Bengals Draft

THE DUKE

17 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Well we know the team thinks Carman isn't as good as Spain, so why not re-sign Spain instead of using a midround draft pick? It's not like Spain will be expensive since nobody else has offered him a job either. That draft pick could have been any of lots of good players. 

The Athletic podcast discusses that this week. The Bengals felt he slowed down towards the end of the year and he will be 31 by camp. They are likely offering him a low deal to be a backup and that is why he hasn't re-signed. 

9 minutes ago, ochocinco4pres said:

The Athletic podcast discusses that this week. The Bengals felt he slowed down towards the end of the year and he will be 31 by camp. They are likely offering him a low deal to be a backup and that is why he hasn't re-signed. 

Which would also explain all the tweets about disrespect and counting him out.  For the guy who got beat on our last offensive play of the year he sure talks alot.

4 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Which would also explain all the tweets about disrespect and counting him out.  For the guy who got beat on our last offensive play of the year he sure talks alot.

Eli Apple??? Kidding. But he does as well. 

The Bengals rarely resign there own especially when they are over 30. But for as bad as O lines are in the NFL, it is also interesting he hasn't signed anywhere else. 

1 minute ago, ochocinco4pres said:

Eli Apple??? Kidding. But he does as well. 

The Bengals rarely resign there own especially when they are over 30. But for as bad as O lines are in the NFL, it is also interesting he hasn't signed anywhere else. 

I don't mean too much disrespect because he was a nice upgrade at the time, but Spain was cut from Buffalo for a reason.  I doubt he had too many other options to start at the time considering he came to the Bengals who were just coming off another disaster of a season.

Just now, THE DUKE said:

I don't mean too much disrespect because he was a nice upgrade at the time, but Spain was cut from Buffalo for a reason.  I doubt he had too many other options to start at the time considering he came to the Bengals who were just coming off another disaster of a season.

Absolutely. He started a game like 3 days after showing up after he was cut. Was a huge piece on our line last year, but like most had issues. I still don't mind the idea of bringing him back as a backup, but I am also ok with them giving a guy like Carman or Vollson a shot. 

1 hour ago, ochocinco4pres said:

I haven't seen a single analyst say CTB is better suited for nickel. And that pick has gotten great reviews by most analysts. I saw almost everyone had CTB ranked around the 60s. So maybe you are looking at different things than I am, but that value was spot on from what I read. 

My point is, they could have signed both those guys after the draft if they wanted to. So I can't be mad they didn't keep their 6th and 7th round picks to use on those guys. 

From a piece in The Athletic on biggest reaches of the draft:

Cam Taylor-Britt: Had Taylor-Britt been tagged as a traditional cornerback, this would have been seen as an even trade for the Bengals — the 60th overall pick for an important position of need, albeit ranked a bit lower than where they picked. But nickel cornerbacks tend to go much later in the draft, and the NFL has historically pushed them down. Some experts don’t consider him a nickel corner, and if that’s the case, the Bengals move looks better.

https://theathletic.com/3286462/2022/05/01/nfl-draft-steals-reaches-consensus/

Ultimately you are entitled to your opinion so I cannot argue that. I disagree that CTB is a reach and obviously am OK with the trades. For once this team wasn't forced to draft for immediate need/starters and it was refreshing. 

I did have opinions on which players they picked, but as noted earlier, I am not overly familiar with every player in this draft. The team has proven to draft D line really well in the middle rounds. Carter seemed like a reach, but if he can move into 3T and get some pass rush, sign me up. They have always sucked at drafting O line so Vollson is worrisome for sure, but I am willing to see it play out. 

I would have loved to signed Covey after the draft as a KR for sure. Next years draft class is loaded at TE, so not taking one in a rather weak class doesn't worry me too much. The Bengals podcast talked today about Emmanuel Sanders as a potential receiver they bring in as a vet. But who knows for sure 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 10:08 AM, sparky151 said:

But we already have a young guy who can play inside or outside. His name is Cam Sample and he was a much better college player than Zach Carter. Maybe Carter will turn out to be a better pro than Sample but he's an obvious liability in run defense, so much so that teams can run at him on 3rd and 5 or less. Let's not make it easier on opposing offenses. 

