Aww, Mock It!

swede700

Feel free to post your mock drafts in here, if you want to post any before the draft on Thursday. 

Here's my annual one:

Round 1  - Edge Jermaine Johnson (Florida State)

jermainejohnson_2022_nfl_draft_seminoles

Virtually no one is picking Johnson to the Vikings, so of course, it makes complete sense for me to pick him, right?  I just have a feeling that both Stingley and Gardner will be gone, so Johnson will likely be the best edge rusher left on the board by the time the pick comes up and he will be the BPA at a position of need for the Vikings.

Round 2 - S Jaquan Brisker (Penn St)

REG-Z-JaquanBrisker-02.jpg

For me, this pick comes down to whomever is available in the 2nd round for the Vikings, Brisker or Jalen Pitre.  My preference is for Brisker, which is why I picked him here, but I'd be okay with Pitre as well.  

Round 3 - OG Cole Strange (Chattanooga)

1236331540.jpg

Strange has the mentality and versatility that the VIkings' offensive line needs.  He can play either guard or be a potential replacement/backup for Bradbury at center.  

Round 5 - CB Cor'Dale Flott (LSU)

EZY5nsuWsAA3FXl?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Daronte Jones gets to bring in his former player who played opposite of Stingley in the secondary.  While he's not the caliber of a prospect that Stingley is, he is a versatile DB and could play either outside or in the slot.  He is an active tackler, if not necessarily that great at it.  

Round 6 - TE Gerrit Prince (UAB)  

uab-2022-nfl-draft-scouting-reports-gerr

Developmental move TE who has the potential to compete to fill Conklin's shoes.

Round 6 - OT Vederian Lowe (Illinois)

aa.png

I view him as a developmental swing-tackle who could help potentially to replace Rashod Hill.

Round 6 - WR Romeo Doubs (Nevada)

Doubs_Romeo.jpeg

Developmental WR but could contribute immediately as a PR.  I saw sources that have projected him higher in the draft, but with his inconsistent catching ability, he may fall to later in the draft.  We'll just have to see.

Round 7 - LB Jack Sanborn (Wisconsin)

USATSI_16685281.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Sanborn has limited upside, but he can likely contribute right away as he has great instincts and will be able to rely on them to put himself in the right position to make plays.

In this version of the Drafttek mock, the first 11 picks were ...

1 Jacksonville Aidan Hutchinson EDGE

2 Detroit Kayvon Thibodeaux EDGE

3 Houston Travon Walker EDGE

4 NY Jets Garrett Wilson WR

5 NY Giants Evan Neal OT

6 Carolina Malik Willis QB

7 NY Giants Ahmad Gardner CB

8 Atlanta Kyle Hamilton S

9 Seattle Ikem Ekwonu OT

10 NY Jets Jermaine Johnson II EDGE

11 Washington Derek Stingley Jr. CB

Kevin O’Connell is going to bring his version of the Rams’ offense to Minnesota and is planning to tailor it to the current personnel. The Rams had over 84% of their offensive plays come from 11 personnel (3 WRs). The Vikings have Adam Thielen, Justin Jefferson, and KJ Osborn as their top 3 receivers. Thielen turns 32 in August and has cap hits of 19.9M in 2023 and 21.6M in 2024. Salary cap wise, it makes it tenuous that he is plays out his deal. One could feel fairly comfortable with the top 3 receivers and the possible upside of Smith-Marsette but if there is any injury the outlook is much more grim. Thus, to me, the best player is a receiver:

1.12 Jameson Williams WR Alabama

Height: 6’ 1 1/2”

Weight: 179

Arms: 32 1/8”

Hands: 9 1/4”

Wing: 75 7/8”

Jameson Williams had 79 catches for 1,572 yards and 15 touchdowns last year. Nine of Williams’ 15 touchdown catches were for 40 or more yards and no player in the FBS produced more than his nine receptions of at least 50 yards. Although he did not run at the combine due to his ACL injury, he has definite 4.3 speed and he often runs away from defenders on film.

