Washington signs Andrew Norwell 2 Year $10M ($4.7 GTD)

Slappy Mc

Deal so reportedly be done today. 

Btw if anyone puts the Carolina Panthers on their resume, they are pretty much a shoo-in for a job here. In case you guys missed that. 

*Update*

Its official.

Edited by Slappy Mc
  • Like 4

I think it was a good move, cutting flowers freed up 10 million in space and I’m sure Norwell will be cheaper. He’s probably better than flowers also…..

don’t get me wrong I liked flowers but it’s not like he was this young pro bowl guard, at 10 million he was over paid and really he’s only been good in Washington. That’s good not great

Edited by LoganF89
  • Like 1

Honestly, dude seems like he is still a pretty good LG. If the contract numbers come in ok, this is probably a decent pick up. 

I have to laugh when Rap said "fills a big void on the oline". It was a self inflicted void. They didnt have to cut Flowers. Before two days ago, we all were pretty solid about the LG position. Thought maybe they would extend Flowers instead of release him, that didnt happen.

Unfortunately, Norwell will count against our draft compensation forumla as well. 

10 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Honestly, dude seems like he is still a pretty good LG. If the contract numbers come in ok, this is probably a decent pick up. 

I have to laugh when Rap said "fills a big void on the oline". It was a self inflicted void. They didnt have to cut Flowers. Before two days ago, we all were pretty solid about the LG position. Thought maybe they would extend Flowers instead of release him, that didnt happen.

Unfortunately, Norwell will count against our draft compensation forumla as well. 

No he won’t, he was cut

20 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I don’t think he will bc Jacksonville shortened his original contract

54 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

No he won’t, he was cut

Are you sure about that ? I think his contract was thru 2021 so he's a Free Agent. Can you provide verification ? Hope you're right !

BTW - just checked the roster. We have six ( 6 ) young "camp" guards listed. Maybe one will make a leap and be a good back up / 🤞

Edited by RSkinGM

Several sources seem to be indicating that Norwell doesn’t qualify as a compensatory FA, due to the re-negotiation of his contract last year (for some reason). 

I’m good with that. Didn’t really care about the Settle pick, but it allows us to potentially target a different qualifying FA and not lose the Scherff pick. 

Andrew Norwell

Pros:

• Stout, strong, and hard to move
  • Working combination blocks
  • From Cincinnati
  • Still very solid in pass protection
  • Can work within a phone booth as a guard
  • Great size

Cons:

• Bad athlete
  • Has regressed in Jacksonville
  • Doesn’t recover well when he falls for shimmies or fakes
  • 30 years old

Scheme Fit: 5/10 — He simply lacks the athleticism for a wide zone run game, but he is a great fit for the spread passing game portion of the offense. This could be raised up to a 6 or even 7 if the Bengals are going to weigh the pass game portion of the offense much more heavily.

Free Agent Tier: 2.5

Arguably the best position coach on the team, Matsko, must’ve signed off on this. That’s what would make me confident in the signing. Would’ve loved to keep Flowers, but $10M is steep and he probably wanted more AAV + an extension.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s back on a 1 ye deal at a lower rate if his market isn’t what he expected. 

13 hours ago, Daboyle said:

Is he really an improvement over Flowers?

Norwell at his best is definitely an improvement, but the question is is what we get and for how much.  Lots of good guards Flowers, Norwell and Collins.  Hopefully that supply pushed the market rate down.