The Marvel Cinematic Universe- Silver Surfer cast

Acgott

1 hour ago, Calvert28 said:

Best picture? Are you serious? That's just sad. I thought the movie was pretty decent, but this is ridiculous. 

Very much agree. While Black Panther is culturally significant, especially standing on the shoulders of the rest of the MCU, it is not as good as movies in similar veins like Moonlight and Get Out. 

Just now, Deadpulse said:

Very much agree. While Black Panther is culturally significant, especially standing on the shoulders of the rest of the MCU, it is not as good as movies in similar veins like Moonlight and Get Out. 

I hate this.  Culturally significant.  It's not culturally significant first of all.  Blade was more culturally significant.  Black Panther had been introduced already and was the 17th movie in a series of 16 previous movies that have made billions of dollars. 

On top of that, it wasn't a great movie.  It was good you could say, but it was not some groundbreaking piece of art.  Nothing in the Marvel universe is groundbreaking.  You want to see achievement in filmmaking in superhero movies, the only one you have any business pointing to is The Dark Knight.  It had an actual impact on filmmaking.  Black Panther didn't. 

If we're handing out awards and nominations for alleged cultural significance, we're not really talking about filmmaking.  If the Oscars devolve further into political, societal and social commentary while neglecting film, it's going to become akin to the MTV movie awards.

Everybody who raves about Black Panther shuts their mouth as soon as you say, "Ignore the plot.  Tell me what it achieved in filmmaking." 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

Roots was culturally significant. To Kill a Mockingbird was culturally significant. In The Ghetto by Elvis was culturally significant. This is no where close. At least not in my mind. 

But your right about the other movies. 

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I hate this.  Culturally significant.  It's not culturally significant first of all.  Blade was more culturally significant.  Black Panther had been introduced already and was the 17th movie in a series of 16 previous movies that have made billions of dollars. 

On top of that, it wasn't a great movie.  It was good you could say, but it was not some groundbreaking piece of art.  Nothing in the Marvel universe is groundbreaking.  You want to see achievement in filmmaking in superhero movies, the only one you have any business pointing to is The Dark Knight.  It had an actual impact on filmmaking.  Black Panther didn't. 

If we're handing out awards and nominations for alleged cultural significance, we're not really talking about filmmaking.  If the Oscars devolve further into political, societal and social commentary while neglecting film, it's going to become akin to the MTV movie awards.

Everybody who raves about Black Panther shuts their mouth as soon as you say, "Ignore the plot.  Tell me what it achieved in filmmaking." 

I agree with all of this, except that i would argue that one thing that is groundbreaking in the Marvel Universe is the scope of their overall achievement.  Nothing that i can recall short of the Bond series has spanned this many movies and been nearly as well connected (and the Bond movies aren't really all that well connected).  That's significant to me.

However, when talking single films, i agree with you wholeheartedly.

@Outpost31, I am agreeing with you that it doesn't stand as anything more than a good movie and certainly doesnt deserve the nod. 

However to both you and @Calvert28, I do still maintain its cultural significance. While not in nearly the same way as a lot of the movies @Calvert28, the impact it had outside of the film itself was massive. It was a black led movie by a black writer/director that leaned heavy into the made by made for genre that was both a critical AND commercial success. Its not so much the content of the movie and what it did or if it challenged the world to think differently etc. It was more proof that a flick with an almost all black cast and creative team could have not just success, but more so than your typical fair with easy comparisons to other MCU movies. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

@Outpost31, I am agreeing with you that it doesn't stand as anything more than a good movie and certainly doesnt deserve the nod. 

However to both you and @Calvert28, I do still maintain its cultural significance. While not in nearly the same way as a lot of the movies @Calvert28, the impact it had outside of the film itself was massive. It was a black led movie by a black writer/director that leaned heavy into the made by made for genre that was both a critical AND commercial success. Its not so much the content of the movie and what it did or if it challenged the world to think differently etc. It was more proof that a flick with an almost all black cast and creative team could have not just success, but more so than your typical fair with easy comparisons to other MCU movies. 

But why culture significant? If we are applauding the idea that the movie was a success simply because of one factor. As if it's never been done before then I would say that's more of an insult then a reason to be happy. Of course it could be done, of course there are creative and talented people of all culture backgrounds working in Hollywood. But in terms of what this movie brought to society it literally did nothing for us. It's a brave move when there could be such a backlash that would put people in danger like Malala speaking out.  It there was nothing special about this. And I consider it more of a culture success when there are people of many backgrounds working on one project and working through those boundaries rather then one set of people with probably one mindset working on the same project. I mean let's be real here there has been plenty of backlash over white washing. And I remember MNight getting backlash over how he chose his cast for his Avatar movie. I just don't see where in your post or any praise from any source why this movie should be considered anything other then a blockbuster success? 

Sorry if I'm not seeing the point. But that's just the way I see it. 

• Like 1

There is nothing especially culturally significant about Black Panther. When it comes to black heroes, and women heroes for that matter, there is quite a bit of amnesia going around.

Eddie Murphy in Beverly Hills Cop was more culturally significant than Black Panther. Charismatic black man with white love interest crosses social divides and is universally popular amongst many demographics, in the early 1980's, a time where some religious schools still outlawed interracial dating lol. Or Murtaugh in Lethal Weapon, a role that showed the older black cop as the voice of reason and steadfast authority. And those are just examples taken from a single genre, buddy cop movies. Those buddy copy movies literally had more cultural significance than Black Panther.

It seems like a quantity over quality type of argument. People are not satisfied with a good movie having a black or female lead, its more celebratory to have full casts of black / female characters, even if the movie ends up between 'meh' and bad. Ghostbusters for instance, is Sarah Connor less of a feminist icon than the new Ghostbusters cast because she shared the film with male characters? Does Ripley cease to exist as a tremendously interesting, intelligent and tough character because the Space Marines she shared the film with were not all women?

Don't get how anyone can't see the impact the success BP can have on pop culture

a all-black cast in a big budget film that takes place in Eastern Africa has never been done before(would like to see someone name another film like it..doubt you can) and too see it succeed the way that did is a big deal... already seeing the impact of it.. HBO green-lit a Afro-futurist  Game of the thrones type show a few months after BP success...

53 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Eddie Murphy in Beverly Hills Cop was more culturally significant than Black Panther. Charismatic black man with white love interest crosses social divides and is universally popular amongst many demographics, in the early 1980's, a time where some religious schools still outlawed interracial dating lol. Or Murtaugh in Lethal Weapon, a role that showed the older black cop as the voice of reason and steadfast authority. And those are just examples taken from a single genre, buddy cop movies. Those buddy copy movies literally had more cultural significance than Black Panther.

Sidney Poitier and Bill Cosby did all this stuff like 15-20 years before lethal weapon and Beverly hills cop came out.

• Acgott changed the title to The Marvel Cinematic Universe- Silver Surfer cast