The Marvel Cinematic Universe- Robert Downey Jr. cast as Doctor Doom

Acgott

The MCU desperately needed a guy like Pedro to take over the franchise.

They needed someone who could make multiple appearances throughout multiple movies. They need someone to tie it all together and appear in a bunch of major outings. Reed Richards should be showing up in almost 50% of movies going forward.

I don’t think Pedro was first choice, but can kinda see it. Not a total departure for him but enough of a different shade.

Can’t say he was on the list in my head, mostly because he’s so busy. But he’ll be fine as Reed, little older than I thought they’d go at 48.

So far this is the most concrete reported cast

Pedro Pascal - Reed Richards
Vanessa Kirby - Sue Storm
Joseph Quinn - Johnny Storm
Ebon Moss-Bachrach - Ben Grimm

F_BXWHPWwAAiCKt.jpg

going off other reports
Javier Bardem - Galactus
         ?????       - Silver Surfer
         ?????       - The other heralds
         ?????       - Doctor Doom

Some of the ideas for this show have me excited. 
"What if Hela found the 10 Rings?"
"What if kid Peter Quill went beserk on Earth, and a 90's hodge-podge Avengers squad had to stop him???"
"What if the Avengers were assembled in 1602???"
"What Supreme Strange had intervened???"

I love Pedro as an actor from what I've seen of him. Reed is one of my favorite characters in all of Marvel, so I was anxious about the potential casting choices. Pedro wasn't on my radar, but...seems like a decent choice. 

Glad it wasn't Gylenhall, as I heard he declined. Nothing against the guy, but I can't see him as Reed in addition to him already having played someone else in the MCU that had a prominent role. Yes Gemma Chan had the same situation, but she was essentially a henchmen in alien make-up for Captain Marvel with barely any screen time. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

2 hours ago, MacReady said:

They needed someone who could make multiple appearances throughout multiple movies. They need someone to tie it all together and appear in a bunch of major outings. Reed Richards should be showing up in almost 50% of movies going forward.

Maybe not that much, but yeah I could see that being both something they wanted and something that put off some of the guy like Driver or Jake Ghylls (who both reportedly were offered the role).

Having Reed become the go to science guy in universe makes sense.

The other castings, if they are those actors work too on their own. Kirby I can see have that Namor arch. Quinn I could see act opposite Holland and the younger heroes they popped up this phase, and Ebon has the gruff personality that would lend him to crossing over well too.

8 hours ago, Acgott said:

Glad Wonder Man is still happening, and the timeline never made sense with them also wanting Shang-chi 2 (Wreckage of Time) before Secret Wars.

They dropped the writer on Kang Dynasty recently, wonder if they are really moving off Kang? 

I know some people don’t care about a Young Avengers project, but might be best case scenario to have his Storyline fizzle out there. Has a lot of ties to them in the comics, a variant has already tried to kill at least Cassie and America Chavez has a power set that would make that team uniquely equipped.

Do that, unravel time and space in some of those other projects and do a two parter for secret wars.

3 hours ago, MacReady said:

Then they should have made him Doom.

• Like 1

Honest question: Are we on the verge of the end of this version of the MCU as we know it? 

Just seems there were some major missteps (the "tv series" being a major one) along with some very misguided movies being put out. 

Really the only things that have been universally praised, are the things that have the most questionable Futures;

• Loki has overall been good and liked, but everything 'Kang' seems to always be up in the air (at best) due to all things Jonathan Majors related
  • GotG was overall amazing, but without Gunn, it can (and likely will) get a little too loose with a property so balanced on the edge of absurdity already. 

I understand that there are things already in the can, and things very far along in production, those will likely all come out (no Batgirl situations) but anything less than halfway done has to be in limbo after the pauses due to the strikes, right? 

I was originally going to come in here and ask if we were going to see Secret Wars, as its currently planned? But that seems like a pipe dream at this point. So with Kang Dynasty falling apart, I guess Ill ask, where to they hit the reboot button? CA: Brave New World seems likely to go on as planned, but after that? I know theres F4 news, but do you keep that in this continuity? Do we actually see Thunderbolts? Do you waste Blade here? 

As a Comic/Superhero Movie community we lambasted DC for not taking the trap door that was Flashpoint, and they are going to have to just throw it all in the trash and start over anyway. Will we keep that same energy for Feige and the MCU when they have the obvious escape hatch that is Deadpool (that Loki already introduced) sitting right there infront of them?

It feels like the MCU has not only gotten stale and over crowded, but the casual fans at least have become apathetic about the product (box office would back that up). The heart and the passion about the individuals has vanished and its just about building to the next "Event".

There is a very clear path to reboot, and to do it differently with new stories and new characters. The Fantastic Four being the mainstays, Blade as another piece and either keep Holland's Spiderman going (there are ways) or start another (Myles) in this continuity, heading toward true Mutants being introduced.

