2nd Round, 56th Pick overall Cowboys Select

textaz03

Looks to have pretty good speed get off and bend combo. Really good traits for a good pass rusher. Obviously some pretty big off the field issues so hopefully matured a bit. Quinn seems to really like this kid so I’ll trust his judgment in this kid.

1 hour ago, resilient part 2 said:

absolutely love everything I am reading/seeing on this pick. But something seems off. He "seems" to have 1st rd talent. why did he slip?? what am I missing??

His off field issues. In 2020 was suspended indefinitely after being charged with sexual battery. Charges where later dropped and his suspension was lifted. 

tends to put himself in bad situations off field. Maturity issues. 

Unlike Trysten Hill, De Williams has real talent. Unlike Rod Marinelli, you can trust Dan Quinn to coach him up.

I love the player. Really think he has a chance to be a star. Said it before, but the situation reminds me so much of Frank Clark. No way he makes it to late round 2 without the baggage.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WittWareTNew said:

Has he had other off field issues besides the sexual battery charge? If so, then I'd worry more.

No other issues prior to or after this. Like Ive said, Peyton Manning was accused of sexual crimes and misconduct in college as well; Dan Marino linked to cocaine for years at Pitt; and our own Micah Parsons was involved in some hazing scandal where he smacked another teammate with his...er, member.

Point im getting at is simple: Kids do dumb things when they are away from home from the first time. Even if the allegations were false and stemmed from a bad breakup or unreturned affections or jealousy, the kid put himself in a poor situation where such an allegation could even be made. And as long as he learns from it and grows into a wiser man, then its fine.

A red flag for character or maturity issues to me should involve a proven crime, or multiple allegations or scandals - not something disproven(like Sam Williams) or an isolated incident of stupidity (such as with Micah). Because, lets face it, what 18 19 20 21 year old ISNT immature? They are still a kid at that age, and away from home for the first time. Long as they learn ans grow, it is not a red flag. Not to me.

1 minute ago, Dallas94Ware said:

No other issues prior to or after this. Like Ive said, Peyton Manning was accused of sexual crimes and misconduct in college as well; Dan Marino linked to cocaine for years at Pitt; and our own Micah Parsons was involved in some hazing scandal where he smacked another teammate with his...er, member.

Point im getting at is simple: Kids do dumb things when they are away from home from the first time. Even if the allegations were false and stemmed from a bad breakup or unreturned affections or jealousy, the kid put himself in a poor situation where such an allegation could even be made. And as long as he learns from it and grows into a wiser man, then its fine.

A red flag for character or maturity issues to me should involve a proven crime, or multiple allegations or scandals - not something disproven(like Sam Williams) or an isolated incident of stupidity (such as with Micah). Because, lets face it, what 18 19 20 21 year old ISNT immature? They are still a kid at that age, and away from home for the first time. Long as they learn ans grow, it is not a red flag. Not to me.

Then I think a red flag for him is BS. I wish people would stop saying he has had off field ISSUES (as in plural) when it isn't true. Could that one incident make him drop in the draft? Certainly, but its not fair to him to say he's had ISSUES like so many are stating.

Just now, WittWareTNew said:

Then I think a red flag for him is BS. I wish people would stop saying he has had off field ISSUES (as in plural) when it isn't true. Could that one incident make him drop in the draft? Certainly, but its not fair to him to say he's had ISSUES like so many are stating.

Yeah, I agree. Ive been a well known player on a d1 college campus - and i know very well how specific groups view you, and how easy it is to get sucked into gossip, drama, or storylines you have no real part in. Or how you are expected to be involved with all the good parties with the party kids, all the better study groups with the "nerds", be dating around the entire campus, and how easily one wrong word to the wrong person creates an undying label. The expectations of kids like Sam - even worse for him being a star, I was no star - create such pitfalls that create issues whether you are involved or not.

Did he do something wrong? I dont know. But it was disproven one way or another, and hes had no incident besides the one labeled as a false allegation. So i wouldnt worry

• 1 month later...

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/sam-williams-finds-himself-with-quality-mentors

"Micah has helped me out," Williams said. "[He told me] I just need to terrify these guys and open pass rushing lanes, things that I can do. Just start off with speed. Once they get used to your speed, then it's like a chess match. Now they have to figure out what I am doing."

Parsons has not been the only person that has handed out advice to the talented rookie. In fact, it has not just been current teammates of Williams. It has also come from Pro Football Hall of Famer and former Cowboys' great Charles Haley.

When asked what he thought of the instruction that Haley has given him, Williams replied with a simple remark.

"It's old school," Williams said. "We did some work yesterday with my get-off and my hand work. So, it was pretty nice to work with someone like that."

Williams has taken full advantage of OTAs and the opportunities that it has afforded him to work on the minute details of his game as well as his technique, even if they don't allow for him to work on his speed power move, which he dubbed his signature move.

"We can't do it right now because of OTAs so I'm working on my hands," Williams said. "This is a perfect time that I feel like to get my hands right, my footwork right and open up my pass rush toolbox."

Where exactly Williams will lineup the majority of the time has yet to be determined by Dan Quinn with so much time still left before the team heads to California. However, Williams made it clear that he is willing to play wherever the coaching staff decides.

"They have moved me to different spots," Williams said. "I just want to be used wherever to help the team. Even if it's to do kickoff and kickoff return. I'll play wherever."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/sam-williams-finds-himself-with-quality-mentors

"Micah has helped me out," Williams said. "[He told me] I just need to terrify these guys and open pass rushing lanes, things that I can do. Just start off with speed. Once they get used to your speed, then it's like a chess match. Now they have to figure out what I am doing."

Parsons has not been the only person that has handed out advice to the talented rookie. In fact, it has not just been current teammates of Williams. It has also come from Pro Football Hall of Famer and former Cowboys' great Charles Haley.

When asked what he thought of the instruction that Haley has given him, Williams replied with a simple remark.

"It's old school," Williams said. "We did some work yesterday with my get-off and my hand work. So, it was pretty nice to work with someone like that."

Williams has taken full advantage of OTAs and the opportunities that it has afforded him to work on the minute details of his game as well as his technique, even if they don't allow for him to work on his speed power move, which he dubbed his signature move.

"We can't do it right now because of OTAs so I'm working on my hands," Williams said. "This is a perfect time that I feel like to get my hands right, my footwork right and open up my pass rush toolbox."

Where exactly Williams will lineup the majority of the time has yet to be determined by Dan Quinn with so much time still left before the team heads to California. However, Williams made it clear that he is willing to play wherever the coaching staff decides.

"They have moved me to different spots," Williams said. "I just want to be used wherever to help the team. Even if it's to do kickoff and kickoff return. I'll play wherever."

I'm really, really hoping Williams and Parsons can be that dynamic duo on the edges like Taylor and Banks were for those Giant defenses of the 80s and 90s.