Jump to content

World Cup Draw ‘22


Fresh Prince
 Share

Recommended Posts

If someone could post the results it would be appreciated.

 

some fun groups with England and USA together. Also have Germany and Spain in the same group. I’m happy where Portugal ended up, Uruguay should be a tough match up, but with ghana and South Korea rounding out the group, they should be able to make it thought to the round of 16.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Group A
Qatar
Ecuador
Senegal
Netherlands

Group B
England
Iran
USA
Scotland/Ukraine or Wales

Group C
Argentina
Saudia Arabia
Mexico
Poland

Group D
France
Australia/UAE or Peru
Denmark
Tunisia

Group E
Spain
Costa Rica or New Zealand
Germany
Japan

Group F
Belgium
Canada
Morocco
Croatia

Group G
Brazil
Serbia
Switzerland
Cameroon

Group H
Portugal
Ghana
Uruguay
South Korea

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

(A) - Netherlands, Ecuador

(B) - England, USA

(C) - Argentina, Mexico

(D) - France, Denmark

(E) - Germany, Spain

(F) - Belgium, Canada

(G) - Brazil, Switzerland

(H) - Uruguay, Ghana

ROUND OF 16

Netherlands vs USA

Argentina vs Denmark

Germany vs Canada

Brazil vs Ghana

England vs Ecuador

France vs Mexico

Belgium vs Spain

Uruguay vs Switzerland

QUARTERFINAL

Netherlands vs Argentina

Germany vs Brazil

England vs France

Spain vs Switzerland

SEMIFINAL

Argentina vs Brazil

France vs Spain

FINAL

France vs Brazil

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

(A) - Netherlands, Ecuador

(B) - England, USA

(C) - Argentina, Mexico

(D) - France, Denmark

(E) - Germany, Spain

(F) - Belgium, Canada

(G) - Brazil, Switzerland

(H) - Uruguay, Ghana

ROUND OF 16

Netherlands vs USA

Argentina vs Denmark

Germany vs Canada

Brazil vs Ghana

England vs Ecuador

France vs Mexico

Belgium vs Spain

Uruguay vs Switzerland

QUARTERFINAL

Netherlands vs Argentina

Germany vs Brazil

England vs France

Spain vs Switzerland

SEMIFINAL

Argentina vs Brazil

France vs Spain

FINAL

France vs Brazil

Portugal doesn’t make the round of 16?

Half Baked Boo GIF

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, mse326 said:

No group of death this year

But it also couldn't have gone much worse for the US

Ive seen it rumored Bale is retiring and taking a position with Swansea. As lazy as hes been over the past few years. Wales goes in, its good hes winding on down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Group A
Qatar
Ecuador
Senegal
Netherlands

Probably the "easiest" group by default.  I think the Netherlands are the heavy favorites to come out of this group, so if they don't that'd be a massive upset.  I'd imagine the second place team is likely Senegal, although I wouldn't be surprised if Ecuador ended up sneaking out of the group.  I honestly expect Qatar to steal a win against one of those two teams, or potentially a draw against the Netherlands if they've locked up the top seed in Group A.

22 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Group B
England
Iran
USA
Scotland/Ukraine or Wales

Honestly, I don't think anyone can hate this group.  I think it's a very winnable group for any of the teams.  Obviously, England is the heavy favorite here, and I'd imagine that the second place goes to either USA or Wales (who I expect to be the final team).  Not the group of death possibility it could have been, but it's also not a layup by any means.  Probably one of the more well-rounded groups in this year's cup, so we should hopefully get some good soccer.

22 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Group C
Argentina
Saudia Arabia
Mexico
Poland

I think Argentina and Mexico are the heavy favorites to escape this group, but I'm not writing off Poland by any  means.  I think at the end of the day, how Mexico plays will determine if they or Poland make it into the next stage.  I just don't see Saudia Arabia making enough noise to push for more then 4th in this group.

22 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Group D
France
Australia/UAE or Peru
Denmark
Tunisia

Hard to hate this group if you're France.  You probably are headed to the next stage with little resistance.  Team #2 probably is Denmark, but I think Peru could make a real run at that.  Overall, it's a pretty good schedule for France.

