Official 1st ROUND NFL DRAFT: Washington Commanders selection party & Rumors, Trades, etc.

So, yeah, I wandered back. As a result, you get a YAWP (Yuge *** Woz Post). Kind of covers my thoughts for the past two-three months.

I had middling expectations for this off-season. I knew that the now-rechristened Commanders (a meh name revealed in the most shambolically-Snyder way) needed to solve their QB woes long term, but that the draft didn't look to feature any real hope (picking 11th didn't help either).

However, for he first time in forever (ever?), there were multiple top name (based solely on talent) QBs that could potentially be had for draft picks if you wanted to trade for them:

• Aaron Rodgers
  • Russell Wilson
  • Deshaun Watson

I threw out Watson immediately. There's no way this team, just recovering from rampant allegations of sexual harassment and trying to turn a new page with a new name, could afford to take him. While I respect his abilities, I was also a little more negative on targeting Rodgers due to his age (figure you would only likely get him for a year or two) as well as the heightened diva-ness on display with his refusal to get vaccinated and then "obfuscate" about it (he really did learn everything from Favre!).

No, if I was going to dream, it was going to be for Russell Wilson. However, I am a Redskins ... Football Team ... Commanders fan held hostage by a one Daniel Snyder who is King PoopMidas (everything he touches turns to 💩) so I knew that it wasn't going to happen. Besides, it would be very unlikely Seattle would want to deal Wilson in conference. So, while I held out a little hope, I didn't really think much of it.

Lo and behold, Rodgers stays put (a bit surprising, and I bet he's wishing he didn't after they dealt Davante Adams and then haven't yet really found a replacement for him ... no, Sammy Watkins is not a replacement) and Wilson is dealt to the Broncos for a lot but perhaps not as much as I would have thought.

So, the Commanders look around and realize that the Colts (read: Jim Irsay ... the man who kisses the ground (or at least should) for ole Danny Boy for making sure he isn't the reigning Worst Owner in the NFL) have decided that Carson Wentz is dead to them. So, Ron Rivera and the Poodles (Martin Mayhew and Marty Hurney ... they don't do anything but bark when Rivera tells them to) decide to go pick up Wentz.

@Thaiphoon, @naptownskinsfan, I suppose that was discussed for a minute or two? /s

My take: if they knew then what they know now, Wentz wouldn't be in Washington. I suspect they would have either gone for Matt Ryan or Baker Mayfield instead. We can argue whether those would be better long term picks (Ryan is 37, Mayfield is Mayfield for good and ill), but the Commanders were the first domino that spurred the movement of those guys. Of course, that means they paid the highest price (well, beyond Cleveland and what the hell were they thinking with both the trade and the contract?!) with the least information.

Oh well. They got a QB. Yay ...

Of course, they blew apart the massive amount of cap space that they had to fit him in there, leading to them to need to scramble. They kept guys like Troy Apke (SUPER GUNNER!) but let Settle walk and cut guys like Ioannidis, Flowers, and Everett to make cap space.

One step forward, two steps back.

Then there was something about tickets and revenue hiding. Did you guys hear anything about that? /s

All in all, I approached Football Christmas(tm) with lowered expectations, but a bit of hope. I had of course fallen in love with some players:

• Ahmad Gardner (Derek Stingley scared me with all of the medical issues)
  • Kyle Hamilton
  • Garrett Wilson
  • Dark Horse candidate: Jordan Davis (I hadn't seen the comments about Payne not getting his option until today ... had I seen that, I would have promoted this to full candidate status)
  • Trade down target candidate: Devin Lloyd

Watching the mocks and the news, I felt like Gardner was slipping away (he was), that the Jets would take Wilson right in front of us (they did), but that Hamilton and Davis would be available to us (they were). I didn't have much hope for trade up since I didn't think there was someone who trade up, but if my top three picks were gone, maybe a trade with New Orleans or LA Chargers would be cool, especially if we could recoup a third. I had made peace with what was likely going to happen: they would take a WR. I feared it would be Drake London (he feels like Josh Doctson 2.0 ... big guy "who catches everything" but cannot get any separation), and would have been resigned to taking Chris Olave (I don't know why, he just doesn't excite me).

Still, draft comes. Time to open our presents! Feelings as the draft went down in rapid succession

• Pre-draft, I see reports that the Giants are declining the 5th year option on Daniel Jones. That stinks as I had hoped they would stick with the millstone was Jones. But ... maybe that means they would do something stupid like draft Willis? Mood:
    giphy.gif

• Schadenfreude at Jacksonville due to Trent Baalke (who should also being kissing the ground for Bruce Allen; otherwise, he is the worst GM of the past decade). Mood:
    giphy.gif

• Win a free lunch from a coworker when I made them a bet that the Lions would take Hutchinson at 2 if he was available (he bit into the "Thibodeaux to the Lions" smokescreen). Mood:
    giphy.gif

• Texans take Stingley at 3 (same coworker filled me on that rumor, which I agreed could happen due to SEC bias for Houston). Mood:
    giphy.gif

• Jets take Gardner ... damn. Not only does that take one of my targets off the table it also sets up ...
  • Giants take Thibodeaux. Crap. While I wasn't interested in them taking any of the edge rushers, I didn't want to see our rivals take him. Mood:
    7hN8.gif

