What is your one trade you'd like to see the Packers make on day 1 of the draft?

Old Guy

28 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

My ideal trade would be up or down out of the No. 22 spot. It seems like a dead zone in terms of talent. I'd like to see us trade up 5 or so spots and get someone like Jordan Davis  or trade down for a first round pick next year.

I have seen the 'trade for a first-round pick next year' thing several times lately, but isn't that counter an 'all in' and 'win now' approach?

5 hours ago, Old Guy said:

For me, ideally George Karlaftis is somehow sitting there at 22. Kind of like how Brian Bulaga fell in our lap. I think he'd be the last of the 1st round graded EDGE rushers to have a chance to fall to us.

We then package 28, 53 and 132 total points 1070 points to the Jets for 35 and 38 total of 1070 points. 

I'd then like to score George Pickens, Tyler Smith, Perrion Winfrey and David Bell in rounds 2 and 3. 

I'd be a happy camper, but will Karlaftis fall? Probably not. 

Snap

8 minutes ago, R T said:

I have seen the 'trade for a first-round pick next year' thing several times lately, but isn't that counter an 'all in' and 'win now' approach?

I'd say it is, but acquiring draft capital is in our DNA, we just can't help who we are.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Not from me.  Don't panic draft.  Someone good will be there at 22, and 28.  We have an at least above average OL, Aaron Rodgers, and two very good RBs.  Also, while probably nobody's first choice, Lazard, Cobb, and Watkins isn't horrible IF (that's a big if) they can stay healthy.  We will find some contributors.  If the good WR isn't there in the first, a 3rd edge guy most likely is.  Get him on board and ready to kick some butts.  

I get that, but everyone knows we need at least one WR with our first 4 picks. I would hate to have Wilson, Williams, London, Burks, Pickens, and Olave be gone at 22, so we grab an Edge or OT.

Then at 29 Dotson and Watson are gone(I want nothing to do with Dotson). So we are left hoping we can land Pierce, Bell, or Moore with a SRP. I wouldn't mind any of these 3 if we were able to land one of the top 6 WRs, but I dont think any of these 3 would be more than a #3/#4 WR for us.

2 hours ago, R T said:

It's always a fun discussion, but there's really not much of a chance of that happening.  I believe the last time a future FRP was traded for a non-QB was in 2018 when the Saints gave up their '19 FRP to select Marcus Davenport.  I believe the last time a team traded out of the first round all together for a future FRP was in 2007 when the Patriots traded their pick to the 49ers for their '08 FRP and a 4th in 2007.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

It's always a fun discussion, but there's really not much of a chance of that happening.  I believe the last time a future FRP was traded for a non-QB was in 2018 when the Saints gave up their '19 FRP to select Marcus Davenport.  I believe the last time a team traded out of the first round all together for a future FRP was in 2007 when the Patriots traded their pick to the 49ers for their '08 FRP and a 4th in 2007.

Along with the fact that the Packers worked the Raiders for a 2022 2nd round pick instead of a 2023 1st round pick in the Adams should have made it very clear they want the picks this year over next year. 

2 minutes ago, R T said:

Along with the fact that the Packers worked the Raiders for a 2022 2nd round pick instead of a 2023 1st round pick in the Adams should have made it very clear they want the picks this year over next year. 

Generally speaking, picks this year are more valuable then picks next year.  It made more sense for the Packers to prefer 53 to their '23 FRP, and that's assuming they made the pick available.

29 minutes ago, Tperk said:

I get that, but everyone knows we need at least one WR with our first 4 picks. I would hate to have Wilson, Williams, London, Burks, Pickens, and Olave be gone at 22, so we grab an Edge or OT.

Then at 29 Dotson and Watson are gone(I want nothing to do with Dotson). So we are left hoping we can land Pierce, Bell, or Moore with a SRP. I wouldn't mind any of these 3 if we were able to land one of the top 6 WRs, but I dont think any of these 3 would be more than a #3/#4 WR for us.

