Ward officially a bust?

Humble_Beast

9 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Well, Lathum has been waived to make room for Crabtree coming off suspension so Ward survives for now.

Also there was a Calhoun sighting yesterday. Had 13 D snaps and a QB hit.

A little surprised that Latham was waived, showed some nice ability last year and to be frank, looked the best of all our rookie DL players. I guess the suspension must have played a huge part aswell as draft pedigree. He should still be eligible for the practice squad though shouldn't he?

On 12/5/2017 at 1:27 AM, Darbsk said:

A little surprised that Latham was waived, showed some nice ability last year and to be frank, looked the best of all our rookie DL players. I guess the suspension must have played a huge part aswell as draft pedigree. He should still be eligible for the practice squad though shouldn't he?

Yup they put him on it today. And waived the WR they signed last week.

On 12/5/2017 at 12:27 AM, Darbsk said:

this.. I actually thought Latham could develop into a factor,  a little bit of a letdown. o well, not a huge one

I do find it a little bit disconcerting that over the last couple of seasons we've had a number of young, raw guys come in and show a little potential but we haven't as yet developed a genuine DL stud. At some point all that potential has to actually turn into talent on a week in, week out basis.

Guys like Latham, Ward, Autry, Hester, Vanderdoes, Cowser, Stacy Mcgee, Shelby Harris and so on have shown flashes but never really amounted to a full time starter. Now, obviously it's still too early for Hester and Vanderdoes but of all these picks and UDFA's we've had over the last few years only Mario Edwards had been a bonafide starter and he's not really playing at a Pro Bowl level. I want to be clear that I'm not calling all these guys busts, and the rookies are still adjusting obviously, it's just that they appear to be decent rotational guys at best and I'd have hoped by now that one at least would have developed into a stud DL that would have made a huge impact for us.

I'm inclined to think that we're scouting guys with athletic potential who are raw, knowing full well that they need work on their technique and game awareness but there must be a disconnect somewhere between the scouting and the coaching............. as they subsequently don't develop as hoped?

4 hours ago, Rolni said:

I think this is a valid argument Darbsk...we might need a new DL coach even if JDR and Pagano stays in place...hopefully Pagano can make some adjustments in his staff if he gets the DC job for 2018.

That begs the question who assembled the the defensive staff? JDR or KNJ? Heck the same could be said of the offense, because these are the same coaches from a year ago. Personally I think the Raiders need to dump the  WR coach due to the fact the WR's can't catch.

19 minutes ago, Chali21 said:
4 hours ago, Rolni said:

I think this is a valid argument Darbsk...we might need a new DL coach even if JDR and Pagano stays in place...hopefully Pagano can make some adjustments in his staff if he gets the DC job for 2018.

That begs the question who assembled the the defensive staff? JDR or KNJ? Heck the same could be said of the offense, because these are the same coaches from a year ago. Personally I think the Raiders need to dump the  WR coach due to the fact the WR's can't catch.

There's definitely a disconnect somewhere, it may well be inferior coaching but it could also be that our coaches (same as most coaches) believe they can take any old H/W/S project and simply coach 'em up. Usually when a player has deficiencies in their game or rawness they can be coached up to a certain degree but maybe we're overconfident and that the players we're trying to develop simply can only develop so far. We always seem to be drafting raw players on the DL, could be just that in the rounds we're drafting we feel we can get better value that way rather than going for more polished players, ultimately it's not making great defensive linemen however.

14 hours ago, Darbsk said:

There's definitely a disconnect somewhere, it may well be inferior coaching but it could also be that our coaches (same as most coaches) believe they can take any old H/W/S project and simply coach 'em up. Usually when a player has deficiencies in their game or rawness they can be coached up to a certain degree but maybe we're overconfident and that the players we're trying to develop simply can only develop so far. We always seem to be drafting raw players on the DL, could be just that in the rounds we're drafting we feel we can get better value that way rather than going for more polished players, ultimately it's not making great defensive linemen however.

I agree with the jest of what you're saying but don't think it applies to Mack, Mario or Eddie and that is more than half of the Dlinemen we have taken in the top half of the draft.

4 hours ago, OakRaiders3828 said:

Idk why people do this to themselves 

you could do it for every team, every round in every draft 

Just sucks when you spend time reading on draft prospects and come draft day, players you like are on the board. Especially sucks when your teams drafts a bum over that player in a position of need...  I know, we are just fans..  this year I been working ft and going to grad school and haven’t followed college..might pass on read draft prospect profiles and mocks, I been getting annoyed at Reggie’s draft decisions 

Archived