Atlanta Falcons sign Marcus Mariota

Nightmare

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

So Arthur Smith loves this dude or something, why give him around $9 mil a year when he is just a backup in the league?  Hell Josh Rosen who I hate might have a better shot at being productive but maybe this is Mariota's time to shine.

Curious what they do with that draft pick, if they reach for a QB or not, could probably get one 2nd round no doubt.  

I think they should try Frank's out. 

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

So Arthur Smith loves this dude or something, why give him around $9 mil a year when he is just a backup in the league?  Hell Josh Rosen who I hate might have a better shot at being productive but maybe this is Mariota's time to shine.

Curious what they do with that draft pick, if they reach for a QB or not, could probably get one 2nd round no doubt.  

He's getting 6.75 million this year, that's pennies. Next year they have an out if they cut him before the 5th day of the league year. If Mariota performs well and they want to roll with him next year 12 million for a starting QB will be a steal, if he doesn't they walk away with an early first round pick and an easy cut to give themselves even more cap room to work with.

Rosen was horrible for Atlanta, yes he has a live arm and it was totally different with him out there than Matt, but that was a VERY bad thing. Franks also sucked when given the chance. Those guys came in and just threw it to the defense repeatedly every time they were out there. So bring in Marcus and see what happens, Rosen was someone who piqued my interest, but that quickly faded.

I hope we don't go QB @ 8 and and I hope honestly we don't even go QB at all unless someone like Pickett slides into the late 2nd and we're basically just getting him with zero expectations.

The draft is going to play a huge role for what the Falcons look like this year (even moreso than most years) the cupboard is pretty bare in Atlanta, but there are some bright spots and if rookies come in and play well then this team could find itself in the middle of the pack. If not we end up in that top 3 pick range and we'll be able to pull the trigger on a young signal caller next year without any need for feeling bad.

I love that the franchise doesn't look or feel the same as it did recently, if we have to lose the Matt Ryan era, lets lose it all together, blow this thing up and lets make this place exciting (even if it is messy for a bit)

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

With a new coaching staff, regression should be expected.

Thankfully though the Saints should still finish 2nd with the Panthers and Falcons fighting for a top 5 pick.

I agree that the Bucs are the favorites for the NFC South at this point. That said, I think the Saints are capable of winning 10-11 games this year and being a wild card team. The Saints just need solid QB play much like they got from Jameis last year to be competitive in the NFC. Then let our elite defense do their thing and guys like Kamara and Thomas (will be playing this year) make plays on offense.  

Pete Carmichael has been our Offensive Coordinator since we won the Super Bowl in 2009. Dennis Allen has been with the team since 2015 and has played a key role in our defense being a great unit the past few years. I'd be surprised if the system on both sides of the ball isn't very similar to what the Saints have ran over the years with maybe a few small changes on offense now that Carmichael has more control. I just don't think regression is to be expected in this situation given the talent the Saints still have on both sides of the ball with most of our players right in their prime. Last year we had about as bad of luck as a team can possibly have with starters missing games (we started 4 QB's and set a record for most different starters in a season) and still had an above .500 year.

• Like 1