Expectations for 2nd year QBs

NYRaider

5 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

Lawrence has the long javelin thrower release. Unless he develops a changeup game I think it will be improvement simply because there's no other direction to go, but nothing resembling the expectations.

This dude acting like he has a Byron Leftwich windup 😂

Where is this long javelin thrower release?

What the Bears are doing to Justin Fields is criminal. 

Edited by KhanYouDigIt

Fields Im going to need for the Bears to at least pretend that they care about getting their young QB actual weapons while also realizing David Montgomery is a replacement level RB. He is easily in the worst position of the other 2nd year guys in regards to surrounding talent. So hope and pray he can put the team on his back, I guess.

Zach Wilson being bad would be the least surprising thing ever. Didnt understand the hype/draft spot selection and still dont.

Lawrence I think takes a good step forward but far from the Andrew Luck-elite level prospect/play he was billed as. Has a handful of 'wow' games where he shows the future is bright, yet a bit inconsistent.

Jones I have no opinions on. I think he turns into Derek Carr. A QB is good but not great, who has a high comp% and makes the right play albeit unspectacular throwing timing routes all the way down field.

Edited by AkronsWitness

On 4/12/2022 at 2:37 AM, NYRaider said:

With 6 second year QB's projected to be starters next season what are your expectations for each of them?

• Trevor Lawrence

• Justin Fields

• Trey Lance

• Mac Jones

• Davis Mills 

• Zach Wilson

Lawrence need to get the Jags to the playoffs. We saw Burrow take the Bengals from worst to the Superbowl in his 2nd season. The Jags got an offensive mind in Pederson, they made alot of moves in the offseason and they have the 1st pick to go get possibly Hutchinson to help the defense. The AFCS isn’t overly tough. If Lawrence is a generational type QB like many say he is then he need to help the Jags take a big leap in year 2.

Fields just has to continue to get better. Just like Lawrence he wasn’t given a legit chance due to his circumstances. The Bears have to put pieces around him for him to succeed. I just want to see him have a full season as a starter under his belt and him show signs of improvement.

Lance has the most pressure on him just bc the team basically choose him over Jimmy G. The same Jimmy G who was the QB that took the Niners to a Superbowl with a 4th Q lead and an NFCCG with a 4th Q lead. The Niners gave up a ton for Lance too. He has the better team around him than all these QBs. People think with Lance the Niners could actually be the best team in the NFC. He need to be better than Jimmy G and get the Niners at least back to the NFCCG and then get them over the hump to eventually win a Superbowl. Lynch and Kyle jobs are tied to how Lance does.

Jones need to take the Pats back to the playoffs and improve on his performance and get a playoff win. I expect the Pats to take a step back in the division as I love what the Dolphins have done. I think the Pats will miss the playoffs bc the AFC is so deep and I think when it’s all said and done the Pats will see that while Jones is decent he isn’t a difference maker and thus I can see him not making it to his 2nd contract with the Pats and they will be looking for a real franchise QB if they want any shot to compete with a the Bills, Chiefs, and any of the other top tier teams in the AFC who have elite level QBs for many years to come.

Mills could develop into a nice starting QB but I’ll put him in the same category as Hurts. Will see how he does this upcoming season and more than likely won’t do much thus the Texans will be in position in the draft next year to go after Young, Stroud, or  another potential franchise QB.

Wilson is on the same situation as Fields. He was in a horrible situation last season. The Jets need to get him some weapons. They have Moore, traded for Parker, and we will see if the can go after Deebo or Metcalf to get one of them. Then if they can’t they still have the 4th and 10th picks to go get one of the top receivers in the draft. Also continue to fix the OL and again just let Wilson continue to develop and show signs of improvement. 

18 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Hence why the guy who spent it was fired. Outside of the Jefferson pick, we’ve been blown a lot of day 1 and day 2 picks on bad players. But Mond was horrendous. Over the years I’ve seen undrafted camp arms that showed more hope than Mond. I don’t know what his problem is but he wouldn’t have been in the roster if not for his draft status. Would be shocked if he makes the team. 

Remember Brian Brohm?  🤮  2nd rounder.  LOL!

2 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Lawrence need to get the Jags to the playoffs. We saw Burrow take the Bengals from worst to the Superbowl in his 2nd season. The Jags got an offensive mind in Pederson, they made alot of moves in the offseason and they have the 1st pick to go get possibly Hutchinson to help the defense. The AFCS isn’t overly tough. If Lawrence is a generational type QB like many say he is then he need to help the Jags take a big leap in year 2.

Jaguars need to get him Chase, Higgins, Boyd, and Mixon first, lol.

• Like 1

Lawrence- Complete over 60% of passes, throw at least 20 TDs, cut down on the turnovers, team probably isn't good enough for a winning record but should see improvement
Wilson- Same as Lawrence 
Lance- Show that you're as good as Jimmy or better, making the Super Bowl, or even winning it, would be nice but might be a bit too much to expect in his first year starting but he should at least ten wins and making the playoffs again should be reasonable enough, especially with the NFC getting weaker
Fields- Same as Lawrence and Wilson
Jones- Cut down on turnovers, improve a little on your rookie year's yardage and TD numbers, AFC might be too stacked to make the playoffs again but at least another winning season would be nice

Edited by jonnguy2015

8 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Remember Brian Brohm?  🤮  2nd rounder.  LOL!

Another Packer quarterback I was wrong on.  I thought he was going to be really good.  It just goes to show that nobody should take my word on anything when it comes to QB's (except Tebow).  :D

15 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Another Packer quarterback I was wrong on.  I thought he was going to be really good.  It just goes to show that nobody should take my word on anything when it comes to QB's (except Tebow).  :D

I didn't expect much, but he managed to undershoot what I was expecting.  Matt Flynn straight out played him.  The only worse QB we had make a roster had to be Graham Harrell. 

2 hours ago, biggie. said:

There's no guarantee Lance even starts. He was horrible as a rookie and Jimmy is still on the roster.

They've given every indication that Lance is the starter. Seems like a crazy mind game to play if it's going to be Jimmy and they need that money at some point. Can't cut Jimmy yet because of the injury guarantee. Seldom will I say something 100% will or won't happen, but Jimmy starting this season for the niners would be very shocking to me. 

Not sure what you were looking at with Lance. Seattle was pretty gnarly bad, but no gameplan or reps isn't shocking. 

He was neutered against Arizona and did about as well as could be expected but looked fine against Houston. Some bad, some really good. He's got to work on releasing the ball faster, but stuff like that comes with playing. You have to adjust to game speed. 

Have no idea if Lance will be good or bad, but there's certainly nothing that he did last year that would prohibit me from turning it over to him next year

Bold Prediction:

Lance becomes a Top 10 QB in the NFL and balls out with Shanahan

Semi Bold Prediction: 

Lawrence becomes a Top 15 NFL QB

The rest:

Wilson will look a lot better, but still look below average. I can't blame him too much though, it's the Jets. Year 3 will be Make or Break for Wilson. 

I think the same will ring true for Fields, he'll look better, but still below average QB play.