USFL Draft: Day 1, Rounds 1-12

Jrvegeeta

USFL Day 1 draft

Jordan Ta’amu goes early 1st round, as expected, to Tampa Bay (XFL’s St. Louis Battlehawks aren’t going to like that). The pick that intrigues me the most is Paxton Lynch being selected in the 12th round by Michigan despite taking Shea Patterson with #1 overall. Should be interesting to see if his second chance bears fruit…

Edited by Jrvegeeta

37 minutes ago, Jrvegeeta said:

USFL Day 1 draft

Jordan Ta’amu goes early 1st round, as expected, to Tampa Bay (XFL’s St. Louis Battlehawks aren’t going to like that). The pick that intrigues me the most is Paxton Lynch being selected in the 12th round by Michigan despite taking Shea Patterson with #1 overall. Should be interesting to see if his second chance bears fruit…

I’m ignorant on the going’s on surrounding this. Does this draft even matter now that the NFL and XFL have partnered?

39 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

Jordan Ta'amu and Eli Rogers should be an effective combo. Rogers made Cardale Jones look good for a few games lol. 

I agree. Defenders fell apart after week 3 when teams got wise and paid more attention to Rogers. Cardale Jones can still be a solid QB, but it seems none of the USFL teams want to take a chance on him (although I’d rather have him than Matt McGloin - he did the Guardians no favors with his garbage play).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 43M said:

I thought this would have at least a few more recognizable names.   I only recognize like a handful.

It is still kinda fascinating seeing names pop of players you forgot existed. Feel good story for Shea Patterson as he gets to put off working at Lowes a few more years 

A few signings stood out to me:

Jordan Ta'amu who QB'd for St. Louis in the XFL

Brian Allen, CB for Steelers and Niners

Paxton Lynch who washed out of Denver and was most recently a 3rd-stringer in the CFL (ouch)

Clayton Thorson, QB who was on the Giants' practice squad for a while

Dravon Askew-Henry, CB also from our practice squad

Taywan Taylor, WR for Titans and Browns

Jack Tocho, Safety, who also played in the AAF and XFL

Scooby Wright, LB who is nicknamed Scooby

and Cary Angeline, a 6'7" TE who went undrafted last year.