Dirk Koetter sticking around for 2018, Mike Smith and all assistant coaches too

bucsfan333

Koetter is not a position to make a stand who stays or who goes on his staff.  My hope is the following coaches are sent packing:  Smith, Hayes, Warhop, Bajakian, and Kaczor.  If that offer of ownership from the Raiders is true,  Gruden would be a fool not to take that offer.  I mean damn, good for him, talk about an offer that you can't refuse.  I think Del Rio makes a lot of sense for DC and Mike Tice for oline coach.  I would keep an eye on Brian Callahan as a possible  QB coach.  If Callahan possibly moves to Washington (his dad is Bill Callahan who is the assistant head coach), Matt Cavanaugh would make sense as a QB coach.

I'm really hoping Koetter takes a critical look at his staff.  I think he is smart enough to realize some of these assistants need to be replaced.  It sucks to let go of colleagues who you have know for many years, but giving himself the best opportunity for a long head coaching run in the NFL really should trump all.  Going to still be an interesting couple of weeks.

I THink there has to be changes made to koetters staff. I believe that is a stipulation on him returning. 

I believe a third year can be the learning year for koetter. Learn from what worked and what didn’t. If he fails to make adjustments he’s gone next year. 

I also don’t believe both bellichiks assistants leave. There will be good candidates next year. I do believe that. 

I would look at Defilipo from Philly as the OC in Tampa. Some folks in the media are hyping him as a head coaching prospect at 38-39 years old but he’s in his second year from Philly. See if they can poach him from Philly to be the OC

7 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Kwon and David are slightly undersized for a 4/3 defense. I don't think all 225lbs of Kwon could hold up in a 3/4.

If we do go the 3/4 route, I'd expect Key to be the pick at five.

I just watched the LSU/Bama game, Key was very impressive.  Extremely disruptive, set the edge well, not great in coverage.  If his medical checks out, going to be very tempting.

21 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Kwon and David are slightly undersized for a 4/3 defense. I don't think all 225lbs of Kwon could hold up in a 3/4.

If we do go the 3/4 route, I'd expect Key to be the pick at five.

How’s this for thought. Why not look at Zimmers son at DC? He’s currently the LBs coach in Minnesota. He can use Spence similar to how they use Barr and how Atlanta uses beasly ?

If Del Rio is out in Oakland, I agree that he is a very logical fit as our new DC, assuming Smith is fired at least. Koetter was his OC for a number of years in Jax so there is that connection. His son also plays QB at Florida so he’d be closer to him. Plus he made home in Jax for years as the HC so it’s not far from a place he called home for years. 

Idk if we’d go to 3-4. If we believe that Kwon, David and Beck are solid LBs, why put them out of position for an injury prone Spence? Sounds like it would be far easier to tell Spence to bulk up and draft a DL.

4 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Idk if we’d go to 3-4. If we believe that Kwon, David and Beck are solid LBs, why put them out of position for an injury prone Spence? Sounds like it would be far easier to tell Spence to bulk up and draft a DL.

That's what I don't get either. The only real "argument" I've seen for the switch is Spence. And he's far more replaceable than McCoy, David, and Kwon.

I'm not saying I wanna replace Spence. I don't wanna switch the entire defense for an unproven commodity that looks like he'd be better off in a 3/4.

5 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

The Titans are expected to go after McDaniels if they miss the playoffs. The Lions are expected to push hard for Patricia.

Neat.

So what the Raiders, Lions, Titans (all had better records than us) change coaches but we sit tight because we suck every year and can’t keep changing???

I’m ready for the 3-4 switch as well.

McCoy and Gholston can man the edge and bring in Poe to lock the middle down.

Spence and our first play the outside backers and Alexander/David on the inside. Both can tackle and have good speed. 

Not pounding the table for it but I’d be for it if we did change.

1 hour ago, deuces22wild said:

So what the Raiders, Lions, Titans (all had better records than us) change coaches but we sit tight because we suck every year and can’t keep changing???

Basically. At some point the madness has to stop. Plus, we aren’t paying Gruden $10mil+. Aside from him the coaching pool is bleak this off-season and why would McDaniels or Patricia want to come here? 1 bad year and fired. No thanks.

Archived