafting one. The point is that you need talent to coach and develop. 

I like C Tyler Linderbaum in round one and I have been scouting C Dohnovan West  AZ State for potential C selection after round one.  If Zion Johnson, Ikem Ekwonu, Kenyon Green or Trevor Penning are there, they get consideration depending on who else is on the board at 20. They look like potential starters. I think LT Charles Cross will be long gone before pick 20. 

An OL who can't protect the QB, get a push in run game, and can't sustain blocks for a young stud at RB is more talent than coaching. The one cavoite is if the offensive philosophy (lack thereof) was contributing/causing them to fail.