Let's talk problems CALMLY

AlexGreen#20

1 hour ago, pollino14 said:

Our pass rush has most certainly let us down this year. I could be wrong, but I haven't noticed many schemed blitzes this year. Nothing up the middle with out ILBs, not much with our corners. That used to be one of my favorite things about Capers, his exotic manufactured blitzes. 

And last night when we blitzed we didn't get to Stafford and we got burned.

7 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

There was though. There is only so much you can do when blitzing a QB. He brought corners, LBs, safeties, stunts, inside, and outside pressure with no penetration from any of them. Although I am not a Capers fan it was obvious yesterday he was trying to scheme a pass rush to the best of his ability. No one was beating his man. We couldn't beat the tight ends or the RBs on any of our blitzes. Abdullah was also great at picking up blitzes  and I didn't see him out of position once when pass blocking. This isn't just a scheme issue but scheme mixed with a lack of a true playmaking pass rusher. 

The game has passed him by.  Detroit knew where our blitz was coming from EVERY TIME.  The had the perfect call for many of them.  Dom has been figured out.  The players are coached to 'stay in their lane'. No one is free to freelance.  Too much thinking.  You have to turn people loose once in a while.  Hell Spart, you and I could have called all those blitzes, doesn't mean they're going to work when the other team knows they're coming.  Dom is predictable and easily countered.

1 minute ago, Pugger said:

Jim Bob Cooter and Stafford had an answer for everything Dom thru at them ... come to think of it any OC worth his salt and a good QB do the same every time Dom tries to match wits.  Capers is so played out in GB .. if they don't replace him I don't know what to say.

This offseason instead of drafting DBs we have to address the pass rush.  If we keep playing like this we have a chance at a higher pick than we've had since we drafted Raji so we have a shot at a difference maker there.

I don't have a problem with Clay - IF we use him as a situational pass rusher.  He's getting too long in the tooth to be an every down guy.

But nothing will change if we don't move on from Capers in January.

Detroit went all out to stop the run and dared Hundley to pass.  Then we continually got into 3rd and long and they brought the house.  Brett was running for his life a lot last night.  

Our WRs have issues getting separation.  That has been an problem for a while but #12 can overcome that.  A young QB like Brett cannot.

Just now, Dubz41 said:

The game has passed him by.  Detroit knew where our blitz was coming from EVERY TIME.  The had the perfect call for many of them.  Dom has been figured out.  The players are coached to 'stay in their lane'. No one is free to freelance.  Too much thinking.  You have to turn people loose once in a while.  Hell Spart, you and I could have called all those blitzes, doesn't mean they're going to work when the other team knows they're coming.  Dom is predictable and easily countered.

Once again though blitzing leaves you open to this kind of stuff. That isn't a scheme issue. If you blitz a stunt up the middle whats the difference between Von Miller doing it and Clay Mathews? Von Miller blows up the RB getting in the face on the QB instantly while Clay Mathews gets stonewalled. At some point you have to beat your man. You are not going to confuse any NFL quality veteran QB with exotic blitzes. They are too talented and the lines/RBs are too good and Abdullah was excellent last night. 

I dislike Capers and I don't think he gets the best out of his players but I disagree that some other DCs exotic blitzing is going to get home. You need to beat your man at the NFL level  and the Packers simply haven't done that since the Seahawks game. 

Offensive Problems: Calmly

by HorizontoZenith

1. We are currently without a game breaker at skill receiving positions.  We need a long-term solution at WR or TE.  Either will do.  Davante Adams is a very valuable commodity, but he is not a game breaker.  Every team plays our offense the same way with two high.  Cobb and Nelson are both slot guys at this point in a bad offense to be slot guys.  Solutions: Jeffery, Watkins or Eiffert are the only free agent solutions.  Jimmy Graham is not a long term solution, and we need to stop with the stop gaps at tight end.  If we don't find a long term solution with one of those three players, we need to use our second and third round picks on the best available receiver/tight end, but not physically limited ones like Richard Rodgers. 

