Deshaun Watson is a Cleveland Brown

brownie man

14 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I don't think it's like holding out where the contract year doesn't progress. The player still earned that year's salary it was just lost as a fine.

Now if for example Baker held out and didn't earn a paycheck he would still be under contract for that lost year. If Baker were suspended for the season for whatever reason he would still be a free agent next year.

It’s already been confirmed by outlets like PFF that it’s the case.

28 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

It’s already been confirmed by outlets like PFF that it’s the case.

Well I don't think it will work that way. They are talking about delaying his contract a year but he has to be fined a gamecheck per game since he is under contract. We'll see.

Watson must participate in six contests in a given season to accrue an entire season on his contract. Unless the NFL finds a loophole to ensure that he would miss the whole year while earning a season towards his contract, the Browns would be able to get an entire season of Watson in 2023 for just $1 million in base salary.

The team would then use the copious amounts of rollover cap they have saved to bring in premier talent from free agency. They would have around $80 million in cap space while having some of football's best players under contract long-term.

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-maven-features/suspending-watson-full-year-causes-browns-positives

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Accrued seasons are important for free agency but suspensions come with fines and they are your game checks. He will be fined 55k per game or so because that is 1/17th of his yearly salary. The NFL isn't going to let him not pay when every other player ever suspended under contract has forfeited their salary.

They say there is a loophole in his contract but I see no way the NFL agrees to let him skate by without being fined. It has never happened before and I don't see a reason they will play nice just because it's the Browns and Watson.

In fact, they may be so disgusted the way the contract was written (minimum salary this year because they knew he'd be suspended) that they make sure they get into the 23 season with the suspension so he can feel it.

2 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Accrued seasons are important for free agency but suspensions come with fines and they are your game checks. He will be fined 55k per game or so because that is 1/17th of his yearly salary. The NFL isn't going to let him not pay when every other player ever suspended under contract has forfeited their salary.

They say there is a loophole in his contract but I see no way the NFL agrees to let him skate by without being fined. It has never happened before and I don't see a reason they will play nice just because it's the Browns and Watson.

In fact, they may be so disgusted the way the contract was written (minimum salary this year because they knew he'd be suspended) that they make sure they get into the 23 season with the suspension so he can feel it.

He won’t feel it. From what I have read he gets his signing bonus

1 minute ago, hornbybrown said:

He won’t feel it. From what I have read he gets his signing bonus

Yeah his contract was written so he'd make league minimum the year he was suspended so he could keep as much for himself as possible.

That however is a year of his contract, if they delay his contract he wouldn't be making a salary and wouldn't lose anything. I don't think the NFL lets that happen since I don't think they ever have before.

6 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah his contract was written so he'd make league minimum the year he was suspended so he could keep as much for himself as possible.

That however is a year of his contract, if they delay his contract he wouldn't be making a salary and wouldn't lose anything. I don't think the NFL lets that happen since I don't think they ever have before.

From what I have read singing bonus and year of contract are separate things. So if suspended for a year, he gets the bonus and 2023 if first year of his contract. Both pro football talk and pro football focus have said that

4 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

From what I have read singing bonus and year of contract are separate things. So if suspended for a year, he gets the bonus and 2023 if first year of his contract. Both pro football talk and pro football focus have said that

So in case that wasn’t clear bonus this year. First year of contract next 

Im still struggling to process how I feel about him being on my team.

On 6/25/2022 at 7:42 PM, Thomas5737 said:

I think indefinite is fine as long as nothing new or more cases doesn't pop up. If it's an indefinite suspension and he is able to apply for reinstatement in 1 year it would be the same as a 1 year suspension if he doesn't have any future issues.

The worst case scenario for Watson is if they were to suspend him for each case independently. 4 games per each dropped to 2 games per case would still be 56 games or 3+ seasons.

What happens if Joe Schmo gets 2 cases of sexual misconduct against him and Watson only received 8 or 10 games for 28? They going to suspend Joe for a quarter or a half of a game? There will be a precedent of how many games per charge/case already on the books. Makes it tough to take a stand later. Fortunately the NFL hasn't had a history of suspensions that make sense so maybe they won't care.

Read an article that there are 5 cases that are of big concern for the NFL. I'll see if I can find it, and I wonder if those are the cases that aren't settled. 

Edit:

Here's the article:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/deshaun-watson-nfl-suspension-contract-11656194645

"While the league’s arguments include the broad array of the accusations against Watson—in addition to the 24 lawsuits, other women have accused him of wrongdoing without taking civil action against him—officials have zeroed in on five of the alleged victims whose cases they believe include the strongest evidence. 