Burn rate measures how often a receiver wins his matchup with a defender on a play where he is targeted. Williams did so on 74.6% of his targets in 2021. He comfortably led the way in burn yards per target (19.3) – nearly five full yards better than that of his nearest challenger, Cincinnati’s Alec Pierce (14.7).

In other words, none of the other receivers anticipated to be in the first-round conversation came close to generating as much separation as Williams, who was the class of this field when it came to defeating his defender’s coverage.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2022/4/22/23037658/vikings-mock-draft-v4-22

• Like 1

Used a mock draft simulator for the picks except for the trade. 

1.12 - Derek Stingley Jr. - CB LSU

2.12 - Tyler Linderbaum - C Iowa

TRADE: Vikings trade No. 77 and No. 156 to NYG for Kadarius Toney - WR and No. 184 overall 

184 - Sterling Weatherford - S Miami (OH)

191 - Lucas Krull - TE Pitt

192 - Amare Barno - EDGE Virginia tech

250 - Kellen Diesch - OT Arizona State

***made purely for fun and provocation***

Edited by wcblack34
  • Like 2

On 4/24/2022 at 8:26 AM, wcblack34 said:

Used a mock draft simulator for the picks except for the trade. 

1.12 - Derek Stingley Jr. - CB LSU

2.12 - Tyler Linderbaum - C Iowa

TRADE: Vikings trade No. 77 and No. 156 to NYG for Kadarius Toney - WR and No. 184 overall 

156 - Sterling Weatherford - S Miami (OH)

191 - Lucas Krull - TE Pitt

192 - Amare Barno - EDGE Virginia tech

250 - Kellen Diesch - OT Arizona State

***made purely for fun and provocation***

Weatherford @ 184?

Not a fan of the first 3 rounds. I think Johnson is getting over rated a little bit and hes too old of a prospect for Kwesi to take imo. I think CB/WR should have been more of a priority in this mock. I do think edge is a priority, but the only guys at 12 id take will all likely be gone. Otherwise there should be one that slips to the 2nd. 

I do like prioritizing C in the 3rd, as Bradbury needs competition. 

All in all, i think CB HAS to be a priority in the first 3 rounds for sure. 

9 hours ago, Eric dunn said:

All in all, i think CB HAS to be a priority in the first 3 rounds for sure. 

I personally disagree that it has to be a priority.  While they certainly need them, what I understand with this defensive scheme, it doesn't rely as heavily on CB play as it does the safeties.  For a lot of his tenure in Denver and Chicago, he was working with starters that were UDFAs (Callahan, Bouye).  He did have former 1st rounders in Amukamara and Fuller as well, but it's not required.  So, for me personally, if Stingley and Sauce are gone, I go elsewhere and at least with most of the drafts I did, there wasn't any good value at CBs until much later...and most of the CBs that would have been good value were at around the 4th round...which, of course, the Vikings don't have a pick in.  

Peter King's mock draft:

12. Minnesota Vikings: Derek Stingley, cornerback, LSU 

There are good fits, and there is Stingley in Minnesota, where he’d be coached by his old defensive coordinator at LSU, secondary coach Daronte Jones, and he’d be mentored by former Tiger corner Patrick Peterson. This is a dream scenario for the Vikings. Stingley’s career fell off a cliff after a strong 2019 season, the same way the LSU program fell off a cliff in the last two years of Ed Orgeron. In ’19, Stingley battled in practice with J’Marr Chase and played high-level in games; some scouts thought he was the best corner in the country as a true freshman. Fate smiles on rookie Vikings GM Kwesi Adofo-Mensah on his first NFL draft choice—if indeed he can pick Stingley. “I think he was the best NFL prospect in the country as a freshman,” one GM told me, “and his workout this spring showed a lot of Darrelle Revis to me.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/04/25/nfl-mock-draft-fmia-peter-king-2022/