• Panthers take Ekwoku. Huh, they're serious about rolling with Darnold? Or are they just waiting on the 2nd round guys like Ridder? Okay ... Mood:
    000.gif
  • Giants take Neal. Double crap. A position of need filled for them with top talent. Also no wasting of a pick on Willis. Mood:
    sad-mild.gif

• Falcons take a WR not named Wilson? Yay! Falcons take Drake London?! YAY!! Mood:
    giphy.gif|

• Seahawks take Cross. Means either Wilson or Hamilton will be there. Mood:
    giphy.gif
  • Jets take Wilson. Well, makes the decision process easier.
  • Washington takes ...
    diandra-lyle-record-scratch.gif

• wait wait wait ...
    frank-castle-wait.gif

• you had the best player available ...
    ok-okay.gif

• a position of need ...
    fist.gif

• ... and you trade out?
    giphy.gif

• ... for that little?
    thats-it-what.gif

• Okay ... well ... wait ... Minnesota traded out ... with Detroit??? You're going to allow them to solve their QB problem???
    giphy.gif

• ... Detroit took Jameson Williams instead?!
    giphy.gif

• And Philadelhia just traded up to take Davis to prevent him from going to Baltimore which means ...
    giphy.gif

• Baltimore is going to take Hamilton ...
    damn-it.gif

• Well, there's at least Devin Lloyd, or maybe Treylon Burks and look the Texans took Kenyon Green so ...
    alonzo-mourning.gif

• Jahan Dotson?
    1R5e.gif

• and the Eagles just traded for AJ Brown ... which was facilitated by Washington taking Dotson allowing the Titans to draft Treylon Burks (whose comp is AJ Brown)
    giphy.gif

And the rest of the night is ruined. Yes there was the brief joy of the Cowboys taking that Tulsa kid over much better players, but watching other teams take advantage of the cheap price to move back into the first round to get players like Jermaine Johnson (didn't want him but the value was great) or Devon Lloyd (!! why you got hurt me like that??) just made that much worse.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

He and Pitre are very similar to everything in this report. I’m really hoping for either. I’m just happy we have capital to move and I expect Payne to be moved today to do even more tonight.

Yeap make no sense keeping him if you will not extend him. 

1 minute ago, 4209 said:

Yeap make no sense keeping him if you will not extend him. 

Which means they aren't trading him, but will instead let him walk (but "try to keep him" once they see what the market holds for him) only to sign other players to kill any compensatory pick they might get for him.

You know, the standard operating procedure around these parts for awhile now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Woz said:

Which means they aren't trading him, but will instead let him walk (but "try to keep him" once they see what the market holds for him) only to sign other players to kill any compensatory pick they might get for him.

You know, the standard operating procedure around these parts for awhile now.

Nah....they decided free agency doesn't fix the team either Woz. We won't be signing anyone unless Ron the Don coached them before 

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

Nah....they decided free agency doesn't fix the team either Woz. We won't be signing anyone unless Ron the Don coached them before 

They'll pay top dollar for that player though, inexplicably. As a wise person said

On 4/26/2022 at 8:40 PM, lavar703 said:

Don’t you worry, Star Lotuleilei will replace him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Seems like they wanted a guy with sure hands who could move the chains on 3rd down so we don’t have to throw it to terry in that spot everytime.  Dotson will obviously be compared to Olave and Burks his whole career.  I’m actually more upset that we took Dotson over Burks than passing on Olave.  I liked the trade down.

How does a guy fit into what you want as a player as a wr. Having good hands was a factor. Having played against good competition was proably another. But Olave and Burks played against good competition also. So maybe Dotson had the edge with deep threat and the fact that he return punts so he has some versabilty. I am sure all played in their decision. Who knows but they like him for a reason simply put he best fit with what they Ron likes in a wr and fits their scheme. I still liked Williams but I am not Ron. 

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Wait until next season when we trade for McCaffrey lol

Ooo and Sam Darnold too! Yeah, I know he wasn't coached by Rivera but the Panthers traded for him so he must be good, right??

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 4209 said:

How does a guy fit into what you want as a player as a wr. Having good hands was a factor. Having played against good competition was proably another. But Olave and Burks played against good competition also. So maybe Dotson had the edge with deep threat and the fact that he return punts so he has some versabilty. I am sure all played in their decision. Who knows but they like him for a reason simply put he best fit with what they Ron likes in a wr and fits their scheme. I still liked Williams but I am not Ron. 

If you're in the third or fourth round and you have two receivers that you're trying to decide between and one of them returned punts, then that's a useful time to use that as a deciding factor.

In the first round? Not so much.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 4209 said:

https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1dRKZlelBAbJB

So mayhew is saying when we decided to make our pick (Dotson) three teams were calling. I wonder if those teams were calling about Dotson. JUST MAYBE!!!!! who knows but we had a chance to collect even more picks at 16. One thing for sure they loved Dotson.

Yes, they were getting calls to trade back into the 20's & 30's they said.

Had we done so, we would have lost out on Dotson & obviously Burks I believe. Washington did the right thing and got the guy they wanted.

Otherwise, we would have been drafting Fernando Venuzuela from Appalachian ST in the 6th Rd to fill our WR needs. (Made up name-lol)

Did we get Dotson a little early? Yes

Did we have too, if we wanted 1 of the 6 top WR's in the draft? Yes