Vikings Extend Cousins Through 2023

Heimdallr

Is this a good move?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good move?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How many more seasons will Cousins be in MN?

• 3+

11 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

While I’m of the opinion that it’s time for the Vikings to turn the page on the Cousins chapter, the next 4 games should answer all questions as to whether or not the Vikings should entertain the idea of keeping Cousins. 

I think the questions were already answered during last years playoff run. Beating some mediocre teams over the next four games doesn’t change anything for me. 

17 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I think the questions were already answered during last years playoff run.

Playing a nearly perfect game while the defense peed down it's leg answered questions about Cousins? Cousins was the reason they made the playoffs last year.

Totally reasonable to want to move on from a team building, money, or youth perspective. Nothing about his performance from last year should warrant that stance though. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I think the questions were already answered during last years playoff run. Beating some mediocre teams over the next four games doesn’t change anything for me. 

3 of the next 4 games are on the road...all 3 against what I guess you'd call the mediocre teams.  The fact that they're on the road is the great equalizer...I think it will show what they are capable of, as it opens the door for Osborn, Addison and Hockenson to rise or fall on their own.

Either way, I do agree to an extent that we already have our opinions on what should be done, but these next 4 games will certainly clarify for the front office on the direction they will definitely go. While they'll be looking for a QB regardless in '24, whether they want to entertain keeping Kirk around for at least a year while that QB is developed (so they can still compete) will largely be determined over the next 4 games...you'd have to think. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

It's going to be fun watching the people clamoring for Kirk's departure complain about incompetent QB play for another decade.

Those things aren't actually correlated.  If it happens, it happens, but that doesn't mean the risk isn't worth it.  I don't think I'd regret moving on from Cousins if it doesn't work out. 

37 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Well, since you seem to always have a comment for everything. What would your plan be? 

Extend him for two years. Draft a QB early this year with the full understanding that he gets at least one full year behind Cousins. Preferably two years. Build the interior offensive line and the defensive line. 

This team isn't going anywhere without better play in the trenches; regardless of who the QB is. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Extend him for two years. Draft a QB early this year with the full understanding that he gets at least one full year behind Cousins. Preferably two years. Build the interior offensive line and the defensive line. 

This team isn't going anywhere without better play in the trenches; regardless of who the QB is. 

He's not signing for 2 years, man. Anything longer than that puts them in cap hell. He's done so much as a Viking and improved a lot, but this is it.

Edit - also, the offensive line is fine. This is the best line play he's had in front of him since he's been here.

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Whats the point in extending him if you said it yourself that this team isnt going anywhere? Let the young QB play and let him learn on the job. And as JD said its creates unnecessary cap hell and could prevent us from signing a really good FA.

Can we even afford it with the JJ and CD extensions looming? I'll throw in Danielle Hunter as well.

I do agree that the trenches need to start being built up. Reason why the Eagles can be in every game is because of how good their trenches are.

Edited by Sad People

55 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Extend him for two years.

Why would Cousins do that?

55 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Draft a QB early this year with the full understanding that he gets at least one full year behind Cousins.

If you’re drafting a QB early this year, what are you doing to improve the current team? 

56 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Build the interior offensive line and the defensive line. 

How are you going to do this when you’re using a massive amount of cap space on re-signing Cousins, Jefferson, and Darrisaw, and you’re using early picks on a QB?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

He's not signing for 2 years, man. Anything longer than that puts them in cap hell. He's done so much as a Viking and improved a lot, but this is it.

Edit - also, the offensive line is fine. This is the best line play he's had in front of him since he's been here.

Could upgrade an OG spot but generally the line is at an acceptable level. Can’t imagine Bradbury returns either, can’t stay healthy. 

How many starting QBs on the last year of their contract have been traded at the deadline? I know Jimmy G was a backup traded to be a starter but I think he signed a new deal pretty quick after that.  I dont see Cousins agreeing to a trade with an agreement to sign an extension. I think he'd rather wait until the offseason so he can do his research and be able to negotiate with more teams.  And I don't see a team trading for a QB at this point just to make a run this year

• Like 4