2022 Early Draft Grade

Purplepride323

2022 Draft Grade  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What is your initial draft grade for the Vikings 2022 class?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

11 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Wasn’t Everson like top of the 4th round. 
Much bigger difference then 1st round trades

It was a first round trade, as this was coming off the loss to the Saints in the NFCC, so the VIkings were originally picking #30.

29 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Wasn’t Everson like top of the 4th round. 
Much bigger difference then 1st round trades

Except the part where it was a result of a 1st round trade with a division rival.

Detroit got 30/128 (Javhid Best/Jason Curtis Fox)

Vikings got 34/100/214 (Chris Cook/Everson Griffen/Mickey Shuler)

Considering the Lions ultimately got only 2 seasons of mediocre production from Best and only really 1 season of play from Fox, compared to the Vikings 4 pro bowls and 10 seasons from Griffen and 4 seasons of play from Cook its pretty easy to say the Vikings clearly won the trade with their divisional opponent.

So the argument about 1st round picks and divisional opponents isnt necessarily any more or less relevant than any other round.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

Dalvin Cook 2023 cap hit at age 28 - 14,101,273

Dead money if cut pre 6/1 - 6.2 mil

Cap savings - 7.89 mil

There is not a chance in hell Kwesi is having Dalvin play on the Vikings in 2023 with his 14m cap number. Something will happen, paycut, release, etc. 

the only other thing I will be interested in seeing is how he really plays the dead cap situation. 

like I said it will also be interesting to see if Kwesi goes the way of the 49ers or the Browns. Andrew Berrys isn’t afraid of paying RB’s Chubb I believe is around the 6th highest paid player which is probably fair.

27 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Really good point about Dalvin Cook. Could easily be playing his last year in purple

Not just Dalvin, but also Eric Kendricks. 

2013 cap - 11,430,00

cut pre 6/1 dead money - 1,930,000

cut pre 6/1 cap savings - 9,500,000

That is another lens to look at the Asamoah pick. 

With a new GM, we can expect a good amount of turnover in the next few years. I would think that in three years there will be just a few players left from the Spielman years.  Fortunately, there are a few good young players that will be around, which will make it much easier for Adofo-Mensah to remake the roster.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

With a new GM, we can expect a good amount of turnover in the next few years. I would think that in three years there will be just a few players left from the Spielman years.  Fortunately, there are a few good young players that will be around, which will make it much easier for Adofo-Mensah to remake the roster.

The off season narrative has been compete with the extension of Cousins. I didn't see any of that honestly.

I don't know what they are doing, other than shooting for, a .500 season.

7 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

Still can't get over that trade value.

For those talking about Goff. You're willfully ignorant to think he is a part of their long term plan.

Yeah and then you have to hit on a first round QB. Which the hit rate, is a coin toss or a bit lower. It's not as easy as it sounds. 

2 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Yeah and then you have to hit on a first round QB. Which the hit rate, is a coin toss or a bit lower. It's not as easy as it sounds. 

No one ever said it was, but they will be in position to get their guy, regardless.

14 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

The off season narrative has been compete with the extension of Cousins. I didn't see any of that honestly.

Considering how many points they gave up in the final 2 minutes of each half, they weren't that far from a 11-6 season last year.  Of course, if that had happened, Zimmer and Spielman would still be here.  

Plus, if you target a QB you want, you're always in a position to get him.  You don't have to be a bottom-feeder to do so.    You just have to be willing to pay the price...like the Chiefs did.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

No one ever said it was, but they will be in position to get their guy, regardless.

To be perfectly honest, I am not worried about the Lions until they show a reason for other NFC north teams to be worried. Did they have a nice draft? Yes. But until they get a QB, it's not something I'm losing sleep over.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

Yep it’s an odd fit. 
extended cousins, get 8 or 9 wins, not really be in a position to get a great QB in 2023, then cut Cook/Kendricks/Harrison next off-season, and get no trade compensation back for them, and possible look forward to a 6-7 in 2023 with Cousins

3 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

hen cut Cook/Kendricks/Harrison next off-season

Harrison probably won't be cut unless his play drops off drastically. HIs dead cap number is absurdly high for 2023 (11.7m dead cap hit). 

And we are overvaluing all their trade values, guys. They are very highly paid, they are not garnering any worthwhile draft picks.

Edited by battle2heaven

9 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Yep it’s an odd fit. 
extended cousins, get 8 or 9 wins, not really be in a position to get a great QB in 2023, then cut Cook/Kendricks/Harrison next off-season, and get no trade compensation back for them, and possible look forward to a 6-7 in 2023 with Cousins

The cap's probably going to go up 20M+ next year and with no significant extensions due, they aren't going to have to cut the 3 of them.  In fact, Kendricks' number goes down in 2023, so what would be the point?  I wouldn't be surprised to see if most/all of them wouldn't be here in 2023 as well.  This is a 2 year window, then it's likely over that and all of them will be gone, including Thielen. 

Edited by swede700