Bengals Draft

THE DUKE

1 minute ago, Beck Bristow said:

It wasn't necessarily the draft I wanted, but it's solid. Definitely surprised we didn't get a tight end or a guard/center type, since there was depth there well into day 2. Volson is fine, but feels more like a tackle to me. Would have been a good spot to take Tom, as others have mentioned. 

I do think the UDFA center from Ole Miss could make the team. Bruglar had him as a 4th round pick. 

7 minutes ago, ochocinco4pres said:

I do think the UDFA center from Ole Miss could make the team. Bruglar had him as a 4th round pick. 

Maybe, they liked Trey Hill just last year too, so it could be an uphill battle.

Carter and Vollson were significant reaches and we could have had players like Jeremy Ruckert and Zyon McCollum or Tariq Woolen instead. The 6th round pick we gave up to get CTB could have been a good kick returner/slot receiver like Britain Covey. Or Haskell Garrett, an actual DT to backup Hill. 

I saw where some analysts gave the Bengals one of the lower grades in the draft in terms of what players we got compared to the draft capital we had. 

Edited by sparky151

1 minute ago, sparky151 said:

Carter and Vollson were significant reaches and we could have had players like Jeremy Ruckert and Zyon McCollum or Tariq Woolen instead. The 6th round pick we gave up to get CTB could have been a good kick returner/slot receiver like Britain Covey. Or Haskell Garrett, an actual DT to backup Hill. 

I saw where some analysts gave the Bengals one of the lower grades in the draft in terms of what players we got compared to the draft capital we had. 

Sure the 6th could be a guy like that. But we could also have missed out on him and not gotten a potential CB2 in this draft. Giving up that 6th to ensure you get a guy like CTB is absolutely worth it. 

Aren't Covey and Garrett both guys who went undrafted? 

30 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Maybe, they liked Trey Hill just last year too, so it could be an uphill battle.

I'm glad they at least got some competition for him. Would have preferred an outright replacement but can't get everything it seems. 

14 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

I'm glad they at least got some competition for him. Would have preferred an outright replacement but can't get everything it seems. 

Unless you're an established quality starter, i'm always in favor of competition

25 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Disagree.  Carter was only a reach if you see him strictly as a DT or DE.  He excels at rushing inside and setting the edge.  Think Wallace Gilberry.  

Vollson is a guy they were high on and a team leader.  The locker room culture thing seems to be a theme.  Why rock that boat?

• Like 1

Zac and crew have a type, and this draft class seems to fit that to a T

Dax Hill - Wasn't a captain, but as a junior in a very senior laden team that isn't all that surprising.  Listen to his interviews, very impressive young man and a guy that exudes leadership.  100% would have been a captain in 2022 if he was back

Cam Taylor-Britt - Team captain at Nebraska

Zach Carter - Team captain at Florida, all SEC community service team

Cordell Volson - TWO time team captain at North Dakota State

Tycen Anderson - THREE time team captain at Toledo, literally has a degree in leadership

Jeff Gunter - Doesn't appear to have been a captain, but at pick 252, only so many captains left I guess.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ochocinco4pres said:

Sure the 6th could be a guy like that. But we could also have missed out on him and not gotten a potential CB2 in this draft. Giving up that 6th to ensure you get a guy like CTB is absolutely worth it. 

Aren't Covey and Garrett both guys who went undrafted? 

Most analysts think CTB is better suited to be a nickel CB than an outside CB. We already had nickel CB covered with Hill. We also took CTB at pick 60 which is a lot higher than he was generally rated.

Yes, Covey and Garrett were both undrafted. But they're both decent players and the sort you should hope to find late in the draft. Simmons said he wanted a returner to put the fear of God in opponents. Covey did that all year including the Rose Bowl. Garrett was a first team all-American in 2020 and is a better DT than Carter.

3 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Unless you're an established quality starter, i'm always in favor of competition

Well we know the team thinks Carman isn't as good as Spain, so why not re-sign Spain instead of using a midround draft pick? It's not like Spain will be expensive since nobody else has offered him a job either. That draft pick could have been any of lots of good players. 

3 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Disagree.  Carter was only a reach if you see him strictly as a DT or DE.  He excels at rushing inside and setting the edge.  Think Wallace Gilberry.  

Vollson is a guy they were high on and a team leader.  The locker room culture thing seems to be a theme.  Why rock that boat?

Carter was famously bad against the run at Florida. He's a good sized, good effort guy with not a lot of skills. He may be a better interior pass rusher than Shelvin or Tupou but putting him in there also lets the opponent run the ball on 3rd and not too long. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Most analysts think CTB is better suited to be a nickel CB than an outside CB.

Most analysts don’t know what they’re talking about. CTB was a boundary corner at Nebraska and ran a 4.38. How is he not boundary material?

• Like 1

Carter was famously bad against the run at Florida. He's a good sized, good effort guy with not a lot of skills. He may be a better interior pass rusher than Shelvin or Tupou but putting him in there also lets the opponent run the ball on 3rd and not too long. 

Carter’s job will be to rush the passer in obvious passing situations.

Well we know the team thinks Carman isn't as good as Spain, so why not re-sign Spain instead of using a midround draft pick? It's not like Spain will be expensive since nobody else has offered him a job either. That draft pick could have been any of lots of good players. 

Maybe because we want to groom a long-term starter with more potential and not an average, aging vet who’s play could fall off at any point?

Glad to see you are still your weirdly negative self.

• Like 1

But we already have a young guy who can play inside or outside. His name is Cam Sample and he was a much better college player than Zach Carter. Maybe Carter will turn out to be a better pro than Sample but he's an obvious liability in run defense, so much so that teams can run at him on 3rd and 5 or less. Let's not make it easier on opposing offenses. 

Carman is supposed to be the long-term starter at LG. If we're already throwing in the towel on him, then sign a vet instead of repeating the mistake of trying to convert a college tackle to an NFL guard. If Carman stinks this year, see what D'Ante Smith or Hakeem Adeniji can do. They are also young players and theoretically should be improving. 

Instead of Carter and Vollson, we could have had Ruckert and McCollum. 

17 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Most analysts think CTB is better suited to be a nickel CB than an outside CB. We already had nickel CB covered with Hill. We also took CTB at pick 60 which is a lot higher than he was generally rated.

Yes, Covey and Garrett were both undrafted. But they're both decent players and the sort you should hope to find late in the draft. Simmons said he wanted a returner to put the fear of God in opponents. Covey did that all year including the Rose Bowl. Garrett was a first team all-American in 2020 and is a better DT than Carter.

I haven't seen a single analyst say CTB is better suited for nickel. And that pick has gotten great reviews by most analysts. I saw almost everyone had CTB ranked around the 60s. So maybe you are looking at different things than I am, but that value was spot on from what I read. 

My point is, they could have signed both those guys after the draft if they wanted to. So I can't be mad they didn't keep their 6th and 7th round picks to use on those guys.