The league will focus on those five cases as it argues for the significant ban. Those cases include contemporaneous corroboration, such as text messages, of the women’s accounts, two of the people said. League officials believe those allegations in particular are objectively provable and establish a clear and disturbing pattern of behavior from Watson."

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Just my prediction:

He gets suspended for “indefinitely” which ends up only being a year.

If the NFL pushes for longer, then dirty laundry with Snyder, Kraft, and etc. magically pops up into mainstream.

Kraft's dirty laundry is already out there. What he did was illegal but victimless so no comparison to Watson.

Snyder has all sorts of problems which probably won't end until well after Watson's ordeal ends. 

The standard is 8 games per sexual assault (dropped to 6). I don't know how many of the Watson cases are assault but at least a few. Harassment and sexual misconduct would at least be a game each so 4 assaults = 24 games and 20 for 20 misconduct/harassments. Then the other 4 will have to be sorted out. 

I think we have to compare apples to apples as much as possible. Owners and players aren't apples to apples. Prostitution and sexual assault are certainly not apples to apples. Roethlisberger's sexual assault case (there were 3 total but only suspension for one) so maybe they lumped it all together and it ended up 2 games per assault. So Maybe Watson gets 8 for assault and 10 for the 20 other cases. That's pretty much a season and what I expect.

This will set a precedent though. It pretty much means serial rapists and sexual predators who escape criminal charges will be welcomed to the NFL after a short suspension. Not a great look. NFL players have done worse things as far as we know, but I don't know if another serial sexual predator has been welcomed back into the league. Ben had 3 cases so he was close but it still isn't a close comparison to 28 cases in a years time. That's legendary stuff. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brownie man said:

He’s not gonna get an indefinite suspension either 😂 

I want you to give me a personal apology once his suspension comes out 

inb4 Watson is indefinitely suspended.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Kraft's dirty laundry is already out there. What he did was illegal but victimless so no comparison to Watson.

Victimless? Hell of a way to spin prostitution and human trafficking- which was needed to get his hooker.

4 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Snyder has all sorts of problems which probably won't end until well after Watson's ordeal ends. 

The standard is 8 games per sexual assault (dropped to 6). I don't know how many of the Watson cases are assault but at least a few. Harassment and sexual misconduct would at least be a game each so 4 assaults = 24 games and 20 for 20 misconduct/harassments. Then the other 4 will have to be sorted out. 

I think we have to compare apples to apples as much as possible. Owners and players aren't apples to apples. Prostitution and sexual assault are certainly not apples to apples. Roethlisberger's sexual assault case (there were 3 total but only suspension for one) so maybe they lumped it all together and it ended up 2 games per assault. So Maybe Watson gets 8 for assault and 10 for the 20 other cases. That's pretty much a season and what I expect.

This will set a precedent though. It pretty much means serial rapists and sexual predators who escape criminal charges will be welcomed to the NFL after a short suspension. Not a great look. NFL players have done worse things as far as we know, but I don't know if another serial sexual predator has been welcomed back into the league. Ben had 3 cases so he was close but it still isn't a close comparison to 28 cases in a years time. That's legendary stuff. 

56 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Victimless? Hell of a way to spin prostitution and human trafficking- which was needed to get his hooker.

It was determined there was no human trafficking going on at that establishment and he was "massaged" by the owner of the establishment. Trying to make Kraft look worse doesn't make Watson look any better. I know it hurts a narrative to know facts sometimes but sheesh, read an article on a subject before claiming someone is human trafficking, that's extremely careless.

A prostitute isn't necessarily a victim. Maybe a victim of circumstances, life choices or whatever but not by the customers that they seek out to offer their services.

Are adult film stars victims? Models victims? Are cheerleaders victims?

Watson has claims against him that at least 28 women felt uncomfortable up to feeling forced to touch/perform acts against their will. Kraft has zero claims of the like.

I'm as anti-owner as they come but there is no comparison between someone willingly performing acts and someone being forced or pressured into uncomfortable acts or situations.

P.S. Kraft has a lot more money than Watson and would be a huge target and not one woman tried to swindle him. Also it is so much more believable that a woman would be less attracted to an 80 something year old man than a mid 20's athlete. Still, 0 claims of Kraft acting out against a female and a ton against Watson. They aren't the same. Watson is a million times worse. His suspension should emphasize that.