🏈 Raiders select with pick #238: OL Thayer Munford

RaidersAreOne

13 minutes ago, true2form said:

As far as I can tell, yes.  He played everywhere else on the line for Memphis it seems.  

His size and the fact that he doesn’t get that much push against dlineman. He can absorb and keep them still, but he doesn’t have the size and heft to push them back to create lanes. 

No one is saying he couldn’t play guard - just that he is more suited to play C in the pros and has all the attributes (including the leadership and smarts) to be a very good C.

19 hours ago, reddevil said:

His size and the fact that he doesn’t get that much push against dlineman. He can absorb and keep them still, but he doesn’t have the size and heft to push them back to create lanes. 

No one is saying he couldn’t play guard - just that he is more suited to play C in the pros and has all the attributes (including the leadership and smarts) to be a very good C.

Could all be true.  I don't listen to the self proclaimed draft scouts though.  He didn't play C in college and until he does in the pros, he's a Guard.

On 5/10/2022 at 4:12 PM, true2form said:

Could all be true.  I don't listen to the self proclaimed draft scouts though.  He didn't play C in college and until he does in the pros, he's a Guard.

The NFL teams asked him to practice and play at OC in the Senior Bowl for a good reason.

NFL teams or at least some of them sees him as an OC, otherwise they wouldn't mess with his position, snaps at the SB.

Ziegler said he will have a chance to compete at both OC and OG. That is also a solid line from a GM, whos team has a starting OC on paper, while only ?s at OG. If they were so sure in Andre James and Parham's role as an OG they would have said that he will compete at either OG spot IMO. This indication that he can compete at OC makes me think that the plan is to let him battle with James and if he can't beat him he could see some action at OG. OC is not a spot you tipically mess with during a season, because of the chemistry with the QB...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rolni said:

The NFL teams asked him to practice and play at OC in the Senior Bowl for a good reason.

NFL teams or at least some of them sees him as an OC, otherwise they wouldn't mess with his position, snaps at the SB.

Ziegler said he will have a chance to compete at both OC and OG. That is also a solid line from a GM, whos team has a starting OC on paper, while only ?s at OG. If they were so sure in Andre James and Parham's role as an OG they would have said that he will compete at either OG spot IMO. This indication that he can compete at OC makes me think that the plan is to let him battle with James and if he can't beat him he could see some action at OG. OC is not a spot you tipically mess with during a season, because of the chemistry with the QB...

So if that's the case what are you thinking?   Parham at C, James at Guard or off the team?  Just curious.

2 minutes ago, true2form said:

So if that's the case what are you thinking?   Parham at C, James at Guard or off the team?  Just curious.

Probably would still keep James as backup OC, our OL battle in camp is going to be insane.

Parham/James competing to be OC. 

Parham/Leatherwood/Simpson/Elumenor/Good/Bars for both guard spots

Leatherwood/Parker/Elumenor/Good for the RT spot

16 hours ago, true2form said:

I hope Parham can beat out Andre James for the OC job. That would mean that he is better then a low end starter right away as a rookie. That would be a solid start off for him IMO.

I don't think James can be an effective OG in the NFL. He is best as a back up OC IMO and his 1,58M salary is around that range too...a bit expensive, but nothing crazy. If Parham shows enough I would make the switch and keep Andre around as insurance for 2022, unless someone offers something for him...

I think Letherwood will get his chance at RT and Parker is the back up option there.

Good, Simpson, Eluemunor and maybe Bars will fight for those OG spots with Munford being a darkhorse candidate IMO. 

I expect Good to grab and hold the RG spot and I expect Simpson to get the LG spot. Munford should get the LG back up job with some emergency LT capability also in his bag. Elu should be the RG back up with LG and even RT ability. Bars will have a hard time IMO, unless we carry 10 OL, his best chance could be an OC injury around TC. Maybe we can trade Andre James for a late pick or something and Bars can stick around as IOL depth. 

Miller-Simpson-Parham-Good-Leatherwood would be my starting OL

Munford-Bars-James-Elu-Parker would be the 2nd line, however Parker would get the 1st call if Miller misses a few snaps...