2. Inconsistency from the running game.  Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think some of the problem with our running game... a LOT of the problem is predictability and play calling.  Anybody else watching the games able to call run with 70% accuracy?  When was the last time a toss worked for us?  Our outside running game never works.  Ever.  Better consistency with our running game would bring those safeties up and let our slow receivers try to beat man coverage more easily or at all. 

3. Too much money at WR without a legitimate #1 receiver.  Put our entire receiving corps together and you have a complete receiver.  Nelson has little to no deep threat.  Adams has no speed.  Quickness absolutely, but no speed.  Cobb has no height.  Davis has no weight.  Janis has no brain.  This is why I'd be okay with Adams leaving.  It would force action rather than complacency.  If all of our receivers have limitations, it's easy to limit them all. 

That ends the list of problems I see with our offense.  If we get a new staff, we're going to have to look at finding a long term solution at guard (and center if Linsley leaves).  The one thing I have faith in with this staff is their ability to get good production out of low investment on the interior offensive line. 

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Jim Bob Cooter and Stafford had an answer for everything Dom thru at them ... come to think of it any OC worth his salt and a good QB do the same every time Dom tries to match wits.  Capers is so played out in GB .. if they don't replace him I don't know what to say.

They would do the same any time any team has to blitz like we did. Exotic blitzes work when you have lulled the offense asleep with 4 man rushes. Not as your main way of getting hits on the QB. What the lions did was very simple. For any passes they kept there RB in to block or dropped them off in the screen game. Either way, you are going to beat the blitz unless someone blitzing beats there man. Perry, Mathews, Daniels, Lowry, Corners, Safeties all were stonewalled by Abdullah's blitz pick up. This wasn't a scheme issue it was a talent issue. 

I don't like Capers and I believe this defense has more talent than what Dom Capers defense has shown last night was a perfect example of us just getting beat. Daniels, Perry, Mathews can't beat there guy on a consistent basis if at all. 

After rewatching the game today Daniels looks like he is getting a lot of attention from the opposing O line. That generally leaves Perry and Matthews on an island. They are just not doing a good job of beating there man. Mathews may be a playmaker in the middle and against the run but he isn't just average in the pass rush, hes bad. Consistently pushed to the outside on his speed rush and he looks like Fackrell on a bull rush. 

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

Actually some times we got lucky, guessing where the run was going and causing yardage losses...Trouble was, we couldn't sustain the intensity and the Lions would crawl out of the hole rather effortlessly.....

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Jim Bob Cooter and Stafford had an answer for everything Dom thru at them ...

This is hlarious.

In Detroit last week they were ready to fire old Jim Bob for his poor performance as the Lions offensive coordinator. He was on the proverbial HOT SEAT.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2017/11/04/detroit-lions-jim-bob-cooter/831386001/

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2017/11/03/jim-bob-cooter-detroit-lions/829390001/

One trip to Green Bay and Dom and the Pack D will cure what ails any offensive coordinator.

The issue with the defense is simple, it’s too complex for its own good. 

We are always using a fancy new package, or going to move pieces around. Thats all fine and good if you have 10 year veterans at every position. But with our organizational philosophy and injuries... it makes this defense a bad fit. Green Bay always seems to have communication issues, mostly in the secondary, because we don’t hang our hats on any one thing.

We aren’t at the core of our defense a man, zone or whatever. Down to down it’s always changing and that hurts this young secondary.

They need to be like Seattle or any great defense and pick a scheme and run that mostly all the time. Just like the Tampa 2... sure does it have its weaknesses, of course but if they commit to it they would practice how to stop those Tampa 2 beaters.

The defense’s issue is that in being so varied they aren’t great at any one thing. And they are swimming to just get into position down in and down out. It’s why teams get wide open. Because we are too worried about just what we are doing instead of what an offense would do to attack a set scheme. I also assume with so many schemes in use they have to practice multiple techniques that are specific to those schemes.

Archived