Round 2 Pick 34; Christian Watson, WR, NDSU

Packerraymond

Just now, Pugger said:

Nobody is gonna give AR a pass in that game but seeing the football is the ultimate in team sports everybody has to play well, especially in the playoffs.

Everyone isn't going to play well. That's football. If you asked me before that game if Josiah Deguara or Dennis Kelly were going to struggle, I'd have said yes. They struggled in games we won comfortably. Aaron Rodgers gets paid not to struggle at remedial tasks like throwing to the player Matt LaFleur has designed a successful play to go to.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Everyone isn't going to play well. That's football. If you asked me before that game if Josiah Deguara or Dennis Kelly were going to struggle, I'd have said yes. They struggled in games we won comfortably. Aaron Rodgers gets paid not to struggle at remedial tasks like throwing to the player Matt LaFleur has designed a successful play to go to.

I should have said every unit.  My bad.

10 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Nobody is gonna give AR a pass in that game but seeing the football is the ultimate in team sports everybody has to play well, especially in the playoffs.

Are you on drugs, read this thread? Plenty of people want to give him a pass. 

30 minutes ago, Leader said:

It's an amazingly simple equation being blown up to include everybody and his mother.

If AR hits Lazard - we're gonna win that game. LA is coming to GB.

He SHOULD have thrown it to Lazard - the guy's been playing long enough he should have seen that route / player. He didnt. He was focused in on one thing and one thing only - so we lost.

That's it. In a nutshell.
Hit Lazard and win.....or.....throw into double coverage and lose.

If he hits Lazard, we maybe win the game. A lot of game left after that play. 

Moreover, why people keep focusing on that one play blows my mind. It was one play where SF blew a coverage. How about the other 35+ mins our offense struggled? Hell, the Big Dog fumble was a bigger play than the missed pass to Lazard. The game should never have been remotely close in the 4th. 

It was another choke job from the top-down. Started with the stupid OL lineup they went with and ended with poor play on the field. MLF still needs to prove to me he can win a big playoff game where the talent is overwhelmingly in our favor at the coin toss. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Completely unrelated but we are in the Watson thread after all. I don't agree with the capital used in a draft like this to get a project player during a win-now push...but the kid is damn likeable. I'm rooting for him.

Well, think of the trade this way. Suppose Gutekunst has Christian Watson down as being worth AT LEAST the 28th pick. Then the trade is not one-sided at all, it is at least fair value, which becomes even better value the higher above pick 28 Gute valued Watson. If you want to directly compare the value of picks given up to those received ok, but that fails to account for where the team valued that player.................... and that is the key part of the trade.

The Packers tried to trade up with Minnesota at pick 32, but couldn't. Then they did the deal for pick 34. We know Gute valued Watson highly, we just don't know exactly how high. Of course you could argue instead that Gute reached for Watson, desperate to get a WR, but this trade didn't have that feel to it and you can't prove things either way.

It might be true that Gute wanted Devontae Wyatt at 22 but decided in the end to go with Walker. When Wyatt was still there at pick 28, he abandoned his original plan to get Watson, took Wyatt and then worked out a way to still get Watson right at the start of the next day.

To me, this is almost a carbon copy of when Ted traded three 3rd rounders to move back into round 1 for Clay Matthews. He also appeared to overpay, but since he valued Matthews many slots higher than where they actually got him, Ted saw it as still being good value.

My final point is that with his gifts Watson was only available at pick 34 because he played for a lower level college program on a very successful run-first team. If he had played at Alabama, for example, he should have been long gone at pick 34. I can't prove that of course, but I believe it.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

today I learned football games can be boiled down to a single play in the 4th quarter. crazy stuff...

hopefully this kid puts it all together while Aaron is still out there throwing footballs to him because there's a great unknown coming in a few years time. We're all more than likely to be on the QB carousel that sticks teams directly in purgatory until they land their next one.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I don't recall anyone saying Rodgers played well in that game.  

Exactly. He was just ordinary. He's at the point of his career where he can't overcome poor OL and receiver (TE specific) play. It is what it is. Although it's too bad Gute didn't give him better depth at TE and WR. When Rodgers has one true capable TE and one WR that can take the top off the defense, and those players are out, it handicaps the offense. The Packers paid the price for this against the 9ers. 

For the hyper negativity and blame Rodgers is receiving for this play, like I said, it's just silly. Factoring in the unprecedented breakdown of all facets of special teams play (LM: "What a nightmare. What a meltdown"), horrific across the board TE play (receiving and blocking) and awful OL play. The hate for this one play by Rodgers is beyond senseless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laces Out said:

today I learned football games can be boiled down to a single play in the 4th quarter. crazy stuff...

hopefully this kid puts it all together while Aaron is still out there throwing footballs to him because there's a great unknown coming in a few years time. We're all more than likely to be on the QB carousel that sticks teams directly in purgatory until they land their next one.

Today I learned that a QB playing like **** for 4 quarters can be excused because . . . he misread the defense on one part in the 4th quarter. Crazy stuff.

Are we not on the QB Carousel? It's been a decade and our QB keeps sinking our playoff chances. 

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Well, think of the trade this way. Suppose Gutekunst has Christian Watson down as being worth AT LEAST the 28th pick. Then the trade is not one-sided at all, it is at least fair value, which becomes even better value the higher above pick 28 Gute valued Watson. If you want to directly compare the value of picks given up to those received ok, but that fails to account for where the team valued that player.................... and that is the key part of the trade.

The Packers tried to trade up with Minnesota at pick 32, but couldn't. Then they did the deal for pick 34. We know Gute valued Watson highly, we just don't know exactly how high. Of course you could argue instead that Gute reached for Watson, desperate to get a WR, but this trade didn't have that feel to it and you can't prove things either way.

It might be true that Gute wanted Devontae Wyatt at 22 but decided in the end to go with Walker. When Wyatt was still there at pick 28, he abandoned his original plan to get Watson, took Wyatt and then worked out a way to still get Watson right at the start of the next day.

To me, this is almost a carbon copy of when Ted traded three 3rd rounders to move back into round 1 for Clay Matthews. He also appeared to overpay, but since he valued Matthews many slots higher than where they actually got him, Ted saw it as still being good value.

My final point is that with his gifts Watson was only available at pick 34 because he played for a lower level college program on a very successful run-first team. If he had played at Alabama, for example, he should have been long gone at pick 34. I can't prove that of course, but I believe it.

IMO there are other damn FCS teams he could have played for that could have gotten him drafted before 34.