Cowboys Trade WR Amari Cooper to the Browns

AFlaccoSeagulls

2 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

So let me get this straight. The Cowboys traded a 1st round pick for Cooper then gave him a big contract. They then draft another receiver Lamb in the 1st round despite already having both Cooper and Gallup, now they trade Cooper for next to nothing (although they were going to cut him) bc they didnt want to keep his sizable contract, and then they are going to give a less than durable and no as established receiver in Gallup a big contract. 

My guess is that when they do give Gallup that contract, they will be looking to move on from him in a few years as well. I just dont get the Cowboys operations in the last idk how many seasons. Ill still say I wouldve kept Cooper over Gallup but Shannon Sharpe did make a good point one day on "Undisputed" when he said Jerry Jones will keep his drafted players longer than the players he trade for and/or sign in FA from other teams. 

Because Jerry Jones is infatuated with skill position players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

I agree that the Cowboys had to make this move with Cooper bc they were strapped with Zeke contract and lets not forget that they overpaid for Dak too. Colin Cowherd says alot but in this regard he makes alot of sense. The Cowboys pay their B to B+ players like they are A and A+ players. Im happy that Dak got his money but unless he does something as a QB to justify what he got paid bc its not going to get any better. The Cowboys are going to continue to purge their players that they cant afford to keep. D-Law, Gregory, Collins, etc... The good thing is the Cowboys have shown to draft well so if they continue to do that it wont hurt them like lets say it did the Seahawks after they gave Wilson that big contract, started letting their players go and they never drafted well and the roster became weak and Wilson could never get that team back to the Superbowl and then he ultimately wanted out and now is in Denver. 

I'm higher on Dak than most people. Right before he got injured, he was damn hear blazing through NFL games at an MVP level. He just led the NFL's #1 offense coming off of major leg surgery, I think Dak will be just fine.

However, that Zeke contract....lmao......there's just no justifying that in any reality.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

However, that Zeke contract....lmao......there's just no justifying that in any reality.

Must be new here. Zeke is a future HOFer and if you extrapolate his numbers with Frank Gore’s play time, it’s clear he deserves that contract.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I think he’s basically short Jay Cutler. 10 year average tier NFL starter with some positive outlier seasons and games where he kills you with 4+ INT. I think he’s a step above that journeyman backup tier.

I think he is more like Eli Manning personally. Inconsistent from one year to eh next but good enough to take a team to the Super bowl.

I also find it somewhat poetic that the Browns dumped OBJ and are letting Landry go who are both very loud, opinionated andtalkative WRs and traded for a guy like Cooper who is quiet as a mouse and doesnt even have social media lol

Also, just saw a stat--the Browns WR group ranks 29th in average separation (2.8 yds). Meaning there are not a ton of easy throws to be making with OBJ/Landry/Higgins/Peoples-Jones. Bringing in Cooper who is known for his route running prowess and ability to get open should be a great help. 

Pairing him with Garrett Wilson (hopefully) who is also known for his separation and route running should make a load of difference if they can pull it off.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I find it silly how nobody wants to give him the benefit of the doubt for playing with like 6 injuries last year and just lable him as terrible.

Especially when he was great in 2020, great in 2021 preseason and great in 2021 week 1 throwing for 320 yards against KC--then his play magically fell off a cliff once he got injured and OBJ drama started.

Not the biggest Mayfield stan in the world, but he gets a lot of unjust hate 

I think he's not really getting the benefit of the doubt because, seriously hurt or not, he played a lot like he did in a healthy 2019, last season...and again crashed high season expectations.

Saying he was great in 2020 is forcing it. He was being schemed around at the beginning of the season and had awful games vs the two winning opponents he faced in that span. It's fair to say the team had a great 2020. Baker overall was adequate to good.

After a season that had an unheard of incident where a star players family called out the QB's play to the degree that the team had to release the WR...to say the QB's getting unjust hate after something like that is just showing bias. That deserves a ton of criticism.

A big reason the team had to trade for Cooper and that contract is that with the Baker OBJ/Landry situation getting so ugly.. no way were they going to sign a comparable talent.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I also find it somewhat poetic that the Browns dumped OBJ and are letting Landry go who are both very loud, opinionated andtalkative WRs and traded for a guy like Cooper who is quiet as a mouse and doesnt even have social media lol

Jarvis isn’t gone yet 

23 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

I think he's not really getting the benefit of the doubt because, seriously hurt or not, he played a lot like he did in a healthy 2019, last season...and again crashed high season expectations.

Saying he was great in 2020 is forcing it. He was being schemed around at the beginning of the season and had awful games vs the two winning opponents he faced in that span. It's fair to say the team had a great 2020. Baker overall was adequate to good.

After a season that had an unheard of incident where a star players family called out the QB's play to the degree that the team had to release the WR...to say the QB's getting unjust hate after something like that is just showing bias. That deserves a ton of criticism.

A big reason the team had to trade for Cooper and that contract is that with the Baker OBJ/Landry situation getting so ugly.. no way were they going to sign a comparable talent.

You dont think his performance last season being terrible had anything to do with his injuries and OBJ drama?

41 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

You dont think his performance last season being terrible had anything to do with his injuries and OBJ drama?

He was a major part of that drama.

Impossible to say to what extent his injuries affected his play. But.. he's played the same way when healthy....and he also had moments of good play even when injured.

I'll say as someone who's watched every one of his game throws, from college to the pros, he maintained his velocity and touch through the injury. But his pocket poise was limited and his mobility affected to a lesser degree.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

He was a major part of that drama.

Impossible to say to what extent his injuries affected his play. But.. he's played the same way when healthy....and he also had moments of good play even when injured.

I'll say as someone who's watched every one of his game throws, from college to the pros, he maintained his velocity and touch through the injury. But his pocket poise was limited and his mobility affected to a lesser degree.

By the middle of the season he was scared to death to get hit in the pocket again with his shoulder/knee so he dropped his eyes and took off running at the first sign of pressure and would never step up in the pocket. Which was something he did great early in his career.

clearly effected him mentally more than anything.