There hasn't been a defense as dominate as the 2000s Ravens since then...

mdonnelly21

On 4/6/2022 at 9:42 PM, biggie. said:

The 2002 Eagles defense were arguably superior to the 2000 Ravens.

I don’t see how?

2002 Eagles allowed 15ppg, were 4th in yards, run defense allowed 4.3YPA, which ranked 20th

2000 Ravens allowed 10ppg, were 2nd in yards allowed, run defense allowed 2.7YPA, which was the league’s best

The 2002 Eagles allowed the below average Buccaneers offense to score 20 points in the NFCCG at Veterans Stadium. The 2000 Ravens defense only allowed 16 points in 4 playoff games which included two top 3 offenses 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

They seem to be competent in three parts of defense, pass rush coverage and stopping the run. 

I do wonder if they would be less effective in 22, and significantly so with their pass rush being a little behind their run stopping ability.

Yes the defense was built in an era where stopping the run was still the primary goal of the front 7. They played Siragusa and Sam Adams together at DT, which I don't think make sense in this era. 

Also they physically brutalized their opponents, which isn't allowed anymore. So they'd have to change their tactics/mentality. In 2000 I never saw so many teams happy to leave the field after going 3 and out. 

On 4/4/2022 at 4:57 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Gotcha. No argument there.

Same goes for the 85 Bears. I made that argument when I was campaigning the 15' Broncos as potentially (IMO, dont kill me) as the greatest defense ever.

The best QB the 85' Bears faced was Phil Simms, who is 69th (nice) all time in QBR and isnt even in the HOF.

That 'No Fly Zone' 2015 Broncos defense had to run through Aaron Rodgers, Andrew Luck, Tom Brady (2x), Ben Roethlisberger, Phillip Rivers (2x) and MVP Cam Newton. They held Rodgers to 72 passing yards, destroyed Newtons entire career and hit Brady more times in a single game then he has been hit in his career.

Im going to go with them because their combo of lockdown secondary play combined with the pass rush of Miller/Ware and others was a sight to behold and they did it all season long against the absolute best QBs in the NFL and multiple HOFers. The blueprint for that teams success is still trying to be copied today with every team trying to find not 1, but 2 elite EDGE rushers. Not saying that it hasnt been done before (Freeney, Mathis) but since 15' there is a concerted effort by every team to find a tandem.

Edited by AkronsWitness

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Same goes for the 85 Bears. I made that argument when I was campaigning the 15' Broncos as potentially (IMO, dont kill me) as the greatest defense ever.

The best QB the 85' Bears faced was Phil Simms, who is 69th (nice) all time in QBR and isnt even in the HOF.

That 'No Fly Zone' 2015 Broncos defense had to run through Aaron Rodgers, Andrew Luck, Tom Brady (2x), Ben Roethlisberger, Phillip Rivers (2x) and MVP Cam Newton. They held Rodgers to 72 passing yards, destroyed Newtons entire career and hit Brady more times in a single game then he has been hit in his career.

Im going to go with them because their combo of lockdown secondary play combined with the pass rush of Miller/Ware and others was a sight to behold and they did it all season long against the absolute best QBs in the NFL and multiple HOFers. The blueprint for that teams success is still trying to be copied today with every team trying to find not 1, but 2 elite EDGE rushers. Not saying that it hasnt been done before (Freeney, Mathis) but since 15' there is a concerted effort by every team to find a tandem.

I'd love to see an in-depth breakdown of the 2013 Seahawks vs. the 2015 Broncos.

The Broncos has Ware/Miller who are bigger names, but I think Avril/Bennett were a very formidable pass rush duo combined with Bruce Irvin during 2013 but that may just be pure homerism on my part.

45 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'd love to see an in-depth breakdown of the 2013 Seahawks vs. the 2015 Broncos.

The Broncos has Ware/Miller who are bigger names, but I think Avril/Bennett were a very formidable pass rush duo combined with Bruce Irvin during 2013 but that may just be pure homerism on my part.

Just looked up some basic pass rush numbers. Only thing I cant find is pressures.

DEN- 52 sacks (#1), 8.3% sack rate (#1), 123 QB Hits (#1), 351 yards lost with sacks (#2), 283 yards allowed (#1)

SEA- 44 sacks (#8), 7.7% sack rate (#5), 99 QB Hits (#6), 298 yards lost with sacks (#8), 273 yards allowed (#1)

Here is the real kicker which I was alluding to in my previous post about who the Broncos were doing that against.

DEN- 7 games vs. top 10 offenses

SEA- 3 games vs. top 10 offenses

Thats why I say, relative to the competition they played--the 2015 Broncos have a case as good as any to be the greatest defense of all time. They were playing a HOF QB every 3 games or a top 10 offense every other week--and they put up these type of numbers. 

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

I remember this Ravens team..SOOOO boring to watch because every game was 13-6.  Alas, I respected it, and I respected even more and solidified my opinion that defenses win championship.  Seattle's Legion of Boom waxed the floor with one of the best offenses in history in the Super Bowl.  They did the Broncos so bad that Elway went and replicated a defense similar to the Legion of Boom with the No Fly Zone unit that took out a high powered Panther team that was heavily favored in the Super Bowl.  So, I am going to give the Ravens D some credit that they were exemplary in their play, even more than, dare I say it, the 85 Bears?