Wild trade ideas

Louis Friend

What do you think the chances are that we pick at 32?  I bet we trade out of that spot.  Here's my reasoning behind it and how some scenarios might play out:

Teams trade up for a WR: If a team wants to a specific WR they will have to get in front of/compete with these teams picking(in order): DET, JAX, DET, NYJ, NYG, HOU, NYJ, CHI.  That's just the first 8 picks, including 32.  Realistic chances a team will have a first round grade on a WR that's still there.

Teams trade up for a LB: Similar to a WR, I think there is a good chance that because of the depth at LB and the questions of the top two guys they will fall.  I think there is a very slim chance Lloyd is there but I wouldn't doubt if Dean is still there as there are a lot of questions about his size.  If a team has a much higher grade on one of Muma, Chenal, Dean, Harris, etc they might make the move.

Teams trade up for a QB: 5th year option is big for QB rookie contracts.  I could see a team like SEA, NYG, IND, ATL, CLE, MIN, NO, or PIT making the move to get a guy they like.

Teams trade up for EDGE: The depth a EDGE, a premium position, this year is crazy.  Every team needs pass rush and you can't have too many of them.  I could definitely see a team make a small trade up to grab one.

Teams trade up for a S or OT: I think there is a big drop off in talent in both positions and I could see a team making a move to get their guy, though pick 34 might be the more likely target for these postions.

1 minute ago, Millenhater said:

What do you think the chances are that we pick at 32?  I bet we trade out of that spot.  Here's my reasoning behind it and how some scenarios might play out:

Teams trade up for a WR: If a team wants to a specific WR they will have to get in front of/compete with these teams picking(in order): DET, JAX, DET, NYJ, NYG, HOU, NYJ, CHI.  That's just the first 8 picks, including 32.  Realistic chances a team will have a first round grade on a WR that's still there.

Teams trade up for a LB: Similar to a WR, I think there is a good chance that because of the depth at LB and the questions of the top two guys they will fall.  I think there is a very slim chance Lloyd is there but I wouldn't doubt if Dean is still there as there are a lot of questions about his size.  If a team has a much higher grade on one of Muma, Chenal, Dean, Harris, etc they might make the move.

Teams trade up for a QB: 5th year option is big for QB rookie contracts.  I could see a team like SEA, NYG, IND, ATL, CLE, MIN, NO, or PIT making the move to get a guy they like.

Teams trade up for EDGE: The depth a EDGE, a premium position, this year is crazy.  Every team needs pass rush and you can't have too many of them.  I could definitely see a team make a small trade up to grab one.

Teams trade up for a S or OT: I think there is a big drop off in talent in both positions and I could see a team making a move to get their guy, though pick 34 might be the more likely target for these postions.

A trade out of #32 is our most likely option.  It would be nice to have an additional 2nd and/or 3rd round pick.

6 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

They?  The Lions have no business using draft picks to move up unless an elite player falls or they believe that player makes them a Super Bowl contender.

If there is a player they believe will make a bigger difference than players they draft with the picks given up, they would be foolish not to do it.

They have a responsibility to assess possibilities not simply fall in line with popular opinion. The Lions have holes in the roster but they also have a need for star players. How they add them is a choice they have to make.

Edited by diehardlionfan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

If there is a player they believe will make a bigger difference than players they draft with the picks given up, they would be foolish not to do it.

They have a responsibility to assess possibilities not simply fall in line with popular opinion.

Our major holes:  WR (multiple), S (at least one, possibly two), LB (two) and Edge/DE (at least one).  You could make the argument that we need a CB also due to the uncertainty with Jeff Okudah and #2/3 TE because Brock Wright is our #2 TE.   Even with free agency, we have too many holes to fill to be be trading away draft picks.

I agree with DHLF. Lions aren't at the point in their rebuild to simply fill holes, they need to find foundational pieces to build around. I'd move picks for one or two of those. We are not going to build everything this off-season. But if we can add 3-4 starters and a couple depth pieces, we'll be in good shape. 

53 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

The best analogy I can think of is the Baltimore Ravens.  They let the draft come to them and they are pretty smart when it comes to picking players that fit their team.  The more draft picks you have, the more chances you have at finding long-term answers (starters and depth).

They are a good example as are the Steelers, but there are many ways to build a championship team. The counter point to this is the Rams approach team building. 

55 minutes ago, BarryTheBest said:

They are a good example as are the Steelers, but there are many ways to build a championship team. The counter point to this is the Rams approach team building. 

Can't really fully embrace the Rams' approach until you have a competitive team.

On 3/8/2022 at 3:19 PM, Karnage84 said:

Apparently Lockett is available

If he or Metcalf is available, I'd be on the phone in a hurry.

8 hours ago, Millenhater said:

The Rams were built as a team of stars and scrubs.  What if Holmes goes that same route?  Here's a scenario:

At 2 they draft Hutch.

Hamilton starts to slide a little, to say picks 8-11.  The Lions pull a Julio Jones trade something like 32, 34 and next years 1st or 2nd.

The Lions leave the draft with Hutchinson, Hamilton and in the third grab one of the LBs or WRs (both positions are stacked).  That's two potential superstars to and another starter or two in this draft. 

Overstatement. The Rams' biggest strength was the ability to find solid starters in the mid and late rounds. Holmes was a big part of that. You can afford to trade away picks in the early round for stars if you have the ability to plug the holes around them with solid guys. What the Rams understood that too few other teams did is that there are only so many great/elite players in the NFL. Basically, there's a shortage. Those guys are worth their weight in gold. Conversely, there are a lot of guys capable of being solid starters if developed and used properly.

12 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

The best analogy I can think of is the Baltimore Ravens.  They let the draft come to them and they are pretty smart when it comes to picking players that fit their team.  The more draft picks you have, the more chances you have at finding long-term answers (starters and depth).

There’s more than one way to build a roster. The Lions need to have some playmakers. The roster can be filled in with free agents, UDFA and via trade. Elite players are far harder to acquire than competent players. 

In my view I would understand if they targeted a player and moved up. They need players to build around.