2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

37 minutes ago, cjfollett said:

Carolina, Seattle, Detroit, plus one could argue for Houston and maybe the NY Giants.

The Steelers, Saints, and Atlanta are all in the same basic boat having signed a former high 1st round pick at QB. Each team can certainly draft a QB this year, but there is no urgency to do it in round 1. 

I think you might see Detroit trade up with the Steelers on Thursday.  Detroit getting 1.20.  Steelers getting 1.32 and 3.66.  I will have to move this to calling my shot 🙂

19 minutes ago, DR43 said:

I'm nervous.  What if we pick Sam Howell?

most anxious I've been before a steelers draft

I did not think we could any of the big 3 QB's in the 04 draft..so I had no nervous energy until ben starting falling on draft day

8 hours ago, DR43 said:

I'm nervous.  What if we pick Sam Howell?

I will be pissed and I think it’s highly unlikely. I would rather trade a 6 and take on Baker Mayfield, which makes me equally as sick to think about.

However, I will say I have ever so slightly warmed up to Howell as a prospect. Not at 20, but if we hit our 1st round pick out of the park (Davis, Stingley, Hamilton etc) and took him at 52 I could *live* with it. He’s a lot more mobile than I originally gave him credit for and he’s a gamer for sure. Still think it would be a wasted pick though. I have more faith in Trubisky.

13 hours ago, jebrick said:

I like Booth.  I have him at #2 CB

Yea, he’s a beast. His film is insane. I’m guessing you have Sauce at #1?

A lot of people have Trent McDuffie flying up boards. I like him but I think teams would regret passing up Booth Jr for him.

3 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

I will be pissed and I think it’s highly unlikely. I would rather trade a 6 and take on Baker Mayfield, which makes me equally as sick to think about.

However, I will say I have ever so slightly warmed up to Howell as a prospect. Not at 20, but if we hit our 1st round pick out of the park (Davis, Stingley, Hamilton etc) and took him at 52 I could *live* with it. He’s a lot more mobile than I originally gave him credit for and he’s a gamer for sure. Still think it would be a wasted pick though. I have more faith in Trubisky.

Howell was the only FBS QB to run for more than 500 and pass for more than 3,000. I think the difference for a guy like him and say Willis; is Willis used his mobility more like Ben, stay behind the line and keep the big play alive taking off when you need to; Howell seemed to use his mobility more like Murray/Trubisky/Mahomes (dare I say this), and get the hell out of there if your first read or two isn’t open. 

45 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Howell was the only FBS QB to run for more than 500 and pass for more than 3,000. I think the difference for a guy like him and say Willis; is Willis used his mobility more like Ben, stay behind the line and keep the big play alive taking off when you need to; Howell seemed to use his mobility more like Murray/Trubisky/Mahomes (dare I say this), and get the hell out of there if your first read or two isn’t open. 

Howell's offense at UNC was very binary.  It did him no favors.

• Like 1

If anyone needs a podcast to crush before the draft, I recommend The Athletic Football Show's episode with Rick Speilman on April 22nd. 

Really interesting insight on how his teams set up the scouting, what they looked for, how they set up the board, and ultimately worked in the room to make decisions. 

Biggest thing I took away was about the mental aspect as a huge part of evaluation. Not just the intelligence (which they had a test for), but also developing a mental quickness test -- which they found hugely important at some positions (close to the football you are, the quicker you need to be).  

Other things that were interesting to me were how analytics were a huge part of the late draft process/priority free agents and how they looked at stacking prospect grades horizontally and not vertically (not staking player grades on top of each other but grouping similar grades and selecting more important position or bigger roster hole).