Vikings Extend Cousins Through 2023

Heimdallr

Is this a good move?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good move?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How many more seasons will Cousins be in MN?

• 3+

31 minutes ago, Socrates said:

O'Connell alluded to the fact he wants Kirk back next year in today's press conference. That's the first time I can remember he or anyone from the Vikings hinting at that.

At this point in time, it's a nice jestsure.  Ultimately, the team should let him test FA before entering, or re-entering, contract discussions.   His rehab dedication may be on par with Adrian's, or maybe not.   Cousins' camp will twist and turn every stat to his advantage, which is normal.   They want money for their client, so they get paid.   

As much as I liked the way Kirk's been playing, how many 35-year old players have returned to stardom in any sport, much less the NFL?   Didn't Testaverde suffer an Achille's tear, and what was his return like?

2 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

At this point in time, it's a nice jestsure.  Ultimately, the team should let him test FA before entering, or re-entering, contract discussions.   His rehab dedication may be on par with Adrian's, or maybe not.   Cousins' camp will twist and turn every stat to his advantage, which is normal.   They want money for their client, so they get paid.   

As much as I liked the way Kirk's been playing, how many 35-year old players have returned to stardom in any sport, much less the NFL?   Didn't Testaverde suffer an Achille's tear, and what was his return like?

Testaverde's injury was, what? 20 years ago?  Surgery for repair has advanced as has rehab.  2 months after his injury, Rodgers is without crutches or a boot.  I would hope that Kirk's recovery would be similar to what Rodgers' is like so far, as Kirk is 3 years younger. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

Kirk gets to rehab with the Vikings until March. They're going to have a really good idea of where he is. Kirk is also a very pragmatic guy who has made a quarter-billion. There were whispers that his camp floated a below-market extension offer earlier this year. If the training staff feels good about him in February/March, and if he's willing to come back for a reasonable rate (which likely would not include a guaranteed contract), I think it makes sense for everyone involved. That still wouldn't prevent the Vikings from drafting his successor. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Kirk gets to rehab with the Vikings until March. They're going to have a really good idea of where he is. Kirk is also a very pragmatic guy who has made a quarter-billion. There were whispers that his camp floated a below-market extension offer earlier this year. If the training staff feels good about him in February/March, and if he's willing to come back for a reasonable rate (which likely would not include a guaranteed contract), I think it makes sense for everyone involved. That still wouldn't prevent the Vikings from drafting his successor. 

Very good points. 

I'm probably more skeptical on the reduced value topic.  Cousins was on an MVP pace and would've commanded top-10 money.   That puts him at $40m plus.   So, WHEN they pay him $45M per year for 2 more years guaranteed or not, the team loses cap space for other core guys.  It's a real dilemma.

4 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

Very good points. 

I'm probably more skeptical on the reduced value topic.  Cousins was on an MVP pace and would've commanded top-10 money.   That puts him at $40m plus.   So, WHEN they pay him $45M per year for 2 more years guaranteed or not, the team loses cap space for other core guys.  It's a real dilemma.

Kwesi has set the team up really well for cap space over the next couple of seasons. If they want to sign him, they can. If the Vikings do nothing, they are projected to have nearly $39MM in cap space next year. In 2025, they're currently projected to have $150MM. They can figure a way to make a contract work, if they want to.

If Kirk wants or thinks he can get $45MM/year, guaranteed or not, coming off of an Achilles injury...godspeed. But that presumes that is what he is looking for. I don't happen to think it is or will be. But that's just my personal feeling on it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Kwesi has set the team up really well for cap space over the next couple of seasons. If they want to sign him, they can. If the Vikings do nothing, they are projected to have nearly $39MM in cap space next year. In 2025, they're currently projected to have $150MM. They can figure a way to make a contract work, if they want to.

If Kirk wants or thinks he can get $45MM/year, guaranteed or not, coming off of an Achilles injury...godspeed. But that presumes that is what he is looking for. I don't happen to think it is or will be. But that's just my personal feeling on it.

I'd rather the team use the cap signing JJ, Hunter and Wonnum.  Then, extending Darrisaw . . . And eventually O'Neill again.   

That's a core we can live with and still add pieces.  

1 minute ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I'd rather the team use the cap signing JJ, Hunter and Wonnum.  Then, extending Darrisaw . . . And eventually O'Neill again.   

Well this isn't Josh Oliver's contract. Signing Kirk does not preclude them from making any of the moves you've outlined. It isn't an either/or scenario. Does it make it more challenging? Perhaps. But without even knowing what he'll be asking for, it's quite premature to write him off.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

As WC indicated - there's nothing that would prevent them from doing all of that. The new TV deal is going to explode the cap and give them the ability to go a lot of different directions. That's why all of the mainstays on the decline are gone and they've eaten so much dead cap this year.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I'm absolutely fine with that. I also don't think Kirk is going to be out there asking for $40MM a season. 

I agree. The demand for his services will diminish due to his age, recent injury and unknown rehab timeline. He comes back to MN on a discounted price. We draft a falling QB prospect (Evers) and have the opportunity to groom him as the QBOTF. I like that!

10 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

You know what? Screw these talking heads like Ryan Clark!

They've been trashing and dogging Cousins for years, creating the ridiculous narrative that he’s not liked, not a leader, isn’t that good, etc. But now that he’s hurt, they want to finally acknowledge the truth? Screw off!

• Like 5