Sample has proven absolutely nothing besides being a warm body. He provided barely any effective snaps last year, inside or out. Carter is an attempt to replace Larry Ogunjobi’s situational pass rushing, which was still a large hole. He will contribute there.

Did I mention Carter shouldn’t be in there for rushing downs?

On 5/3/2022 at 10:08 AM, sparky151 said:

Carman is supposed to be the long-term starter at LG. If we're already throwing in the towel on him, then sign a vet instead of repeating the mistake of trying to convert a college tackle to an NFL guard. If Carman stinks this year, see what D'Ante Smith or Hakeem Adeniji can do. They are also young players and theoretically should be improving. 

And if Carman isn’t the long term answer, then what? Volson is insurance to Carman’s ineffectiveness, and a better prospect than Smith or Adeniji. Speaking of those two, haven’t you seen enough already? Did Adeniji’s  playoff run not seal that for you?

On 5/3/2022 at 12:33 PM, sparky151 said:

From a piece in The Athletic on biggest reaches of the draft:

Cam Taylor-Britt: Had Taylor-Britt been tagged as a traditional cornerback, this would have been seen as an even trade for the Bengals — the 60th overall pick for an important position of need, albeit ranked a bit lower than where they picked. But nickel cornerbacks tend to go much later in the draft, and the NFL has historically pushed them down. Some experts don’t consider him a nickel corner, and if that’s the case, the Bengals move looks better.

https://theathletic.com/3286462/2022/05/01/nfl-draft-steals-reaches-consensus/

It literally says “..and if that’s the case, the Bengals move looks better”. Which it does, because they don’t view him that way. 

4 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Sample has proven absolutely nothing besides being a warm body. He provided barely any effective snaps last year, inside or out. Carter is an attempt to replace Larry Ogunjobi’s situational pass rushing, which was still a large hole. He will contribute there.

Did I mention Carter shouldn’t be in there for rushing downs?

And if Carman isn’t the long term answer, then what? Volson is insurance to Carman’s ineffectiveness, and a better prospect than Smith or Adeniji. Speaking of those two, haven’t you seen enough already? Did Adeniji’s  playoff run not seal that for you?

Well, that's the point. It's up to the other team's offense whether they run or pass. Putting Carter on the field at DT is improving their chances of getting yards via a handoff instead of a pass. If they can run for 4 or 5 yards on 3rd down by running at Carter, he'd be a liability, not an asset.

If Carman stinks, get Spain in as insurance for 2022. Then either use a high pick in 2023 at LG or even better sign a proven vet. We shouldn't risk Burrow's health on expectations of improvement from players who weren't good enough last season. Adeniji is a tackle, not a guard btw. The Bengals don't seem to be able to tell the difference but everyone else can. 

4 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

It literally says “..and if that’s the case, the Bengals move looks better”. Which it does, because they don’t view him that way. 

They are comparing players draft position to their ranking on the consensus big board. It has a good track record of predicting future NFL success and it ranked CTB as the 86th best player in the draft. Bengals took him at 60 (after trading up). He seems likely to be put in competition with Apple for an outside CB position with Hill as the backup slot CB behind Hilton. But he's still the 86th ranked player regardless of where he was drafted. 

14 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Well, that's the point. It's up to the other team's offense whether they run or pass. Putting Carter on the field at DT is improving their chances of getting yards via a handoff instead of a pass. If they can run for 4 or 5 yards on 3rd down by running at Carter, he'd be a liability, not an asset.

If it's 3rd and 8 and they rush up the middle for 6 yards over Carter, then job well done and their OC is a moron.

Director of College Scouting for the Bengals did the podcast car wash this week. Said that in the 2nd round, they had like 5 guys they were targeting with 8 picks left. Then all the guys they had on the board were taken outside of CTB. Rather than risk losing him and dropping to another tier of player, they made the move up. 

He addressed Carter and Vollson as well. Saying that they have have been slight reaches, but based on their board and what they wanted, they didn't think they would make it to the next round so they made the pick to get the guy they wanted. Also appears Anderson was at least discussed with earlier picks and when he was available in the fifth they saw too much value not to move up for him.