And the Pick is... NOT... in

vike daddy

6 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

eh. to me, it shows a me first attitude, not i can't wait to get to the NFL and be part of a new team.

I think rookies are getting wiser and understanding that it’s a business first and their career could be over by the age of 30, possibly much sooner for others. Not going to shame them for that. Veteran free agents do it all the time. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I think rookies are getting wiser and understanding that it’s a business first and their career could be over by the age of 30, possibly much sooner for others. Not going to shame them for that. Veteran free agents do it all the time. 

and i think there's a difference between being a vet who has proved himself, and a rookie who has not, first of all.

i agree with his money management plans, i just don't think he needed to publicize it.

On 3/5/2022 at 3:01 PM, vikesfan89 said:

That's unusual but I wouldn't say that it's a big character flaw to have a preference on what state they go to

Even if you believe it, don't tell anyone about it.  

And the reality is, I don't think high taxes have ever deterred anyone from playing in California.  It's really a bogus reason, and if you use that (which I know a lot of NBA players have) as a reason, you're really not looking at the big picture.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, swede700 said:

Even if you believe it, don't tell anyone about it.  

And the reality is, I don't think high taxes have ever deterred anyone from playing in California.  It's really a bogus reason, and if you use that (which I know a lot of NBA players have) as a reason, you're really not looking at the big picture.  

I’d assume the big picture is maximizing earnings not necessarily championships for professional players. Obviously if all things are equal, which often are not, I’d assume a player is going to choose the destination that offers the most money at the end of the day and a players agent should guide them to what that destination should be. Look at the Florida and Texas teams, they don’t seem to have issues drawing free agent talent. They can offer market level contracts to free agents knowing those players will get to keep more of their own hard earned money at the end of the day. It’s not like the Bucs, Jags, Texans and Dolphins have consistently been good teams but they never have problems attracting free agents. 

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I’d assume the big picture is maximizing earnings not necessarily championships for professional players. Obviously if all things are equal, which often are not, I’d assume a player is going to choose the destination that offers the most money at the end of the day and a players agent should guide them to what that destination should be. Look at the Florida and Texas teams, they don’t seem to have issues drawing free agent talent. They can offer market level contracts to free agents knowing those players will get to keep more of their own hard earned money at the end of the day. It’s not like the Bucs, Jags, Texans and Dolphins have consistently been good teams but they never have problems attracting free agents. 

However, a great number of players come from those regions to begin with, along with the weather, which helps attract free agents.  And the Jags, Dolphins and Texans have all had huge issues drawing free agents, because their organizations are terrible.  I don't think taxes are that big of a factor, unless that is their sole motive for even playing in the league.  It's a factor, but I don't believe it's a major factor.  If it is, I wouldn't prioritize that player in the draft, because I have to question their motivation for playing in this league.  I wouldn't eliminate him from the board, but I'm not valuing him as highly, especially if my organization is a high-tax state, because he's likely to bolt at his first opportunity, so why waste my time and money.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, swede700 said:

However, a great number of players come from those regions to begin with, along with the weather, which helps attract free agents.  And the Jags, Dolphins and Texans have all had huge issues drawing free agents, because their organizations are terrible.  I don't think taxes are that big of a factor, unless that is their sole motive for even playing in the league.  It's a factor, but I don't believe it's a major factor.  If it is, I wouldn't prioritize that player in the draft, because I have to question their motivation for playing in this league.  I wouldn't eliminate him from the board, but I'm not valuing him as highly, especially if my organization is a high-tax state, because he's likely to bolt at his first opportunity, so why waste my time and money.

If you’re a high tax state, I think you’ve got to overcome it with other draws, whatever those may be.. facilities, culture, quality of living, winning tradition, etc. 

Money of course isn’t everything but I assume it’s the biggest motivator, for most professions. Maybe these players make so much it doesn’t matter much at the end of the day. 

9 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Money of course isn’t everything but I assume it’s the biggest motivator, for most professions. Maybe these players make so much it doesn’t matter much at the end of the day. 

The reality is, if they have a good financial advisor, they won't have to really worry much about the taxes anyway.  This is America, after all.  LOL!

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

The reality is, if they have a good financial advisor, they won't have to really worry much about the taxes anyway.  This is America, after all.  LOL!

Doesn’t mean teams don’t use tax difference in take home pay as part of their sales pitch. They cover everything for tier 1 & tier 2 free agents

My wish list in order, decided to list 12 names for worst case scenario barring we don't trade down.

#1 Derek Stingley JR

#2 Kyle Hamilton

#3 Aiden Hutchinson

#4 Kayvon Thibodeaux 

#5 Ahmad "Sauce" Gardener

#6 Evan Neal (why not)

#7 Tyler Linderbaum (turn one of the C into RG?)

#8 Sam Howell

#9 Ikem Ekwonu

#10 David Ojabo (could probably switch 7-10 around anyway your want)

#11 Daxton Hill

#12 Charles Cross ( gotta look into Booth and McDuffie more)

Is there someone else I should be excited about?

On 3/7/2022 at 5:31 PM, CriminalMind said:

Doesn’t mean teams don’t use tax difference in take home pay as part of their sales pitch. They cover everything for tier 1 & tier 2 free agents

Never said they don't, but I don't really want players who use that argument as a primary basis for where they prefer to play.  

• Like 1