Round 2: Let's Talk Bears Prospects and Draft Approach

G08

Just now, GOGRIESE said:

He also did very well at the Senior Bowl practices and portions of the game. 

I just think people need to be realistic about what he is and why they wanted him, and not expect him to be something he’s not and won’t be. He doesn’t need to be a superstar or even a complete receiver to be a useful piece. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

There are things he can do.

Like I’ve said a few times the past few weeks they’re seemingly going for a KC/GB setup with their clear cut #1 in Mooney and then a bunch of role guys for the rest of the WRs. Jones definitely fits that. I don’t care about the age thing at all. He’s 25, not 40. It’ll be 6 years before he’s an “old” player. 

What Jones does well is what KC does with Hardman (jet action, WR screens, drags, slants & go routes, KR). He’s a YAC guy. He’s not a complete player by any means but there’s a place for his skill set for sure. I don’t love the value at 71 by any means, but I like the skill set a lot. 4.31 speed plays. You can’t coach that, and we didn’t have that.

As much as I don't like the pick I think these are all very valid points...if Getsy wants to steal elements of the 49ers offence then this could be the guy to do some of that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GOGRIESE said:

He also did very well at the Senior Bowl practices and portions of the game. 

I actually don’t like hearing that. Only time I like focusing on Sr Bowl guys is when you are nearly a complete team who just needs a couple plug and play guys.

Because they are always old, and usually maxed out on potential. 

So just about directly opposite of what we should be picking up 

5 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

What Jones does well is what KC does with Hardman (jet action, WR screens, drags, slants & go routes, KR). He’s a YAC guy. He’s not a complete player by any means but there’s a place for his skill set for sure. I don’t love the value at 71 by any means, but I like the skill set a lot. 4.31 speed plays. You can’t coach that, and we didn’t have that.

Plus, a player like Fields needs at least one guy like that. You make a good point. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I just think people need to be realistic about what he is and why they wanted him, and not expect him to be something he’s not and won’t be. He doesn’t need to be a superstar or even a complete receiver to be a useful piece. 

That’s fine, and we can get to that conversation, but he could have been that in the 5th round. Or at least in a deep trade back.

A Top 75 pick should be a guy you expect to be a starter in his 3rd & 4th years. Someone you are considering giving an extension to. That’s hard to see when those potential extension years he will be 30-31-32

Just now, JAF-N72EX said:

10aa9ce28386b17e0dbf980b1303e181.gif

From who? Jones himself?

He will take pressure off Fields, you will eventually like the pick...

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

That’s fine, and we can get to that conversation, but he could have been that in the 5th round. Or at least in a deep trade back.

A Top 75 pick should be a guy you expect to be a starter in his 3rd & 4th years. Someone you are considering giving an extension to. That’s hard to see when those potential extension years he will be 30-31-32

I think WR extensions are a thing of the past....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

In this draft there is no way anyone can say where guys should go...I reckon there are going to be some guys who were projected as high as the 3rd or 4th round who will go undrafted.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

As much as I don't like the pick I think these are all very valid points...if Getsy wants to steal elements of the 49ers offence then this could be the guy to do some of that.

Right. Does he add an element to our offense that we didn’t have? Probably.

My issue isn’t with the player at all - it’s the value at which we got him. Jones or Bo Melton are guys I tagged for a role like what I described - I just expected them to take it in like round 5. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I actually don’t like hearing that. Only time I like focusing on Sr Bowl guys is when you are nearly a complete team who just needs a couple plug and play guys.

Because they are always old, and usually maxed out on potential. 

So just about directly opposite of what we should be picking up 

Such a luxury to be able to limit your draft board by eliminating a good chunk of players for a talent needy team. Must be nice. 

1 minute ago, GOGRIESE said:

Such a luxury to be able to limit your draft board by eliminating a good chunk of players for a talent needy team. Must be nice. 

I didn’t say not to take them. But when one of the best things you can say is “he did well at the Senior Bowl”, that should give you pause