Baker Mayfield (poll)

NudeTayne

Reclamation project?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Browns eat $8mil of the contract and the Lions send a '23 4th

• Yea
    • Horse sound

As a Baker apologist, I'd like him to go to the best situation possible. Others are talking about Seattle and Carolina, but I'd like him to go to Detroit and could see a resurgence for the guy who broke the rookie TD record in not even a full season (and yes, Herbert happened to break the record the year after, but that just means he's in good company). 

Baker was very injured last year and instead of being lauded for playing through it or at least having folks question the coaching decision to keep him out there, he has conveniently been made into the scapegoat for the Browns(y) organization. 

They are leaking every hit piece they can on him with absolutely no evidence(, which, of course, I'll change my tune on if anything actually manifests, but I doubt it). Baker has a fiery a-type of personality but is a hard worker, passionate about the game and wants to win.

I'm amazed at folks talking about giving him away for nothing, and yet here we are. The poll is my estimate of what will actually happen, whichever team he ends up on. The Browns don't want the headache and with the signing off Brissett I'm guessing Baker is traded before the draft. 

At 1/$10mil, Baker becomes low-risk and a high-end backup who could be the starter if Goff falters. Dorsey drafted Baker and reportedly loved him and Josh Allen. What say you all? Would you be interested if that was the deal? 

Edited by NudeTayne

I'd be more open to it if we were looking at the Browns eating $12M (we pay $6M) and it was a 5th (especially since we don't have a 4th). 

The Browns do have the cap space so they could arguably just eat the $18M as a sunk cost out of spite but I'd rather get something back for the guy and truly begin to move on with the Deshaun Watson era. 

Just now, Karnage84 said:

I'd be more open to it if we were looking at the Browns eating $12M (we pay $6M) and it was a 5th (especially since we don't have a 4th). 

The Browns do have the cap space so they could arguably just eat the $18M as a sunk cost out of spite but I'd rather get something back for the guy and truly begin to move on with the Deshaun Watson era. 

I personally think that he's going to be cut and I could see him signing a $2.5M+/- fully guaranteed deal with us because of his relationship with Dorsey and the QB situation isn't set even with Goff in the room. If [Baker] wants a more direct path to a starting job, Seattle is hands down the best spot right now. 

1 hour ago, SimbaWho said:

This forum is wild though, people believe in building a defense through safeties now. 

I don't know about building a defense through safeties but having two legit starting safeties is helpful.  Right now, we only have one in Tracy Walker.  40-time aside, If Hamilton really can be a difference-maker at the second and third levels of our defense, it would make our defense a lot better.

• Like 1

It doesn't feel like the right deal for Detroit. The problem is that Baker will be on a one year deal. He and Goff are almost the same age. Goff has shown more and played better last year. Baker is a worthwhile reclamation project imo. But even if Goff falters, the Lions will have to make a call on paying Baker based on less than a full season of starting. That's a tough situation. But if the Browns ate $12 million, maybe it becomes a better deal because you're just paying Baker to be a high-quality backup, something the Lions definitely lack.

On 3/25/2022 at 11:34 PM, jrry32 said:

It doesn't feel like the right deal for Detroit. The problem is that Baker will be on a one year deal. He and Goff are almost the same age. Goff has shown more and played better last year. Baker is a worthwhile reclamation project imo. But even if Goff falters, the Lions will have to make a call on paying Baker based on less than a full season of starting. That's a tough situation. But if the Browns ate $12 million, maybe it becomes a better deal because you're just paying Baker to be a high-quality backup, something the Lions definitely lack.

Let's say that Baker comes here but then leaves next year for a starting job with another roster (a la Trubisky). I'd have to imagine that would lead to a comp pick.