Not Just the X's and O's, But the Culture of the KOC Offense

vike daddy

8 minutes ago, RpMc said:

I'd like to see more read/bash run looks and RPO pass looks to help open up the running game a little.  Take advantage of the type of QB we currently have, put edge defenders and linebackers in conflict and slow them down half a beat.

Give us numbers in the run/pass game.

KOC desperately needs to get the run game going somehow. Take the weight off Dobbs and give our emerging defence a rest

• Like 3

1 minute ago, vikesfan89 said:

If the Vikings won the division,  absolutely.  I haven't paid much attention to the Texans but the turn around that they have had is impressive.  It'd be hard to argue against him if they make the playoffs

While not necessarily often used as a barometer, amongst common opponents thus far, the Texans are 3-2 (as the AFC South is also playing the NFC South), while still having to play the Broncos (W13) and the Vikings are 3-1, still having to play the Broncos and Bengals.  We'll see where they are at that point.  I think both teams have had similar injury issues, but all of the Texans have come to their OL (including our Quessenberry's brother), while the Vikings have suffered injuries to more major players.  Both coaches have done a phenomenal job. 

9 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

If the Vikings won the division,  absolutely.  I haven't paid much attention to the Texans but the turn around that they have had is impressive.  It'd be hard to argue against him if they make the playoffs

other than, the Vikings' story is also one of losing their starting QB who was playing extremely well.

• 6 months later...

As he readies for his first season with Minnesota, defensive line coach Marcus Dixon is probably most appreciative of the environment from the top down.

Dixon: "Culture is everything. And K.O. is doing a great job, talking about being resilient, talking about our team, our process, our way, and that's taught every single day. But I think the thing that he preaches is that it's the players that really make it come alive. And I think they are taking ownership over it. Again, I'm just new here, but I see that. And knowing K.O., I played with him with the Jets, I was with him with the Rams – I know what he's about. I know what his mindset is. So, I do feel like the guys are taking ownership on that."

"You'll see within the white lines that we believe it's a player-led team and not a coach-led team, so we're setting a culture, he's setting a culture, but those guys are making it come to life."

https://www.vikings.com/news/marcus-dixon-reunites-with-kevin-o-connell-sizes-up-defensive-line

N’Keal Harry had enough talent for the wide receiver position that he was a first-round draft pick in 2019. But that talent has never translated into becoming a good wide receiver at the next level. So now he’s going to try another position.

Vikings head coach Kevin O’Connell said today that Harry is moving to tight end.

O’Connell:  “N’Keal is really fired up about it. He has attacked the process, long before we even got started in the offseason program. But you’re hoping to see the receiving traits lead the way early on, as they get a little more comfort in maybe having their hand down, being a part of run schemes, the different kind of run schemes that we’re implementing, and N’Keal has shown that. At this stage in his career a position change is unique, but we’re hoping we’re developing a guy who can be a real third-down weapon, red-zone weapon, with his skill set.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/vikings-move-nkeal-harry-from-wide-receiver-to-tight-end

what the...? what do we have, seven tight ends now?

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

N’Keal Harry had enough talent for the wide receiver position that he was a first-round draft pick in 2019. But that talent has never translated into becoming a good wide receiver at the next level. So now he’s going to try another position.

Vikings head coach Kevin O’Connell said today that Harry is moving to tight end.

O’Connell:  “N’Keal is really fired up about it. He has attacked the process, long before we even got started in the offseason program. But you’re hoping to see the receiving traits lead the way early on, as they get a little more comfort in maybe having their hand down, being a part of run schemes, the different kind of run schemes that we’re implementing, and N’Keal has shown that. At this stage in his career a position change is unique, but we’re hoping we’re developing a guy who can be a real third-down weapon, red-zone weapon, with his skill set.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/vikings-move-nkeal-harry-from-wide-receiver-to-tight-end

what the...? what do we have, seven tight ends now?

