Official 1st ROUND NFL DRAFT: Washington Commanders selection party & Rumors, Trades, etc.

7 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Depending on the offer from 16, dropping to 30s wouldn't have been a terrible thing.

The 20's puts us in perfect position for Lloyd, Hill, Cine, Dean or Booth.

Clearly they didn't have very much confidence in the WRs after Dotson/Burks.

Taking Dotson over Burks probably helped Tennessee feel more comfortable dealing AJ Brown to Philly when they could draft the guy who people were comping Brown to.

So, trade back to get a 3rd (effectively a 4th since it is a compensatory pick), skip out on much better players at 11 (Hamilton, Olave, and Davis), and then overdraft a gadget/slot receiver instead of trading back again because "oh noes we might miss out on our gadget/slot guy?!"

Yeah, Rivera's probably setting himself to get fired after next season.

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yup. That's what I was referring to when I reference the "unless" part. It's kinda crazy how many wanted to move down.

The main value in this draft is in the 20-100 range. There's not a lot of separation at those levels, but there's good value in there.

Giving up the 3rd for Wentz made them realize this and try to recoup some value.

• Like 1

Seems like they wanted a guy with sure hands who could move the chains on 3rd down so we don’t have to throw it to terry in that spot everytime.  Dotson will obviously be compared to Olave and Burks his whole career.  I’m actually more upset that we took Dotson over Burks than passing on Olave.  I liked the trade down.

• Like 1

For the number of people that wanted WR in round 1 (I wasnt one of them) I'm surprised at how upset a bunch of people are. 

Honestly I don't think there was a lot of separation between the top WRs. I did think, if healthy, Jameson Williams was the best of the bunch. That being said, I was disappointed that Hamilton wasnt the selection but I think the 3rd and 4th round picks that we accumulated should pay dividends for us. 

If they go QB at their pick in the 2nd, I'll probably be calling for the staffs heads like others, but for the place they drafted and the position they clearly wanted to go, I think we ended up in a pretty decent spot. 

I also wasnt as high on Burks as some were. Had a 2nd round grade on him and Dotson.

14 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Seems like they wanted a guy with sure hands who could move the chains on 3rd down so we don’t have to throw it to terry in that spot everytime.  Dotson will obviously be compared to Olave and Burks his whole career.  I’m actually more upset that we took Dotson over Burks than passing on Olave.  I liked the trade down.

Concur with frustration over Dotson over Burks vs passing on Olave.

If Hamilton had been off the board, I would have been happier with the trade down.

7 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

If they go QB at their pick in the 2nd, I'll probably be calling for the staffs heads like others, but for the place they drafted and the position they clearly wanted to go, I think we ended up in a pretty decent spot. 

I also wasnt as high on Burks as some were. Had a 2nd round grade on him and Dotson.

I will also say that I wasn't thrilled with Burks, but I would have preferred him over Dotson every day of the week.

Once the draft lined up the way it did, my personal selection board was: Hamilton, Davis, WR if you really love them, trade down.

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

I will also say that I wasn't thrilled with Burks, but I would have preferred him over Dotson every day of the week.

Once the draft lined up the way it did, my personal selection board was: Hamilton, Davis, WR if you really love them, trade down.

For me at 11 it was take the value pick with Hamilton or trade down.  If they had just selected Dotson/Olave/Williams at 11, I would have been more upset than I am now. (Williams less so, but we already have one injured WR)

What people arent seeing is that we are getting 3 players compared to the 1 we were slated to get. After those selections are made at the end of the 3rd, we will have to rehash about everyones feelings on who/where they should have gone. For now though, their top positional target was WR and they got that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

For me at 11 it was take the value pick with Hamilton or trade down.  If they had just selected Dotson/Olave/Williams at 11, I would have been more upset than I am now. (Williams less so, but we already have one injured WR)

What people arent seeing is that we are getting 3 players compared to the 1 we were slated to get. After those selections are made at the end of the 3rd, we will have to rehash about everyones feelings on who/where they should have gone. For now though, their top positional target was WR and they got that. 

Ya we have a lot of needs not just 1.

wsh.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

47. Washington Commanders (via IND)

Tariq Woolen, CB, UTSA | Highlights

We have a third-round grade on Woolen, but I'm a little higher on him. He has the tools to push for a starting job early in his career, and cornerback is a top-three need for the Commanders. 

ESPN+ has a 2nd round mock out this morning, they have us taking this guy. 

redskinsb_logo.gif Washington Redskins: Jaquan Brisker, S, Penn State PennState_logo.gif
The Redskins could have used the No. 11 pick on Kyle Hamilton. They'll need to find another new safety at this spot.

Jaquan Brisker is an instinctive safety with good speed.

Walterfootball's pick for us. 

• Like 1

re: Brisker.

“He’s so versatile,” Mark Wogenrich, the Publisher of All Penn State, said. “Brent Pry, Penn State’s former defensive coordinator and now the head coach at Virginia Tech, said Brisker could play any secondary position and, with a year to prepare, even drop down to outside linebacker. As Pry said, ‘He’s got corner feet and hips and speed, but he’s also got a safety body.’ Penn State considered working Brisker into the return game but ultimately didn’t because he played so many defensive reps.”

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

wsh.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

47. Washington Commanders (via IND)

Tariq Woolen, CB, UTSA | Highlights

We have a third-round grade on Woolen, but I'm a little higher on him. He has the tools to push for a starting job early in his career, and cornerback is a top-three need for the Commanders. 

ESPN+ has a 2nd round mock out this morning, they have us taking this guy. 

redskinsb_logo.gif Washington Redskins: Jaquan Brisker, S, Penn State PennState_logo.gif
The Redskins could have used the No. 11 pick on Kyle Hamilton. They'll need to find another new safety at this spot.

Jaquan Brisker is an instinctive safety with good speed.

Walterfootball's pick for us. 

I love Woolen. Back in the day watching Sherman his one year at CB at Stanford that’s who he reminds me of. He is a physical tackler with attitude and he has elite recovery speed which even though Sherman didn’t have the timed speed he’d bait QB’s and with his size in trail technique it allowed him to play WR because he was just as big as the guys he was covering. I like Brisker but I want Pitre over everyone. I’d be happy with Brisker though.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Agreed. While I liked the other players more than Dotson and generally agree with @lavar703 that Ron is in over his head and likes to overdraft players, I think we can't completely judge this trade down until we see what happens with those picks and how they pan out.

And also, how Dotson pans out. I know that I wasn't expecting Terry to be much of a WR and he has surprised me. Hoping it's the same with Dotson.

I concur. Like I said earlier he is a good player but would have liked one of those wr that teams were trading up for and **** you said lets see what they do with those extra pick.