22 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Group E
Spain
Costa Rica or New Zealand
Germany
Japan

Spain and Germany in the same group is a rough pairing, so those two will likely duke it out for the top spot.  I think Japan will be competitive, but ultimately I think they're going to come up short against Germany and Spain.  I don't see New Zealand beating Costa Rica, but I do think Costa Rica will be more competitive then I think most are going to expect.

22 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Group F
Belgium
Canada
Morocco
Croatia

Belgium should win this group pretty easily, but there's no real clear consensus for #2 out of this group.  I could see any of the 3 countries advancing.  With the way Canada has been playing, it wouldn't surprise me if they advanced here.

22 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Group G
Brazil
Serbia
Switzerland
Cameroon

Like Group F, I think Brazil is the heavy favorite here.  I'd imagine Switzerland will advance, but i think Serbia will make this group a bit more competitive then I think most are expecting.  Not sure Cameroon is going to be a pushover either.

22 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Group H
Portugal
Ghana
Uruguay
South Korea

Portugal and Urugary should be the heavy favorites here.  In a different group, I think Ghana would make more noise, but I think this group is going to be hard for them to get much.  I just don't see South Korea getting very far in this bracket either.

Predictions
A1 - Netherlands
A2 - Ecuador

B1 - England
B2 - USA

C1 - Argentina
C2 - Poland

D1 - France
D2 - Denmark

E1 - Germany
E2 - Spain

F1 - Belgium
F2 - Canada

G1 - Brazil
G2 - Switzerland

H1 - Portugal
H2 - Uruguay

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/2/2022 at 6:03 PM, CWood21 said:

Probably the "easiest" group by default.  I think the Netherlands are the heavy favorites to come out of this group, so if they don't that'd be a massive upset.  I'd imagine the second place team is likely Senegal, although I wouldn't be surprised if Ecuador ended up sneaking out of the group.  I honestly expect Qatar to steal a win against one of those two teams, or potentially a draw against the Netherlands if they've locked up the top seed in Group A.

Honestly, I don't think anyone can hate this group.  I think it's a very winnable group for any of the teams.  Obviously, England is the heavy favorite here, and I'd imagine that the second place goes to either USA or Wales (who I expect to be the final team).  Not the group of death possibility it could have been, but it's also not a layup by any means.  Probably one of the more well-rounded groups in this year's cup, so we should hopefully get some good soccer.

I think Argentina and Mexico are the heavy favorites to escape this group, but I'm not writing off Poland by any  means.  I think at the end of the day, how Mexico plays will determine if they or Poland make it into the next stage.  I just don't see Saudia Arabia making enough noise to push for more then 4th in this group.

Hard to hate this group if you're France.  You probably are headed to the next stage with little resistance.  Team #2 probably is Denmark, but I think Peru could make a real run at that.  Overall, it's a pretty good schedule for France.

Spain and Germany in the same group is a rough pairing, so those two will likely duke it out for the top spot.  I think Japan will be competitive, but ultimately I think they're going to come up short against Germany and Spain.  I don't see New Zealand beating Costa Rica, but I do think Costa Rica will be more competitive then I think most are going to expect.

Belgium should win this group pretty easily, but there's no real clear consensus for #2 out of this group.  I could see any of the 3 countries advancing.  With the way Canada has been playing, it wouldn't surprise me if they advanced here.

Like Group F, I think Brazil is the heavy favorite here.  I'd imagine Switzerland will advance, but i think Serbia will make this group a bit more competitive then I think most are expecting.  Not sure Cameroon is going to be a pushover either.

Portugal and Urugary should be the heavy favorites here.  In a different group, I think Ghana would make more noise, but I think this group is going to be hard for them to get much.  I just don't see South Korea getting very far in this bracket either.