I think

1, Miller can continue to get better

2, Simpson fits this new scheme with more power runs a lot better and he can build on a solid 2nd half from last year

3, I really like Parham as our OC of the future

4, Good should be able to play like an average veteran RG, who can help out the 2 young guys next to him

5, Leatherwood needs to step up big time, but I think he deserves a fair chance at RT

6, James was a below average starter in 2021, but got better as the season went on. Would be a solid back up option IMO

7, Parker is not a quality starter, but he is also a slowly developing guy, who could benefit from the new staff and get to servicable level 

8, Elu is a quality, versatile veteran guy to have around

9, Bars is a solid depth guy with versatility on the interior

10, Munford is an interesting guy, who could stick on the 53 as a rookie with his size

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rolni said:

I hope Parham can beat out Andre James for the OC job. That would mean that he is better then a low end starter right away as a rookie. That would be a solid start off for him IMO.

I don't think James can be an effective OG in the NFL. He is best as a back up OC IMO and his 1,58M salary is around that range too...a bit expensive, but nothing crazy. If Parham shows enough I would make the switch and keep Andre around as insurance for 2022, unless someone offers something for him...

I think Letherwood will get his chance at RT and Parker is the back up option there.

Good, Simpson, Eluemunor and maybe Bars will fight for those OG spots with Munford being a darkhorse candidate IMO. 

I expect Good to grab and hold the RG spot and I expect Simpson to get the LG spot. Munford should get the LG back up job with some emergency LT capability also in his bag. Elu should be the RG back up with LG and even RT ability. Bars will have a hard time IMO, unless we carry 10 OL, his best chance could be an OC injury around TC. Maybe we can trade Andre James for a late pick or something and Bars can stick around as IOL depth. 

Munford-Bars-James-Elu-Parker would be the 2nd line, however Parker would get the 1st call if Miller misses a few snaps...

I think

2, Simpson fits this new scheme with more power runs a lot better and he can build on a solid 2nd half from last year

4, Good should be able to play like an average veteran RG, who can help out the 2 young guys next to him

5, Leatherwood needs to step up big time, but I think he deserves a fair chance at RT

6, James was a below average starter in 2021, but got better as the season went on. Would be a solid back up option IMO

7, Parker is not a quality starter, but he is also a slowly developing guy, who could benefit from the new staff and get to servicable level 

10, Munford is an interesting guy, who could stick on the 53 as a rookie with his size

Simpson is the one guy that I do not want to start.

5 hours ago, Rolni said:

I think

Solid breakdown.  Can't say I'm excited about the players, but at least we have options and depth.

I guess I was also hoping Parham could bring much needed help to the Guard position because I saw it as the bigger weakness to Center. Unfortunately, Miller and James were our best two guys last year and it was the other 3 spots I'm concerned with.  As long as the best 5 are out there it doesn't matter much to me though.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, true2form said:

Solid breakdown.  Can't say I'm excited about the players, but at least we have options and depth.

I guess I was also hoping Parham could bring much needed help to the Guard position because I saw it as the bigger weakness to Center. Unfortunately, Miller and James were our best two guys last year and it was the other 3 spots I'm concerned with.  As long as the best 5 are out there it doesn't matter much to me though.

Gruden, Mayock, and Cable tore it down but at least we have a ton of verstatility. 

22 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Simpson is the one guy that I do not want to start.

I'm on the other side here!

I want to see him on the field after he gets some proper coaching and after he gets to play in a scheme which is a better fit for him.

I really liked John Simpson before the draft as a middle rounder OG. I thought he has real starting potential in a power scheme.

I was a bit confused when we selected him for Cable's zone heavy scheme.

The Cable guy didn't help him with proper coaching and it is evident on his tape against D.Buchner (tape don't lie has a video about it) regards to his hand placement issues. Actually if you watch that video about him and the OL it is alarming how bad our lines handwork is and it has to be a coaching issue...despite his hand work he did some good stuff againt Buckner, who is among the best IDLs.

If the new staff can help him with the scheme and improve his technique with better coaching he could be a really solid starter IMO. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rolni said:

I'm on the other side here!

I want to see him on the field after he gets some proper coaching and after he gets to play in a scheme which is a better fit for him.

I really liked John Simpson before the draft as a middle rounder OG. I thought he has real starting potential in a power scheme.

I was a bit confused when we selected him for Cable's zone heavy scheme.

The Cable guy didn't help him with proper coaching and it is evident on his tape against D.Buchner (tape don't lie has a video about it) regards to his hand placement issues. Actually if you watch that video about him and the OL it is alarming how bad our lines handwork is and it has to be a coaching issue...despite his hand work he did some good stuff againt Buckner, who is among the best IDLs.

If the new staff can help him with the scheme and improve his technique with better coaching he could be a really solid starter IMO. 

Love Tape Don’t Lie.

