Round 2: Let's Talk Bears Prospects and Draft Approach

G08

2 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

What else is he going to say? "I didn't like the picks or the position value but chose them anyway".

He was surprised the DBs were there… every GM ever is surprised they got the guys there.

Ryan Pace was alway shocked the guys they took were there.

Poles chose to address the secondary over the OL. He is the GM and that is his prerogative.

If the OL is bad I think they he should shoulder a bunch of the blame for that. There have been chances to do more on the OL and he has chosen not to. We had the money and picks to do more.

As long as we are on the same page about that, I will shut up for awhile.

Edited by WindyCity
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

He was surprised the DBs were there… every GM ever is surprised they got the guys there.

Ryan Pace was alway shocked the guys they took were there.

I'm afraid Poles has let Flus get "his guys" for his tampa-2 defense just like JA did with Lovie. The big differences are..... Flus isn't Lovie, and Lovie didn't have a QB like fields hanging in the balance.

13 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I didn’t see that part of the presser.

I think there is a hard ceiling on guys you’re signing in free agency now. Would have been nice to add someone  with ceiling to the group.

I think we have under invested in the OL. You can think differently, but I don’t think that I rooted in an objective opinion of the group.

The immediate concern on the OL is competent play, most notably at G because we only have 1 starting caliber player there. Competent play is still out there. Depth grade guys are out there too. Long term guys would be better, sure, and that’s the want, but the need is capable play. 

I have never once said that we haven’t under invested in the OL to this point. I just have more faith in what’s still out there than you do to give us capable reps in 2022. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

The immediate concern on the OL is competent play, most notably at G because we only have 1 starting caliber player there. Competent play is still out there. Depth grade guys are out there too. Long term guys would be better, sure, and that’s the want, but the need is capable play. 

I have never once said that we haven’t under invested in the OL to this point. I just have more faith in what’s still out there than you do to give us capable reps in 2022. 

Why does capable have to be the bar? Why can’t we want and pursue more?

Why couldn’t we be capable in the secondary instead of the OL?

Edited by WindyCity
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Poles chose to address the secondary over the OL. He is the GM and that is his prerogative.

If the OL is bad I think they he should shoulder a bunch of the blame for that. There have been chances to do more on the OL and he has chosen not to. We had the money and picks to do more.

As long as we are on the same page about that, I will shut up for awhile.

Of course he shoulders the blame if it goes bad. He’s the GM. Who else gets the blame if we field a talent poor roster come September?

7 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Of course he shoulders the blame if it goes bad. He’s the GM. Who else gets the blame if we field a talent poor roster come September?

There will be people on this board that will make every excuse available to not blame Poles if the OL is bad. 

My prediction is they will blame Pace.

But we are on the same page. More could have been done this offseason to address the OL. Poles chose not to. It will make mid season easier that we are on the same page.

Edited by WindyCity

Bears OL isn't that bad. It's only unproven. Whitehair is better than most you guys give him credit for. Patrick isn't a bad option at C. Even if it's only for a year.  We have to give our former 2nd round pick (who was considered a 1st rd talent) a chance to prove he can be a mainstay and stay healthy. And then we have Borom (who was moved around like every other OL during the Nagy era). I think he played well enough for a rookie to earn a chance for the starter position.

The only real missing link is G. Either position since Whitehair can fill in anywhere. And I think there are still some decent options out there in FA to fill that void.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Bears OL isn't that bad. It's only unproven. Whitehair is better than most you guys give him credit for. Patrick isn't a bad option at C. Even if it's only for a year.  We have to give our former 2nd round pick (who was considered a 1st rd talent) a chance to prove he can be a mainstay and stay healthy. And then we have Borom (who was moved around like every other OL during the Nagy era). I think he played well enough for a rookie to earn a chance for the starter position.

The only real missing link is G. Either position since Whitehair can fill in anywhere. And I think there are still some decent options out there in FA to fill that void.

7-8 OLmen will play this season and we have 4.

The issue is not just RG it is the next guy in at IOL and OT.

4 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

OL we lack depth.  WR is a far bigger concern than OL.

How? 

We don’t even have a starter at RG. WR we have our starters and 2 backups who have played okay football.

Edited by WindyCity

1 minute ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Depth sure. But every team has depth issues at OL.

There is a difference between depth issues and having to start Dakota Dozier.

I don’t expect our depth to be stars, but DoZier and Davenport are comically bad.

Just now, WindyCity said:

How? 

We don’t even have a starter at RG. WR we have our starters and 2 backups who have played play football.

We have one legit starter at WR. In the modern era you need 3. We have guys filling the #2 and #3 position who would have a hard time making the cut for #3 and #4.

RG is much easier to find and even easier when you surround him with a good center and good tackle. The OL is the most important team oriented position in the league. For better or worse.