Predictions
A1 - Netherlands
A2 - Ecuador

B1 - England
B2 - USA

C1 - Argentina
C2 - Poland

D1 - France
D2 - Denmark

E1 - Germany
E2 - Spain

F1 - Belgium
F2 - Canada

G1 - Brazil
G2 - Switzerland

H1 - Portugal
H2 - Uruguay

Group A: I am not sure Netherlands are that big of a favorite to win the group. Sénégal is really good - they have top players on every line and they just dominate teams in Africa. What they lack is a creative midfielder to create more good chances in those games where they dominate the time of possession (which might be an issue against say Ecuador) but I think them vs Netherlands is 50-50. And you can nevery underestimate a South American team nor the host.

Group B: I think Iran might surprise some people - I have them battling it out with the US for the 2nd spot in the group. They have good players, were really good in qualifying and in the last WC as well. I think the European team that qualifies, assuming it won't be Ukraine, finishes 4th.

Group C Argentina seems better that last WC I expect them to advance. It will be Mexico vs Poland for 2nd and Mexico just has a better track record at this level.

Group D : Denmark is better than people think. They dominated their quali group (a weak one to be honest), they tied England in their Nation league group and went to the semis in the Euro. I think they qualify easily though I do expect us (France) to win the group. Peru doesn't scare me to be honest and Tunisia is limited.

Group E : This is the hardest group. I agree with you, Spain and Germany should come out but as you said, both Japan and Costa Rica will be competitive. They both had trouble early in the qualifying phase but both had strong showings at the end of it and they both have experience in the WC.

Group F : I agree with you, Canada could surprise Croatia or Belgium here. But Croatia is no pushover and they still have most of the team that went on the finals last WC. Morocco is a talented side but they currrently have some internal turmoil. We'll see where they are at in November.

Group G : The group looks easy for Brazil but Switzerland and Serbia shouldn't be underestimated as they both advanced over Italy and Portugal in the qualifying phase. Anything can happen in this group I believe, even Cameroon (which has a solid defense and will be hard to beat) advancing. 

Group H: I think this is a much weaker group than people realise. Portugal is a super talented side but they just haven't really shown anything in the last years and barely qualified. Uruguay had a lot of issues in quali as well. Ghana just isn't good. They qualified over South Africa (which also isn't good) because of a gross referee mistake and then beat Nigeria which played terribly (Osimhen completed one single pass in the 1st leg). I think they might be the weaker side of the WC. I believe South korea has a good shot to advance here.

 

A1 - Netherlands

A2 - Senegal

 

B1 - England

B2 - Iran

 

C1 - Argentina

C2 - Mexico

 

D1 - France

D2 - Denmark

 

E1 - Germany

E2 - Spain

 

F1 - Croatia

F2 - Canada

 

G1 - Brazil

G2 - Serbia

 

H1 - Portugal

H2 - South Korea

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Prediction for groups

Green = Win

Blue = Second

Group A
Qatar
Ecuador
Senegal
Netherlands

Group B
England
Iran
USA
Scotland/Ukraine or Wales

* as an Englishman, trust me when I say beating England is all Wales live for. In everything. 

Group C
Argentina
Saudia Arabia
Mexico
Poland

Group D
France
Australia/UAE or Peru
Denmark
Tunisia

Group E
Spain
Costa Rica or New Zealand
Germany
Japan

Group F
Belgium
Canada
Morocco
Croatia

Group G
Brazil
Serbia
Switzerland
Cameroon

Group H
Portugal
Ghana
Uruguay
South Korea

 

Final: France vs Spain.

Edited by Hunter2_1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/4/2022 at 6:19 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

* as an Englishman, trust me when I say beating England is all Wales live for. In everything. 

 

Whats your grass roots club?

I keep up with the National League South and Isthmian League. They intrigue me on a business level, (or as a business model) that I wish could be brought to America, and pushed for with the happenings in Brazil. Love seeing all the Euro leagues trying to help Brazil, instead of figuring new ways to screw them out of talent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Whats your grass roots club?

I keep up with the National League South and Isthmian League. They intrigue me on a business level, (or as a business model) that I wish could be brought to America, and pushed for with the happenings in Brazil. Love seeing all the Euro leagues trying to help Brazil, instead of figuring new ways to screw them out of talent.