Yep...they're going to start running 14 personnel.  😂

• Like 2

As I stated in another thread, I doubt he makes the 53 man roster, but he could make the practice squad and get time to bulk up. Also wouldn't hurt to have a guy with receiver experience there in case someone gets injured. Positional flexibility won't hurt him. He just has to show some competence. 

• Like 2

Tom Brady:

“I think the quarterbacking has gone backwards a little bit in the NFL. I don’t think it’s improved. I don’t think the teaching’s improved. I think maybe the physical fundamentals might be a little bit improved because there’s better information out there for quarterbacks to study on mechanics. But I don’t think quarterbacks really are really field generals right now like they used to be.

“It’s a broad statement, certainly. But I had total control. I had all the tools I needed. I was coached that way. I was developed to have the tools that I needed to go on the field so that whenever something came up, I had the right play, the right formation, the right audible, the right check at the line — to ultimately take control of the 11 guys on offense and get us into a good, positive play.”

“I think now, there’s this try-to-control element from the sideline between the coaches, where they want to have the control. And they’re not teaching and developing the players the right tools so that they can go out on the field and make their own decisions that are best suited for the team. When I looked at Peyton Manning, he was a guy that I looked up to because he had ultimate control. And I think the game’s regressed in a little bit of that way, based on what’s happened in high school football, college football and then the NFL’s getting a much lesser developed quarterback at this point.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/tom-brady-quarterbacking-has-gone-backwards-a-little-bit

how do we feel O'Connell fits into what Brady is saying? is he a coach that is trying to control the play of the game from the sideline, or is he training up his QB's to do so at the line of scrimmage?

7 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Tom Brady:

“I think the quarterbacking has gone backwards a little bit in the NFL. I don’t think it’s improved. I don’t think the teaching’s improved. I think maybe the physical fundamentals might be a little bit improved because there’s better information out there for quarterbacks to study on mechanics. But I don’t think quarterbacks really are really field generals right now like they used to be.

“It’s a broad statement, certainly. But I had total control. I had all the tools I needed. I was coached that way. I was developed to have the tools that I needed to go on the field so that whenever something came up, I had the right play, the right formation, the right audible, the right check at the line — to ultimately take control of the 11 guys on offense and get us into a good, positive play.”

“I think now, there’s this try-to-control element from the sideline between the coaches, where they want to have the control. And they’re not teaching and developing the players the right tools so that they can go out on the field and make their own decisions that are best suited for the team. When I looked at Peyton Manning, he was a guy that I looked up to because he had ultimate control. And I think the game’s regressed in a little bit of that way, based on what’s happened in high school football, college football and then the NFL’s getting a much lesser developed quarterback at this point.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/tom-brady-quarterbacking-has-gone-backwards-a-little-bit

how do we feel O'Connell fits into what Brady is saying? is he a coach that is trying to control the play of the game from the sideline, or is he training up his QB's to do so at the line of scrimmage?

We'll have to see how it goes with Darnold/McCarthy.  I do think he tries to control it to a certain extent, but not to the extent like LaFleur does (who Aaron Rodgers famously outrightly defied a lot of the time).  There are certain QBs that do need to be controlled a little...Kirko was one of them, you didn't want him (and I don't think he wanted to) improvising and didn't want him calling things at the line.  Andy Reid almost famously did a lot of controlling of the offense, but as he's gotten older, has let it go a little, especially in Mahomes' case.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

Alec Lewis (The Athletic):

"Aaron Jones will likely receive most of the carries, but I expect Ty Chandler’s usage to increase. He played 27 percent of the Vikings’ offensive snaps last season. I predict that number will climb. As defensive tackle Harrison Phillips said last week, this is a one-two punch. The more the Vikings can rely on Chandler, the more likely Jones is to stay healthy. This is Minnesota’s best running back group since O’Connell became the head coach."

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/minnesota-vikings-running-backs-aaron-jones-ty-chandler/?

• Like 1

On 6/13/2024 at 11:06 AM, vike daddy said:

Tom Brady:

Brady's not wrong.  The NFL is now a young QBs league.  I would be surprised to see Mahomes, Jackson or Burrow playing in their 40s.