Let's talk problems CALMLY

AlexGreen#20

12 minutes ago, Green19 said:

I think this defense needs 3 things:

• a good pass rusher rotation (they need to double dip early in them draft to solve this)

• another potential starting CB (again addressing this early in the draft)

• a simple consistent scheme.

They need to go something like:

1st round: OLB

2nd round: CB

3rd round: OLB

And hope Aaron can make something out of less on the offense.

Do Packer fans really think, with an all-world QB turning 35 next season, that to fill the gaping holes at OLB and deficiency at CB the team should rely SOLELY on the draft as the way to go in 2018?

Why not try to think out of the box, or at least out of the box for the Packers.

To take but one example, cut Matthews. If he wants to come back for $3M or so fine. If not, move on. He is not worth close to his salary as an OLB.

That frees up $11+ million to spend on a better current NFL defensive player immediately rather than relying upon a draft pick to develop over the course of several years (or not).

It would be very un-Packer like under TT, but this is exactly the type of bold move that is required to improve what is proving to be a pretty meh roster.

Just now, TheOnlyThing said:

Do Packer fans really think, with an all-world QB turning 35 next season, that to fill the gaping holes at OLB and deficiency at CB the team should rely SOLELY on the draft as the way to go in 2018?

Do you really think good pass rushers hit free agency?  The "best" one in the last couple years I can remember was Vernon.  He's got two sacks this year.  Do you want another Matthews contract for another Matthews pass rusher?  Because I don't. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/outside-linebacker/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/defensive-end/

Who on that list is changing our pass rush? 

5 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Why not try to think out of the box, or at least out of the box for the Packers.

To take but one example, cut Matthews. If he wants to come back for $3M or so fine. If not, move on. He is not worth close to his salary as an OLB.

That frees up $11+ million to spend on a better current NFL defensive player immediately rather than relying upon a draft pick to develop over the course of several years (or not).

It would be very un-Packer like under TT, but this is exactly the type of bold move that is required to improve what is proving to be a pretty meh roster.

The only issue I have with this is it assumes a couple different things:

1. A quality player in FA that fits out scheme/need. 

2. That same quality player is going to play for a fair salary and no team is going to extremely overpay. 

3. That same player is also willing to play in the cold/boring environment of Green Bay. 

I agree that TT could make better use of FA but there may not be any answers come FA. This isn't Madden. 

12 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Do I think the draft is the only way to solely address those issues? No. But unless Ted retires or Murphy does something he would never do and he fires Ted... the draft will be and continue to be the main source of talent for Green Bay.

I’m not going to waste time or energy on another method because it will take a few years like this one to get real movement in the front office... and with Rodgers at QB that’s unlikely.

Will those young players do anything next year? Probably not. The main fix for next year would be a new DC with a simple scheme that gives our players an identity they can hang their hats on game in and game out.

And even that won’t start taking shape until mid season.

18 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Do you really think good pass rushers hit free agency?  The "best" one in the last couple years I can remember was Vernon.  He's got two sacks this year.  Do you want another Matthews contract for another Matthews pass rusher?  Because I don't. 

Right on the money HZ. Free agency used to fill starter rolls hurts your cap more. Use it to fill in complimentary rolls and draft our starters. It's the best math, unless your BB. On top of that fire your DC and get someone from the stands to call the D.

9 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Do I think the draft is the only way to solely address those issues? No. But unless Ted retires or Murphy does something he would never do and he fires Ted... the draft will be and continue to be the main source of talent for Green Bay.

I’m not going to waste time or energy on another method because it will take a few years like this one to get real movement in the front office... and with Rodgers at QB that’s unlikely.

Will those young players do anything next year? Probably not. The main fix for next year would be a new DC with a simple scheme that gives our players an identity they can hang their hats on game in and game out.

And even that won’t start taking shape until mid season.

Fair enough.

I don't think you're wrong, but I fear you are correct.

Just gets frustrating communicating with Packer fans about improving the roster as if unrestricted free agency and trades were prohibited.

20 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Green posted we need to add 2 OLBs in 2018.

I agree.

Do you disagree?

Green posited that we needed to use our 1st & 3rd picks to realistically get the impact that would be needed.

I don't disagree that, absent adding veteran talent, it would require that type of draft capital to see material improvement in the pass rush, do you?

Don't you think the Packers have a few roster holes outside of OLB that need to be looked at during rounds 2 & 3, assuming OLB goes in round 1? I do.

Rather than just relying upon the draft, I'd look to add at least 1 veteran to the mix. 

Say a guy like Julius Peppers who came cheap and is on pace for 15 sacks.

Then again, it might not matter who is drafted or selected if they are forced to play for Dom.

Yeah .. there were a number of plays to be had last night and Hundley just didn't get it done.  That miss of Nelson running free cost a TD.  The slight overthrow to Adams cost us a big play .. would have liked to see a better effort from Adams on that one as well.  It's the little things that cost you games, and right now Hundley is missing a lot of stuff.

Archived