There probably isn't a WR in this draft that is going to be more than a #3 in their rookie season with Rodgers as the trigger man. Cobb spoke recently about how his head was swimming as a rookie WR and not being in the right place at the right time for AR. He didn't blame AR for not trusting him, it is the growing pains for every rookie WR and even more so with AR. If any rookie comes in and catches 40 balls in the coming season in would be an amazing season for them. Cobb had 25 his rookie season, Nelson had 33, Adams had 38 for 446 yards and he was a starter and played 70% of the snaps on the season. If Watkins can stay healthy, he will be far more impactful than any rookie will be. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, R T said:

There probably isn't a WR in this draft that is going to be more than a #3 in their rookie season with Rodgers as the trigger man. Cobb spoke recently about how his head was swimming as a rookie WR and not being in the right place at the right time for AR. He didn't blame AR for not trusting him, it is the growing pains for every rookie WR and even more so with AR. If any rookie comes in and catches 40 balls in the coming season in would be an amazing season for them. Cobb had 25 his rookie season, Nelson had 33, Adams had 38 for 446 yards and he was a starter and played 70% of the snaps on the season. If Watkins can stay healthy, he will be far more impactful than any rookie will be. 

One also has to consider Rodgers isn't going to invest the time a younger QB might with a rookie WR working on timing and such. Heck, he's already said he's not attending voluntary workouts, so rookies pass catchers are going to be behind in GB. 

18 hours ago, Old Guy said:

One also has to consider Rodgers isn't going to invest the time a younger QB might with a rookie WR working on timing and such. Heck, he's already said he's not attending voluntary workouts, so rookies pass catchers are going to be behind in GB. 

Rodgers isn't going to invest time with a young WR?  With our WR situation we have presently AR doesn't have that luxury.  Both Cobb and Watkins haven't played a full 16 game season in years and the only other WR worth a darn is Lazard.  

On 4/16/2022 at 8:55 PM, OneTwoSixFive said:

Trade 53 and 92 for Seattle's pick 41.

The aim (for the Packers) is to get a quality WR before the best fits for GB (Pickens, Watson, Pierce) are gone. Having already added vet Sammy Watkins, they can now get a receiver that seems to  fit the Packers mold, while having used their two first rounders for high quality players elsewhere, like OT, DL, Edge, S, LB, whatever gives the best fit and value. A combo of any of OT Penning, DL Winfree, Edges Karlaftis or Mafe, Safeties Cine or Hill, or LB Devin Lloyd, are some of the possibilities.

Value is equal on the JJ chart and Seattle has two picks at 40/41, so they can get their favourite guy at 40 and still trade the next pick for pick 53 and extra round three pick - and the Seahawks need a lot of help on their team, so an extra pick is attractive for them.

If, for example, suppose they got OT Penning, DL Winfree, WR Pickens, Edge Cameron Thomas. That is a whole lot of positions that just got a big boost, more than in any more normal year.

Giving up a 3rd is significant (though as we all know the Packers haven't previously done well with their 3rds), but the upper part of round two is a very nice place for a pick.

Alternative strategy
They like a receiver in round one enough, that they take him if he drops to them, someone like Drake London, Jameson Williams or Chris Olave. Now the need to move up in round 2 is less, but it could still be a good strategy, because every pick used on QBs or WRs, pushes other good players down the board.

Teams will have various hypothetical trades discussed and 'if this happens' agreed with potential trade partners before the draft.

Depending on how the Packers value the receivers available then they probably have deals like this in the pipeline. If they don't get a receiver in the first round then they probably have to make sure they get their man in the second round (again depending on who their man is if indeed they have a man). 

If there is a WR they want in the first round then they have to go for it as there is a real danger if you don't then there's a run and you end up with none of the guys you want but you have to assume they have something like this as a contingency.

Edited by mikemike778

On 4/17/2022 at 2:16 AM, R T said:

The big difference though is these guys were drafting into much stronger wide receiving groups so we could afford to go slower with them. Its very different this season. If players stay healthy then Watkins/Cobb/Lazard is a weak but maybe passable group but its likely they wont be healthy. Receivers are going to have to be featured more even if it means simplifying things for them.

We need to be drafting polished receivers (for rookie standards) though. Its the raw projects from mid rounds that aren't going to be much use in the first year. 

17 hours ago, Pugger said:

Rodgers isn't going to invest time with a young WR?  With our WR situation we have presently AR doesn't have that luxury.  Both Cobb and Watkins haven't played a full 16 game season in years and the only other WR worth a darn is Lazard.  

But I'm sure you'll tell me in 6 months how the Packers betrayed Rodgers, how Rodgers was all in, and the Packers didn't do their part. 

On 4/16/2022 at 9:22 PM, Old Guy said:

17 hours ago, Pugger said:

I bolded the part you ignored. This is already playing out as Rodgers has said he's not attending voluntary OTA's. I'll bet he's not spending any down time with them throwing like a lot of other QB's do in the off season. 

So yeah, what I stated is absolutely true.