Im aware there are contracts in play, and all sorts of stakeholders who have a say in things. But this feels like a VERY obvious reboot time, and if they keep trying to push ahead with what they are currently doing, its only going to get worse. 

39 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Honest question: Are we on the verge of the end of this version of the MCU as we know it? 

Just seems there were some major missteps (the "tv series" being a major one) along with some very misguided movies being put out. 

Really the only things that have been universally praised, are the things that have the most questionable Futures;

• Loki has overall been good and liked, but everything 'Kang' seems to always be up in the air (at best) due to all things Jonathan Majors related
  • GotG was overall amazing, but without Gunn, it can (and likely will) get a little too loose with a property so balanced on the edge of absurdity already. 

I understand that there are things already in the can, and things very far along in production, those will likely all come out (no Batgirl situations) but anything less than halfway done has to be in limbo after the pauses due to the strikes, right? 

I was originally going to come in here and ask if we were going to see Secret Wars, as its currently planned? But that seems like a pipe dream at this point. So with Kang Dynasty falling apart, I guess Ill ask, where to they hit the reboot button? CA: Brave New World seems likely to go on as planned, but after that? I know theres F4 news, but do you keep that in this continuity? Do we actually see Thunderbolts? Do you waste Blade here? 

As a Comic/Superhero Movie community we lambasted DC for not taking the trap door that was Flashpoint, and they are going to have to just throw it all in the trash and start over anyway. Will we keep that same energy for Feige and the MCU when they have the obvious escape hatch that is Deadpool (that Loki already introduced) sitting right there infront of them?

It feels like the MCU has not only gotten stale and over crowded, but the casual fans at least have become apathetic about the product (box office would back that up). The heart and the passion about the individuals has vanished and its just about building to the next "Event".

There is a very clear path to reboot, and to do it differently with new stories and new characters. The Fantastic Four being the mainstays, Blade as another piece and either keep Holland's Spiderman going (there are ways) or start another (Myles) in this continuity, heading toward true Mutants being introduced.

Im aware there are contracts in play, and all sorts of stakeholders who have a say in things. But this feels like a VERY obvious reboot time, and if they keep trying to push ahead with what they are currently doing, it’s only going to get worse. 

The thing is this seemed like the plan for awhile, so it’s not really a pivot at this point.

They don’t need the full on reboot, but seems clear Secret Wars will be a fairly important point in the timeline in universe and for the MCU as a thing. Very clear line of pre-SW and Post-SW.

It’s more of a point for the actors to be done than it is for Marvel to ditch characters. Like the end of the last saga was. But it on the same note could be when people come back. Evans hasn’t been able to translate Cap success into a lot of his new movies, someone like him is probably coming back.

I think the best thing they finally did was come up with the Marvel Spotlight sub-banner, because yeah it’s clear that the weight of watching everything is getting to be too much for some. Even if the argument for that was a bit of a stretch with The Marvels.

Stay the course.

phase 4 was planned to be obtuse and all over the place. Pandemic, delays made some of it worse off for the quality to be monitored.

Phase 5 and 6 seemingly are getting expanded a bit to take more time, also the strikes helped them take a breath with some of the decisions.

Deadpool sounds important and fun, Blade seems to finally be on the right track, Cap 4 is getting a big rework like Daredevil reportedly and they landed what seems like could be a solid F4 cast with people that will stick around. 

Just don’t see the doom and gloom that was there with DC, there are so many promising irons in the fire for them. Only thing DC had was The Reeves Batverse, which is being held out on its own anyway.

3 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

The thing is this seemed like the plan for awhile, so it’s not really a pivot at this point.

They don’t need the full on reboot, but seems clear Secret Wars will be a fairly important point in the timeline in universe and for the MCU as a thing. Very clear line of pre-SW and Post-SW.

It’s more of a point for the actors to be done than it is for Marvel to ditch characters. Like the end of the last saga was. But it on the same note could be when people come back. Evans hasn’t been able to translate Cap success into a lot of his new movies, someone like him is probably coming back.

I think the best thing they finally did was come up with the Marvel Spotlight sub-banner, because yeah it’s clear that the weight of watching everything is getting to be too much for some. Even if the argument for that was a bit of a stretch with The Marvels.

Stay the course.

phase 4 was planned to be obtuse and all over the place. Pandemic, delays made some of it worse off for the quality to be monitored.

Phase 5 and 6 seemingly are getting expanded a bit to take more time, also the strikes helped them take a breath with some of the decisions.

Deadpool sounds important and fun, Blade seems to finally be on the right track, Cap 4 is getting a big rework like Daredevil reportedly and they landed what seems like could be a solid F4 cast with people that will stick around. 

Just don’t see the doom and gloom that was there with DC, there are so many promising irons in the fire for them. Only thing DC had was The Reeves Batverse, which is being held out on its own anyway.

You don't see the doom and gloom coming off the biggest disappointment and then biggest bomb in MCU history, with two of your next three movies either being completely redone or on their fifth script, with like six other projects that are DOA coming up?

• Like 3