Do you know enough to give up on Deshone Kizer?

brownie man

Do you know enough right now to say its time to move on from Kizer?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Do you know enough to say its time to move on from Deshone?

• Yes I know enough he will not be a franchise QB in Cleveland ever
    • I will decide after he has more time
    • I will decide after I see him with a better supporting cast
    • I am sticking with him for the forseeable future

3 hours ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

The reality is we haven't seen enough to base Kizer's entire career on. He's got some of the most crucial traits of an elite QB.

Yes, his mistakes at devastating. But here's the thing: He's 21 years old...

Rookie mistakes are always going to appear far worse than those of a veteran. You take a look at the QB's who came into this league at that age, and I'm not sure any of them succeeded initially. It takes time. The fact that he has very little support doesn't help. Among the highest drop rates in the league, penalties, etc. Those can't be pinned on him.

What can be pinned on him is the poor decision-making, clock management, and accuracy. Two of the three, I have seen drastic improvement. The third - accuracy - is the lone factor that will make or break the kid. I think he is just inconsistent with it. At times, spot on. Other instances, nowhere near his target.  The fact that we know he CAN make the plays tells me there is potential for him to execute them on a more consistent basis.

I know I'm in the minority, and I'm certain the front office wants a new QB. All I'm saying is - to give up hope on Kizer at this point in his career is ridiculous.

This is what I've said since the beginning. Sometimes he is spot on its just that consistency

So if our QB guru could help our young QB become more consistent I think Kizer could really be a player

But Hue Jackson sucks

25 minutes ago, brownie man said:

This is what I've said since the beginning. Sometimes he is spot on its just that consistency

So if our QB guru could help our young QB become more consistent I think Kizer could really be a player

But Hue Jackson sucks

My biggest problem with Kizer is he is showing the same negatives he showed in college. I remember saying it pre draft, he bird dogs his main read. Its extraordinarily rare for a qb coming out of college to overcome it. I personally have not seen it. Doesn’t mean a qb can’t have success in the nfl. I’m still not giving up on him as he has nice qualities about him. He needs to be the 3rd guy and keep learning. But as of now I don’t see him being much more than a backup. 

1 hour ago, Bonanza23 said:

My biggest problem with Kizer is he is showing the same negatives he showed in college. I remember saying it pre draft, he bird dogs his main read. Its extraordinarily rare for a qb coming out of college to overcome it. I personally have not seen it. Doesn’t mean a qb can’t have success in the nfl. I’m still not giving up on him as he has nice qualities about him. He needs to be the 3rd guy and keep learning. But as of now I don’t see him being much more than a backup. 

Here's the thing...say we take Rosen or Darnold. Both will be 21 by the time next season starts (Kizer's age). Would you rather throw the new rook out to the wolves next season, or are you thinking we sign a vet and start them? I feel like at this point, after Kizer gained a full year under his belt, we might as well continue to stick with him until an injury or Hue feels that the new rook QB is ready.

We Browns fans always want the shiny new toy. Going into this season, it was Kizer. Because he's new, and we witnessed exciting qualities about the kid that add this mystique about his potential, many of us fans wanted him to get the nod. Well, I still think there's a high degree of capability that Kizer has not yet reached. We shouldn't rush another QB into the fold until Kizer plateaus. There's evidence to suggest that he is nowhere near that point yet.

12 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

I think both Darnold and Rosen are ready enough to start right away. But I do want a veteran qb in here as a sounding board and a guy that can start if whatever coach we have deems the rook not ready. 

I'd love to have a guy of the Josh McCown mold on this roster. As for them starting, though, I personally would much rather have Kizer out there. Between him or a vet QB, Kizer is the one with long term potential. I just don't think you can give up on that after one year, at only 22 years old, by that time.

18 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

I think both Darnold and Rosen are ready enough to start right away. But I do want a veteran qb in here as a sounding board and a guy that can start if whatever coach we have deems the rook not ready. 

I agree that either would likely start right away, but there is always the possibility that like Trubisky, he may be given  somewhere between 7-9 games to adjust himself with the speed of the NFL before starting. This is a common practice for rookie QB's and is usually a better option.

12 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

I'd love to have a guy of the Josh McCown mold on this roster. As for them starting, though, I personally would much rather have Kizer out there. Between him or a vet QB, Kizer is the one with long term potential. I just don't think you can give up on that after one year, at only 22 years old, by that time.

Kizer's long term potential is as a career backup and not much more, People, he is a 2nd round QB who carry around a 6% chance for success, so the odds were already stacked highly against him to begin with. He is not going to get significantly better, no matter how much talent you put around him. He is what he is, a potential career backup QB. career backups can look pretty good for a game or 2, but once defenses catch up to them, they start to come apart and show their weaknesses and they cannot win consistently as a starter.

If Kizer is our starter next year, we will be lucky to win one game, 2 at the most, is that what you really want???

4 hours ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Would you rather throw the new rook out to the wolves next season, or are you thinking we sign a vet and start them?

Sign a vet and start him.

No more Cueball QB competition hijinks that always seem to end up with the guy starting who he originally liked the most.

Unfortunately, Hue has to know that next season could be his last as our HC, if he does not show significant improvement in our win total. So, he will be coaching from a panic mode and who know what he will do at the QB position??? He likely starts Darnold, which the owner will like and prays for the best, so if I was a betting man, I would guess that Darnold starts from day 1!!!

22 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Kizer's long term potential is as a career backup and not much more, People, he is a 2nd round QB who carry around a 6% chance for success, so the odds were already stacked highly against him to begin with. He is not going to get significantly better, no matter how much talent you put around him. He is what he is, a potential career backup QB. career backups can look pretty good for a game or 2, but once defenses catch up to them, they start to come apart and show their weaknesses and they cannot win consistently as a starter.

If Kizer is our starter next year, we will be lucky to win one game, 2 at the most, is that what you really want???

I cannot put into words how wrong you truly are...I could write you a small book about the growth and maturity Kizer has shown as the year has progressed, but I'm gonna sum it up into three words: 21 YEARS OLD. We cannot base his potential solely on this season, considering his personnel, and his youth. That's not fair to him.

25 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

I cannot put into words how wrong you truly are...I could write you a small book about the growth and maturity Kizer has shown as the year has progressed, but I'm gonna sum it up into three words: 21 YEARS OLD. We cannot base his potential solely on this season, considering his personnel, and his youth. That's not fair to him.

Acdc, you're wasting your time.

Thank me later.

13 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not saying he's a future pro-bowler. Alls I'm sayin is we cannot base his entire career on this season. I don't see how anyone could disagree with this logic unless they don't know football.

I'm with you, the kid's 21 and has all the physical talent in the world.

no im not giving up on him, but im not sold on him.  he has gotten better.   im not hopefull about his long term prospects but alex smith sucked real hard year one too.
a kirk cousins signing and a trade down from 1 and then saquon and something else makes this team really good while giving us a chance to win right away and into the future and even after kirk cousins stops playing in a browns uniform

chances of cousins becoming our drew brees? probably none but I CAN DREAM

Archived