Dirk Koetter sticking around for 2018, Mike Smith and all assistant coaches too

bucsfan333

Listening to ira Kaufman on Thursdays podcast he made a valid point. 

Dirk has one good season and one bad. Firing dirk is telling all potential candidates one bad season and you’re done. The Bucs have a talented yet young and immature roster. It needs discipline and the defense has no talent outside of some players in the secondary, LB core and McCoy. 

To be honest I blame licht more than I blame coaching. He did a poor job evaluating our RB and DL. People can say OL but I think OL isn’t too 10. It’s in the middle of the pack that can use some tweaking. Not every sack is on them. 

I think mike smith is going to be fired unfortunately. I don’t think he’s incompetent. Fans are clueless. It’s been said many times. No pass rush equals a horrible defense. We may have the worst pass rush and DL in nfl history. You can’t blame coaching when he’s tried everything. 

Didnt  Lovie s defense have a bunch of turnovers his last season?  I guess you  could say there is progress because the defense is giving up 2 points less per game with 24.  Most assistants only get 2 years on their contracts, bringing back this entire staff is just wrong,  So if it is a talent issue, then Jay Hayes has to survive?  

They paid Mike Smith like another head coach.  There is an expectation that no matter the circumstances, you have to be close to average.  This defense was not average.  

The only reason Koetter didn't get canned was because of Jameis.  It certainly wasnt his game management and ability to establish a running game.  IMO, the evolution of Beckwith and Evans wont be enough to save Smith and Hayes.

12 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Didnt  Lovie s defense have a bunch of turnovers his last season?  I guess you  could say there is progress because the defense is giving up 2 points less per game with 24.  Most assistants only get 2 years on their contracts, bringing back this entire staff is just wrong,  So if it is a talent issue, then Jay Hayes has to survive?  

They paid Mike Smith like another head coach.  There is an expectation that no matter the circumstances, you have to be close to average.  This defense was not average.  

The only reason Koetter didn't get canned was because of Jameis.  It certainly wasnt his game management and ability to establish a running game.  IMO, the evolution of Beckwith and Evans wont be enough to save Smith and Hayes.

I really don’t know with Smith. He showed what could be done with a decent pass rush towards the end of last season, but the same players couldn’t replicate that this season. There’s not a single player on that DLine (outside of McCoy anyway) who hasn’t underperformed and we simply didn’t invest in the right players to improve the unit. 

Baker should be gone. Gholston might not be back at that number. Ayers should be gone too. That leaves lots of roster spots on that unit to fill in the offseason. 

We simply need to draft and develop DLine. Easier said than done.

Just now, REDandPEWTER said:

Mike smith had no talent to work with up front. No edge rushers. Our DLINE was putrid. That falls on licht. 

Mike smith was throwing different looks just to generate something Bc he had garbage to work with. 

Sure, our dline is a mess. But the scheme is worse. Cushions everywhere on WRs. Not giving up the explosive plays, while giving up everything underneath. The safety flip-flop we've got going on that confuses everyone in the secondary. The fact that it's taken half a season to start to turn things around the last two seasons is troubling.

I will give him props though. He's tried all kinds of formations up front to try and manufacture a pass rush. It hasn't worked. But damn is he trying.

I just think the overall scheme is bad though. And he doesn't seem keen to make changes to it. The formations change but the scheme is still the same.

I mean you play press and you’ll just see deep balls Bc there is no pass rush. I get it that it’s easy to point fingers at coaching but what about execution ? 

Im guaranteeing had we had an average pass rush we wouldn’t be talking about mike smith being fired. 

Scheme wasn’t bad last year when we closed out with great defensive play. Execution was great and the pass rush was good. 

Just now, REDandPEWTER said:

I mean you play press and you’ll just see deep balls Bc there is no pass rush. I get it that it’s easy to point fingers at coaching but what about execution ? 

Im guaranteeing had we had an average pass rush we wouldn’t be talking about mike smith being fired. 

With a better pass rush, we're probably not looking at a top five pick. And that changes a lot.

Just now, bucsfan333 said:

Sure, our dline is a mess. But the scheme is worse. Cushions everywhere on WRs. Not giving up the explosive plays, while giving up everything underneath. The safety flip-flop we've got going on that confuses everyone in the secondary. The fact that it's taken half a season to start to turn things around the last two seasons is troubling.

I will give him props though. He's tried all kinds of formations up front to try and manufacture a pass rush. It hasn't worked. But damn is he trying.

I just think the overall scheme is bad though. And he doesn't seem keen to make changes to it. The formations change but the scheme is still the same.

How many times has the A and B  gaps left unprotected during passing plays.  Is it that hard to make sure one guy stays in the middle of the LOS.  Talent issue can be debated, but the structure of the defense I agree is flawed.  How does David and Alexander have 0 sacks this season?  Even if the dline are a bunch of pylons, a scheme cant  be structured to at least give the LBs, slot CBS, and safeties to get home at least once in a season.  I agree with @bucsfan333 the scheme has much to be desired.

Something tells me this doesn’t bode well for licht. 

Koetter is being brought back per report’s. That means they may believe there is some talent deficiencies and personnel decisions that affected this team. 

Licht has been horrible in free agency and has neglected positions that are key. RB and edge rush were big needs this offseason and were bad. Licht could have cut doug martin no cap hit. He drafted the only RB that’s was putrid and they were bad with him last year. 

Archived