> 2023 NFL Draft Prospects Thread <

Kiltman

9 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I mean they interviewed one of our coordinators last year lol.

That Texans team still needs A LOT, but I'd definitely like to see Steichen get someone like Young.

Much rather see that than say him going to Denver with Russ even though they have the more talented roster.

I don't think denver is a good job. Russ is poison.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

What is Max a mid rounder right now?

I think so, but I also think he might end up being QB3 after Young and Stroud. He might go round 2. He might go round 5. I would rather have Duggan than Levis and Richardson if one of them had to start a game next year. Wouldn't feel very good about any of the 3, but I would feel like Duggan is less likely to totally implode. From a height, weight, arm strength point of view I think Duggan is basically Baker with a little more running speed. He is pretty ugly though, which doesn't bode well for his success.

Edited by Jeezla

1 hour ago, ninjapirate said:

Well in that B you also have to consider what the draft has depth in as well. Like this is a very good tight end group so its very easy to pass on one in the first and be confident you could get a good one in rounds 2 or 3. If Howie was in the tight end market. 

Is that how teams rank everyone? I’m legitimately asking. Does everyone have a number score? This LB is an 88 but we have a TE as a 90 so the TE gets drafted. I don’t know. Many times I hear that this guy or that guy has a 1st round rating. I mean, it’s definitely possible there’s 40 some guys with a 1st round grade right? But does that mean you’re taking a 1st round graded player at an off position because it’s BPA? I doubt it. You clearly have to take into account your team currently contributed. Player performance, your starters age, starters contract, market value, etc. It’s not as clear as BPA ever I don’t think. As much as people would like to assume or say it is. As to your point, Howie needed a RB that draft where we took Pumphrey. There’s like 6 starting RBs from that draft and he waited entirely too long and then took the wrong one. I would have to assume he followed BPA to an extent or just massively undervalued the RB position. Who knows really. He took Sydney Jones over Kamara, Hunt and Connor. Which flies in the face of my theory about positional value. Although, I think round 2-3 is the sweet spot for RB. Jones was a special case though. I think Howie thought he was stealing an injured 1st rounder. 

1 hour ago, Jroc04 said:

I mean, call it being technical; But that’s not BPA then. What’s the point of BPA if we ignore the B part? 

I agree with you. But the BPA philosophy would have you believe that you’d find a place for the best football player available regardless. I mean, not to kick this old tire down the road again, but there were posters saying if the Punting prospect is the BPA then we should take him. Laughable. 

You're quite simply interpreting it entirely literally and hyperbolically. 

Like with what you're thinking I'm saying is that we should've taken Araiza in the 1st round. BPA with some semblance of sense.

Like for example. If we resign Hargrave, and Jalen Carter is still there at 10. We take him.

1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I mean they interviewed one of our coordinators last year lol.

That Texans team still needs A LOT, but I'd definitely like to see Steichen get someone like Young.

Much rather see that than say him going to Denver with Russ even though they have the more talented roster.

Texans IMHO are one of the more desirable locations for a high profile HC candidate. A blank slate with a lot of capital. Just make sure to give whomever 3 years.

13 minutes ago, Danger said:

You're quite simply interpreting it entirely literally and hyperbolically. 

Like with what you're thinking I'm saying is that we should've taken Araiza in the 1st round. BPA with some semblance of sense.

Like for example. If we resign Hargrave, and Jalen Carter is still there at 10. We take him.

I’m being serious. IMO, BPA means we’re taking the best rated players regardless of the current teams condition. And yes, the punter comment was hyperbole. But that was to make a point. So as the 4th and 5th round rolled around, posters made the case that he’s the best football player available, so we should take him. That’s silly. But that was tongue in cheek. Might be literal but when people say that, that’s what I interpret. If it’s not literal, I don’t really understand why people say it. Why don’t they just say, “I’d rather take for need first, within reason”? Fact is positionally it’s pretty difficult filling every hole before the draft adequately. BPA yes, but to a point.  I think GMs always have an eye on the roster while drafting. It would be a perfect world to just draft BPA but it’s often not reality. The Hargrave and Carter example isn’t great because there’s two DTs that are considered starters and we heavily rotate where you could consider 3 actual starters at that position. We would actually need a DT this off-season. A better example would be WR. Would we take a 1st round WR at our 1st draft pick if it’s indeed the best player? I highly doubt it. I’m sure we’d listen to offers or just take a CB for example. 

3 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

I’m being serious. IMO, BPA means we’re taking the best rated players regardless of the current teams condition. And yes, the punter comment was hyperbole. But that was to make a point. So as the 4th and 5th round rolled around, posters made the case that he’s the best football player available, so we should take him. That’s silly. But that was tongue in cheek. Might be literal but when people say that, that’s what I interpret. If it’s not literal, I don’t really understand why people say it. Why don’t they just say, “I’d rather take for need first, within reason”? Fact is positionally it’s pretty difficult filling every hole before the draft adequately. BPA yes, but to a point.  I think GMs always have an eye on the roster while drafting. It would be a perfect world to just draft BPA but it’s often not reality. The Hargrave and Carter example isn’t great because there’s two DTs that are considered starters and we heavily rotate where you could consider 3 actual starters at that position. We would actually need a DT this off-season. A better example would be WR. Would we take a 1st round WR at our 1st draft pick if it’s indeed the best player? I highly doubt it. I’m sure we’d listen to offers or just take a CB for example. 

The short answer of it is, I don't want us taking another Derek Barnett just because we need an EDGE guy.

Positional value always comes into play, but NEVER reach on a dude.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Danger said:

Texans IMHO are one of the more desirable locations for a high profile HC candidate. A blank slate with a lot of capital. Just make sure to give whomever 3 years.

Feels like the last 2 head coaches (old heads) for Houston were just fillers until they have a shot at someone worth a damn wanting to come to them and having the 1st overall pick to take their next QB is definitely gonna help them with that.

I think Gannon would get 3 years there and I feel like with Bryce that they could outperform their talent level in year 1, then in 2023 get Bryce an elite weapon like a Marvin Harrison Jr. Hopefully they'll be getting back John Metchie next year too.

3 hours ago, Jeezla said:

If Max Duggan looks good vs Michigan, wouldn't mind taking him to replace Minshew as the backup. Not sure who our backup will be next year, but it won't be Shew.

Would be funny considering how much eagles beats and fans buried him as we coped with the Reagor pick.