Dirk Koetter sticking around for 2018, Mike Smith and all assistant coaches too

bucsfan333

7 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Y'know. JoeBuc, PR, Stroud, and everyone else that writes for the Bucs should be the ones to blame when our home games next year are empty. They've spent the better part of the last month or so writing about how Dirk sucks at this, and how he sucks at that. How we should hire Gruden. How this is bad and the only fix starts with firing the coaching staff.

Sure, we've sucked this year. And Koetter has been part of the problem. But he's been painted as THE problem. And it's been rammed down our throats for the last six weeks. So of course guys are gonna be upset we're keeping him around. 

Good luck getting/keeping fan support when your beat writers have spent most of the season talking about how the head coach should be fired; only to be given one more year.

I agree, but winning will fix it. I would be shocked if major staff changes don’t happen. I don’t care how buddy buddy DK is with Smith etc. He’s literally signing a death wish by keeping those guys. I think the Glazers told DK what they expect and I think he’s grateful to keep his job. You’d think he could next add 1+1.

8 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

I agree, but winning will fix it. I would be shocked if major staff changes don’t happen. I don’t care how buddy buddy DK is with Smith etc. He’s literally signing a death wish by keeping those guys. I think the Glazers told DK what they expect and I think he’s grateful to keep his job. You’d think he could next add 1+1.

Winning fixes everything.

Spending big on solid players in FA will calm me down. Obviously nobody wants to flip staffs every two years but production is the name of the game. Our record better flip in 2018 or Dirk can be shown the door. I had big expectations going into the season only to have them crushed and another top five pick this offseason. Couldn’t imagine what it would be like to be. Browns fan. 

2 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Side note. Does anyone believe the rumor on the street that the reason we are keeping Koetter is because we couldn’t get Gruden or meet his demands?

If Gruden wanted a massive contract, total team control, Allen back etc i wouldn’t be shocked if that’s why Dirk. I don’t see Gruden coming back if he did turn down the Tampa job. Won a SB, young QB and roster overall, massive cap space. 

2 minutes ago, deuces22wild said:

If Gruden wanted a massive contract, total team control, Allen back etc i wouldn’t be shocked if that’s why Dirk. I don’t see Gruden coming back if he did turn down the Tampa job. Won a SB, young QB and roster overall, massive cap space. 

True. And if that is what he wanted...I’m honestly glad we didn’t sign him back. Gruden isn’t Vince Lombardi and pretending he is won’t help the team. Fantasizing about what he could do for the team vs what he would do are likely two completely different things.

4 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

True. And if that is what he wanted...I’m honestly glad we didn’t sign him back. Gruden isn’t Vince Lombardi and pretending he is won’t help the team. Fantasizing about what he could do for the team vs what he would do are likely two completely different things.

I sure do miss the juice he brought though.

17 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Side note. Does anyone believe the rumor on the street that the reason we are keeping Koetter is because we couldn’t get Gruden or meet his demands?

It wouldn't be the first time the Glazers talked to other coaches without having a coaching vacancy. So it's certainly possible.

52 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

Red zone playcalling must improve. That’s something that Koetter is directly responsible for. Let’s hope for an improvement this Sunday.

I ve seen the pistol used and actually slants.  I have a feeling Monken gets play calling duties.   The special teams has been as bad as the defense.  All the penalties, 2 blocks, and 1 return for TD.  Time for Koetter to be more then head coach of the offense.

2 hours ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Thats $10 mil per if so. Bill Belichek makes $7.5 mil to put that into perspective.

I dont have a problem with LaMonte asking that much, nor do I have a problem with the Glazers walking away.  You would figure term would have been a minimum of 5 years.  As far as coaching changes, I see no way they promote Duffner.  Smith had less years away from calling a defense, then Duffner.

Would an established DC even want the Job?  Really don't have that answer, really curious what direction  they go.  I think Monken has some real potential to be a special coach, I hope he gets to show it next season for the Bucs.

I’d keep Smith to be honest. He’s a proven coach who’s had an absolutely terrible DLine to work with. It would seem slightly harsh to fire him for only managing to get trash out of trash. 

I do think the defence needs to be changed up. Guys in the secondary need to be used to their strengths, which isn’t something we seem to have done this season. 

Given that the coaching staff is probably surviving, I think that says a lot about the way Licht built the team. The two most important units (both lines) are the worst areas on the team, he sent us into the season with a terrible kicker all while Murray sat on his couch and he didn’t properly address the RB position.

I expect quite a lot of roster turnover.

4 hours ago, Buc Ball said:

I’d keep Smith to be honest. He’s a proven coach who’s had an absolutely terrible DLine to work with. It would seem slightly harsh to fire him for only managing to get trash out of trash. 

I do think the defence needs to be changed up. Guys in the secondary need to be used to their strengths, which isn’t something we seem to have done this season. 

Given that the coaching staff is probably surviving, I think that says a lot about the way Licht built the team. The two most important units (both lines) are the worst areas on the team, he sent us into the season with a terrible kicker all while Murray sat on his couch and he didn’t properly address the RB position.

I expect quite a lot of roster turnover.

That’s where I agree on keeping smith. He has no talent on the DLINE outside of McCoy and we’re beating the heck out of him with the snap counts he plays too. He has no help and he’s getting to the latter part of his career. 

People also don’t take into account turnovers. Our defense has played well in recent weeks. Offense needs to score points. 

I do think dirk will need to relinquish play calling duties. 

Archived