Expectations for 2nd year QBs

NYRaider

• Trevor Lawrence

Slightly better, should have more weapons, still underwhelming, Jags fans still foaming at the mouth defending him

• Justin Fields

Marked improvement, better awareness and not take as many sacks per game, probably some highlight reel plays, still not 'it'

• Trey Lance

More than Jimmy

• Mac Jones

About the same. Solid, smart, does his job. Depends if they can get him another WR 

• Davis Mills 

....Who? Nah, about the same

• Zach Wilson

Benched

• Like 4

• Trey Lance is definitely in the best position to succeed although there's some added pressure to perform immediately if Jimmy is still there since he can and likely will be benched if they're not winning early, if he even wins the job in training camp. 

• I'm interested to see how Mac Jones performs without McDaniels, who gutted most of the Patriots offensive staff. And IIRC they didn't even hire a new OC. 

• Justin Fields has pretty limited talent around him and was pretty bad last season, new OC this year as well, don't think he has a great year. 

• Davis Mills flashed late in the season but it will be tough with limited talent around him.

• The Jaguars did add some pieces around Trevor although I don't think any of them are all that special. Though going from Urban to a real coaching staff should help his development. 

• Zach Wilson is another one that I'm interested to see, the Jets OL in theory could be pretty good, he has continuity with the coaching staff, and they seem pretty determined to get him another WR. 

2 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

I think Wilson takes the biggest step forward next year. Kid's got a really good arm and Douglas is trying to surround him with talent. 

Their offensive line should be better for sure, interested to see if they go WR early. 

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

With 6 second year QB's projected to be starters next season what are your expectations for each of them?

• Trevor Lawrence

• Justin Fields

• Trey Lance

• Mac Jones

• Davis Mills 

• Zach Wilson

I dont think Trey Lance starts out of the gate.

Trevor Lawrence is harder for me to gauge I don't know what to expect from that offense.

Zach Wilson I honestly think has the biggest 2nd year improvement.

Mac Jones I think puts NE in contention for the division again 

Davis Mills I think elevates to an average QB, I think his career trajectory is positive but I don't expect a major jump from him.

I dont have expectations for Fields because I don't think he is a good QB

• Like 1

Regarding Trevor Lawrence, just watch the Week 18 game against the Colts.  The offensive line gave him time to pass, and his receivers got open (and actually held onto the ball most of the time when it was passed to them).  If our offensive line holds up, and our revamped WR corps can get open, catch, and not drop his passes, I expect the Week 18 performance to be the norm for Trevor this season.

This is the main reason why I would prefer to see the Jags draft Evan Neal or Ikem Ekwonu at #1.  As much as I enjoy a geat pass rush, Trevor needs to be our priority right now.  We can always get pass rushers in the future.  You don't get a chance to have a quarterback like Trevor Lawrence very often, and we can't blow the chance we have right now.

48 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Sean Mannion lol

Do you think the new regime will keep him around?  If anyone gets axed, I would have thought it would be Mannion after that horrendous performance last year.  With Kellen Mond, it's reasonable to think he may still have some unlocked potential. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

This is the main reason why I would prefer to see the Jags draft Evan Neal or Ikem Ekwonu at #1.  As much as I enjoy a geat pass rush, Trevor needs to be our priority right now.  We can always get pass rushers in the future.  You don't get a chance to have a quarterback like Trevor Lawrence very often, and we can't blow the chance we have right now.

You don't have faith in Robinson, Taylor, and Little being able to hold it down at OT in some variation? 

One thing that gives me hope with Lawrence is that Pederson/Press were with Wentz in Philly where he went from meh as a rookie to a legitimate MVP candidate in year two with a less than stellar group of weapons around him. I think that you guys still lack that one true difference maker offensively, although Etiene could be that guy, but I think M.Jones/Kirk/Sheanult is a solid group. I am still a firm believer in the Shenault hype train, lol.