Marcus from that show has been high on Simpson from the start. He had a decent stretch towards the end of the season (penalties aside!). I think he didn’t allow a sack or pressure for the last 5-6 games or something.

The FO must’ve seen enough from these young guys to think that at least a couple of them have the potential to make a jump. I would put Simpson in that category. I’m interested to see what he can become.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 1:32 PM, Rolni said:

I think

Some interesting thoughts though I'm not sure our OC is the position that needs strengthening most.

My thoughts would be:

LT - in very safe hands with Miller and Parker can backup so no worries here. Miller is a potential Pro Bowler IMO.

LG - I've never been high on Simpson and think he's been a poor starter and is only backup quality. He might improve of course and he's on a cheap rookie contract but assuming there's no surprising turnaround I'd like a guy like Parham to compete and win this job.

OC - James started very badly last year and our snap accuracy was worrisome but he got it together and if fairness it was his first full year and I though he was average to decent by end of year. LG and RT are higher priorities for me as I feel we have an average starter here with James with potential to grow as he's only had one season.

RG - Good I like, I think he's an above average to decent starter who can also cover RT at an average level. That versatility is crucial and I'd keep him here. 

RT - This is a big question mark, maybe Leatherwood improves but not banking on it, Parker has shown to be below average with flashes of awful. I'd be surprised if Elumenor, Parker, Leatherwood or Mumford turn into good starters here, it's a hole until proven otherwise. Elu is a backup at RT and RG I believe.

I don't see any other 'starter' quality options unless someone really surprised. I think Parham can win the LG job and be decent so that only leaves RT with a below average starter, with Good being above average, Miller being good to very good and James being average.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 6:06 AM, Darbsk said:

Some interesting thoughts though I'm not sure our OC is the position that needs strengthening most.

My thoughts would be:

LT - in very safe hands with Miller and Parker can backup so no worries here. Miller is a potential Pro Bowler IMO.

LG - I've never been high on Simpson and think he's been a poor starter and is only backup quality. He might improve of course and he's on a cheap rookie contract but assuming there's no surprising turnaround I'd like a guy like Parham to compete and win this job.

OC - James started very badly last year and our snap accuracy was worrisome but he got it together and if fairness it was his first full year and I though he was average to decent by end of year. LG and RT are higher priorities for me as I feel we have an average starter here with James with potential to grow as he's only had one season.

RG - Good I like, I think he's an above average to decent starter who can also cover RT at an average level. That versatility is crucial and I'd keep him here. 

RT - This is a big question mark, maybe Leatherwood improves but not banking on it, Parker has shown to be below average with flashes of awful. I'd be surprised if Elumenor, Parker, Leatherwood or Mumford turn into good starters here, it's a hole until proven otherwise. Elu is a backup at RT and RG I believe.

I don't see any other 'starter' quality options unless someone really surprised. I think Parham can win the LG job and be decent so that only leaves RT with a below average starter, with Good being above average, Miller being good to very good and James being average.

I agree with most of these takes. I think Parham might play RG, he played RG the most in college. Good competes with Simpson for that LG spot. Good ends up starting with Parham. I might be optimistic but I think Leatherwood is going hold down that RT job. Bar will be interior depth, and Elu is a depth piece. Munford was ranked high as a tackle prospect on NFL.com, so I think he will kick outside and is a backup this year. decent depth, but no one who screams starter stuck on the bench. 

On 5/10/2022 at 3:12 PM, true2form said:

He played it at the senior bowl I believe, which means the NFL asked him to play it. 

He might play gaurd this season but he's replacing Andre James sooner rather then later. 

On 5/22/2022 at 3:46 AM, Humble_Beast said:

I agree with most of these takes. I think Parham might play RG, he played RG the most in college. Good competes with Simpson for that LG spot. Good ends up starting with Parham. I might be optimistic but I think Leatherwood is going hold down that RT job. Bar will be interior depth, and Elu is a depth piece. Munford was ranked high as a tackle prospect on NFL.com, so I think he will kick outside and is a backup this year. decent depth, but no one who screams starter stuck on the bench. 

Leatherwood is the big question mark really. Obviously, we all hope he has a second season like Miller and can own that RT spot, that would be very nice. Is that too optimistic? He would have to improve a lot from his first year and he didn't really show what Miller showed in his first few games before Miller played through injuries.

He seems like a good kid so I hope he can dramatically improve but I think it's best not to count on it and try to have a solid backup plan like signing a vet RT who can at least be average. Parker does not fill me with confidence at all ........... It worries me as it really could be our downfall this season and our Achilles heel.