Rodgers reportedly coming back

Arthur Penske

1 hour ago, Sandy said:

It's not "media pressure", per say.

This is Green Bay. It's not the top of the vacation destination list for most players. Once the HOF QB is gone, it won't have a guaranteed SB chance that's draws quality players in or convinces others to stay. If you have no HOF QB, don't play in a big or warm city, and a reputation for my way or the highway when it comes to contract offers, you'll start a worse stretch of Packers play than the 70s and 80s.

It still appalls me that so many people here still side with the billionaires with generational wealth over the players making millions for their families that have often been in poverty for decades.

Also - if anyone's rebuttal to this is some iteration of "BuT rOdGeRs CaNt WiN a SuPeR bOwL" then please close your mouth when you're breathing and wipe off the drool, you're making us look bad.

lol at the bolded. I'm probably one of the furthest to the left/progressive as there is on this forum and even I think this is asinine. This isn't some players union vs. the Jerry Joneses thing. And no one here is saying "shut up and play". It's "The Packers should have moved on" vs. "let's keep him around". If Rodgers had gotten traded, he still would have made bank.

Obviously Green Bay will have more difficulties in attracting free agents from the lifestyle aspect. At the same time, this isn't the '90s and, thanks to the internet, a lot of these younger players find things to do at home (See - MVS and AJ Dillon both Twitch streaming in their downtime). If you have the money and will spend the money, they will come.

Also, Trent Baalke has a **** reputation and he still gets players to come to Jacksonville.

Edited by Striker
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Striker said:

You forgot the important part of "Have a completely underwhelming year 3, leading them to draft his successor and then suffer a torn labrum in Week 16 of his bounce back year".

Actually he was underwhelming for three seasons, which led to the Rivers draft pick, then became "pretty good" for one year before the injury. He didn't reach superstar status until NO.

32 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

1. No they didn't. The Patriots roster outside of Brady declined that year a lot. 

2. Gute isn't out of a job if he trades Rodgers for a king's ransom and starts over. Pete Carroll isn't even going to be out of a job in Seattle. 

You absolutely have to tell franchise players to sit down and shut up if you want to be successful. 

This is exactly how you tear a team to shreds. Tell your stars to STFU and accept the pay you want to give them. Why do you love billionaires so much?

25 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

We won’t win another Super Bowl with Rodgers.

This is dumb and you’re all dumb for thinking we’re ever going to win another one with this dumb idiot.

Well there it is. Never mind, you've convinced me, trade everyone and let's just rebuild.

1 minute ago, Sandy said:

Actually he was underwhelming for three seasons, which led to the Rivers draft pick, then became "pretty good" for one year before the injury. He didn't reach superstar status until NO.

I would say his year 2 was "fine". Pretty much what you'd expect from a year 2 starter, especially in the early 2000s.

2003 was definitely the "wheels came off" season though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sandy said:

This is exactly how you tear a team to shreds. Tell your stars to STFU and accept the pay you want to give them. Why do you love billionaires so much?

The NFL is a business. Players understand that it is a business. So long as each guy gets theirs, nobody is going to say ****. 

Rodgers signed the damn contract. Rodgers can live with the damn contract.

Rodgers is part of the union that signed the CBA that agreed to the Franchise Tag. Rodgers can play on the Franchise Tag. 

Do you have brain damage? Again with the Billionaires thing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Well there it is. Never mind, you've convinced me, trade everyone and let's just rebuild.

This isn't baseball, the billionaires thing is just dumb, dilutes your point. NFL owners all spend cash, even the ones with crappy teams. When it comes to the Packers, Rodgers probably has a greater net worth than everyone involved with his contract combined. 

16 minutes ago, Striker said:

The NFL is random but it's not 1 in 13.9M random.

Just looking at the past results, these past two years are *probably* the best shots the Packers would have in terms of roster construction and injury and game run-good. It's hard to see where the roster gets better (unless Gute *absolutely* knocks it out of the park with the draft) and Rodgers performance improves/how he doesn't eventually slip due to age.

I agree with your take for the most part except that I truly believe if our preferred Oline or even something close to it, we hold up the Lombardi this year so injury to that group held us back. Of course, without the completely forseable, slow motion cluster**** that was ST, we still would have had an excellent chance. 

I was ready to move on but it was pretty plain to see we were going to move mountains to keep Aaron. in the short term, we should still be very competitive in the NFCN but we’ll see how far this team can go after that. 12 needs to get past his OCD and realize he’s going to have to elevate some young guys who are not going to be able to read his mind because we will not be able to afford high end vets across the board. Might see Gute have to embrace his inner  Tightwad Ted and heavily churn for some udfa.  So far, he has found some bargains in fa but we are definitely not going to be picking up the premium picks. As usual, draft like the smartest guy in the room, Gute!  Solving the puzzle started this week we will know the results by next February. 

21 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

This is so dumb. Literally any of you who likes Aaron Rodgers still I dislike. Biggest egomaniac in the history of the sport.

We are now a minimum of 5 years from winning a Super Bowl.

How they can expect to pay Rodgers this much money and compete for anything other than divisional crowns I have no idea.

The best thing that can happen for the Packers now is an unexpected series of embarrassing losses that take the life out of the team and forces Rodgers to retire or demand a trade after this year.

Idiocy.

As a percentage of cap for the next 3 years he is under the magic number you got of 13% is it? We are only screwed when it all ends

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

So they'll welcome Rodgers back next year, '24 will be a toss up based on how he's playing and feeling and 2025 they'll be telling him to GTFO unless he's still an MVP level player, they'll probably push some more money down the road then. 

I'd say you're probably right about 2025 - but with the new cap - who knows where the "normal" top tier QB level will be.

Listen - I get the whole 48% thing - but I'm opposed to this massive / increasing salary level - for the exact same 3-4000 yards / 25-35 TD's. It's gotta end somewhere.......no?

I mean....statistically....QB play has leveled off somewhat. The rules changes and the metrics got a jolt - but they've settled again. 

At what juncture is that yearly salary gonna look stupid - again - when the player's performing / producing at 2005 levels?