Vikings Extend Cousins Through 2023

Heimdallr

Is this a good move?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good move?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How many more seasons will Cousins be in MN?

• 3+

22 hours ago, Old Guy said:

If Cousins isn't in the plans past this year what do you think you could get for him prior to the trade deadline? The Jets are desperate. They also don't have the cap space to get him at this point. 

If we could get a FRP for Kirk Cousins Id do it in a heartbeat, I dont think id be as eager if it was a 2nd and some change but would still lean towards doing it. Kirk Cousins is very clearly not apart of our future and getting some picks that would eventually help out our future whether it be more ammo for a trade up to get a QBotF or using the picks elsewhere im all for.

Im fine if the Vikings bottom out for 1 year if it means we get a chance to grab a blue chip QB prospect. If theres ever a year to do it its obviously this year with the Vikings being winless, the direction the team is going in regards to the roster, Kirks contract, the QB draft thats coming in 24.

But a silver lining is that we have yet to play a divisional game so there is that and still a chance for us to make some nose within the division.

• Like 1

Just now, swede700 said:

There's zero chance that the Vikings are trading Kirk Cousins to the Jets or anyone else.  It's all just fodder to talk about, but there's absolutely no reason for the Vikings to do it nor would Kirk want to. 

It probably won't happen, but there absolutely is reason for the Vikings to do it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

It probably won't happen, but there absolutely is reason for the Vikings to do it.

No, there isn't.  They really gain nothing by trading Cousins.  The team gets worse, the locker room gets worse...the only thing they gain is potential cap room, but there's nothing to use that cap space on this year...and the place they actually need help at, IOL, isn't extremely strong in free agency in '24.  There literally is no real reason for the Vikings to trade him away.  I suppose if they were offered a first round pick, I'd consider it, but that's not going to happen with a 35 yr old non-HOF level QB.    

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, swede700 said:

No, there isn't.  They really gain nothing by trading Cousins.  The team gets worse, the locker room gets worse...the only thing they gain is potential cap room, but there's nothing to use that cap space on this year...and the place they actually need help at, IOL, isn't extremely strong in free agency in '24.  There literally is no real reason for the Vikings to trade him away.  I suppose if they were offered a first round pick, I'd consider it, but that's not going to happen with a 35 yr old non-HOF level QB.    

If Cousins isn't going to be our QB next year, and this year's team isn't going anywhere, then being bad isn't really negative because we'll need to draft a QB. And any draft capital we get in return is better than the nothing we get we get when he walks. Or at least as long it's better than potential compensation picks.

I would say it's a no brainer to trade if we can.

Edited by Worm Guts

58 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

If Cousins isn't going to be our QB next year, and this year's team isn't going anywhere, then being bad isn't really negative because we'll need to draft a QB. And any draft capital we get in return is better than the nothing we get we get when he walks. Or at least as long it's better than potential compensation picks.

I would say it's a no brainer to trade if we can.

From a compensation standpoint, a 3rd in 2024 is better than a 3rd in 2025 according to how draft trades work.

I'm not suggesting you can only get a 3rd for Cousins, but think if the season continues to go south, exploring it at the trade deadline makes a ton of sense if the organization is committed to moving on after this year. 

Honestly, if Dallas were serious about winning it this year, and had the cap space, they should call. Dak ain't it. Sadly, for them, just kidding I hate the Cowboys, they can't make him a part of the trade with his contract. 

39 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Beyond the Cousins angle, this is just fascinating. Ten years worth of drafts (2013-2022) and only one QB has won a Super Bowl. 

Interesting. 

That's kind of mind boggling. Wow.

There is zero chance they deal Kirk. I would for a first, but that isn't coming, no chance. Zero.

Kirk is not the issue here. No defensive talent was the issue the last two years, and likely the biggest issue this year (turnovers being the reason they are 0-3). He's a great QB, but the NFL is way too conservative to deal for a QB mid-season. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

My thoughts exactly. Thanks for articulating it so well.

i'll say it again - it's a moot point.

Cousins would have to agree to a trade and why would he? he LIKES living in MN, his family is stable there. he'd have to learn a new team's playbook and vocabulary on the fly, and look how he said it took him almost all of last season to learn KOC's.

financially, he's looking for one more 2-3 year contract next year to close out his career. strategically, he would want a monster season this year (and he's on his way already) to substantiate a team giving him that last big payday. why risk that just to move to another team he doesn't want to do anyway? because fans think it's a good idea and we'll get a better draft pick?

pro tip - well paid NFL players don't take fans' views into account when making mega million dollar decisions.

• Like 5