It was Corringham Athletic, East of England League. Essex FA.

Yeah it’s so different to the US’s format isn’t it. I don’t know much about youth football, but boys here are brought into the academies so early and just brought up via that route. 
 

would be nice for Brazilian stars to play in Brazil, but the money enticement is far too powerful right 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

It was Corringham Athletic, East of England League. Essex FA.

Yeah it’s so different to the US’s format isn’t it. I don’t know much about youth football, but boys here are brought into the academies so early and just brought up via that route. 
 

would be nice for Brazilian stars to play in Brazil, but the money enticement is far too powerful right 

There are youth programs. But the style of just getting kids to exercise. More like college football, its High School that draws the attention for athletes.

I look at Turrock (glad you picked the area I enjoy following). Under 300k people I believe. You have Aveley, Grays, East Turrock, Purfleet, Tilbury. Thats a lot of jobs being left on the table here in the US, and showcases what the sport can bring to the community. Why the Isthmian drew me in. I lived near a year south of Sao Paulo, now Im down river from DC. If either adopted their formula, it would do wonders in helping these communities.

For Brazil. They need stability. That money enticement you mentioned includes the clubs themselves even moreso than the players anymore. Year before Covid their clubs sold between 1200-1600 players to teams around the globe. Get 4 players for what 1 cost in Mexico. And they had to sell these players because the system was far beyond any repair. They needed this reset button.  LaLiga president a couple days ago was sending the the full blueprint model for the LaLiga system. Others doing the same. I just wish it could happen in America. See FIFA grow a spine and contend with American sports instead of bending the knee and puckering up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

There are youth programs. But the style of just getting kids to exercise. More like college football, its High School that draws the attention for athletes.

I look at Turrock (glad you picked the area I enjoy following). Under 300k people I believe. You have Aveley, Grays, East Turrock, Purfleet, Tilbury. Thats a lot of jobs being left on the table here in the US, and showcases what the sport can bring to the community. Why the Isthmian drew me in. I lived near a year south of Sao Paulo, now Im down river from DC. If either adopted their formula, it would do wonders in helping these communities.

For Brazil. They need stability. That money enticement you mentioned includes the clubs themselves even moreso than the players anymore. Year before Covid their clubs sold between 1200-1600 players to teams around the globe. Get 4 players for what 1 cost in Mexico. And they had to sell these players because the system was far beyond any repair. They needed this reset button.  LaLiga president a couple days ago was sending the the full blueprint model for the LaLiga system. Others doing the same. I just wish it could happen in America. See FIFA grow a spine and contend with American sports instead of bending the knee and puckering up.

Ha, I played for East Thurrock as a boy. Small world. 

I completely agree, it should happen in America. 

Sao Paulo, I'd imagine there isn't a more concentrated hot-bed of potential talent in the world. A bee hive of youth talent just waiting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Ha, I played for East Thurrock as a boy. Small world. 

I completely agree, it should happen in America. 

Sao Paulo, I'd imagine there isn't a more concentrated hot-bed of potential talent in the world. A bee hive of youth talent just waiting.

Oh Id rival the Hampton Roads area for potential against anywhere in the world. (Norfolk, Hampton, Virginia Beach, Suffock, Newport News, Chesapeake) Their basically all Boroughs to be looked at collectively. Though count as separate cities. Sheer athlete wise, trounces any region in Brazil. And its all thrown to the wind.

Only way I see anything even beginning to materialize here. Is giving 2 more CONCACAF spots to Mexico, 1 more to Canada and 2 to the USL. But not even that little would happen due to the MLS intentionally destroying and keeping its bootheel on soccers throat. Which is why LigaMX CRUSHES MLS in ratings here.

Few other things. How do you not rock that East Turrock Grim Reaper as an avatar? What the heck is that on Basildons crest? Theyre called The Bees or something, yet it looks like a silhouette of a stripper laying over a table lol. And how many jobs do you think East Turrock helped put in that area?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...