2018 Draftable QB Discussion

candyman93

Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?

• Josh Rosen
    • Sam Darnold

26 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The throwing motion stuff is funny to me.  Who gives a ??

Yeah, pretty much. As long as it doesn't relate to inaccuracy, fumbling, or WAAAAAAY too long of a release, it doesn't matter at all.

24 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Yeah, pretty much. As long as it doesn't relate to inaccuracy, fumbling, or WAAAAAAY too long of a release, it doesn't matter at all.

Isnt that the problem though? It did result in fumbling? I mean its probability, if you stick the ball out behind you for a longer time it stands a better chance of being knocked away by edge rushers. Especially with the whole strip sack phase that good NFL rushers are going through and the same reason RBs are told 'high and tight' not low and away from your body lol

Not that I hate it or anything but a longer loopy release means not only does the ball get hung out there for a extra 1/2 second away from the body to get knocked away, but it also gives DBs a extra jump because they can see hes already in his throwing motion sooner.

I may be making too much of it but its def. a negative in my eyes especially when we are talking about the #1 overall pick. Not some mid-round QB. Phillip Rivers can get away with his low delivery because his release is sooo lightning fast, does Darnold do anything like that to compensate for his quirky loopy motion?

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Isnt that the problem though? It did result in fumbling? I mean its probability, if you stick the ball out behind you for a longer time it stands a better chance of being knocked away by edge rushers. Especially with the whole strip sack phase that good NFL rushers are going through and the same reason RBs are told 'high and tight' not low and away from your body lol

Not that I hate it or anything but a longer loopy release means not only does the ball get hung out there for a extra 1/2 second away from the body to get knocked away, but it also gives DBs a extra jump because they can see hes already in his throwing motion sooner.

I may be making too much of it but its def. a negative in my eyes especially when we are talking about the #1 overall pick. Not some mid-round QB. Phillip Rivers can get away with his low delivery because his release is sooo lightning fast, does Darnold do anything like that to compensate for his quirky loopy motion?

Do you have some game references for the fumbles he had where it came directly as a result of taking an age to go through his motion?

I’ve put in a lot of work looking into his fumbles and this isn’t something that manifests itself much at all. His fumbles primarily come from other avenues like mesh point errors on handoffs, not keeping two hands on the ball in the pocket and being too careless holding the ball whilst running outside the pocket.

1 minute ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Do you have some game references for the fumbles he had where it came directly as a result of taking an age to go through his motion?

I’ve put in a lot of work looking into his fumbles and this isn’t something that manifests itself much at all. His fumbles primarily come from other avenues like mesh point errors on handoffs, not keeping two hands on the ball in the pocket and being too careless holding the ball whilst running outside the pocket.

Didnt he fumble like 3 times in the OSU game. IDK if it was a result of his elongated throwing motion but I remember people saying his ability to hang on to the ball in the pocket when getting sacked/hit is a real issue.

9 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Isnt that the problem though?

Fumbling for Sam is the problem. I don't think his throwing motion was the reason. Pretty big difference IMO.

It did result in fumbling?

See above.

I mean its probability, if you stick the ball out behind you for a longer time it stands a better chance of being knocked away by edge rushers. Especially with the whole strip sack phase that good NFL rushers are going through and the same reason RBs are told 'high and tight' not low and away from your body lol

No way is it an extra half second. Guys get the ball out of their hand in under a half second from the start of their throwing motion. Tony Romo, who didn't exactly have a "clean throwing motion" got it out in under .30 seconds.

It's not Byron Leftwich or Tim Tebow that we're talking about here.

7 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Didnt he fumble like 3 times in the OSU game. IDK if it was a result of his elongated throwing motion but I remember people saying his ability to hang on to the ball in the pocket when getting sacked/hit is a real issue.

Not living to fight another down, and one hand on the ball was the problem there.

Easily correctable issues with hard coaching, imo.

The throwing motion wasn’t a problem. It’s not even slow tbh. It’s long but it’s quick. Looks like he’s competed it from the angle of not dropping the ball first. Which is a nice bonus but not really important.

12 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

See my response above and the video I cited. 

45 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

See my response above and the video I cited. 

Ahh got it, Im just wondering why people are not on the Rosen train more than they are. Is it because Darnold's perceived ceiling is higher and since we have Tryod is can allow him a better chance to site for a year and potentially hit that ceiling? To me, Rosen is the best passer in this draft with the smallest amount of on-field concerns. Im just wondering why he isnt even in the discussion from not only the national media, but Browns fans alike.

I stated in another post how I read an article on NFL.com that a scout said Rosen is the best pure passing product with the best mechanics he has ever seen. How is that guy not in the discussion at #1 when we all seem to be on the Darnold train eventhough he does have his flaws Rosen seems to have less of.

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

Ahh got it, Im just wondering why people are not on the Rosen train more than they are. Is it because Darnold's perceived ceiling is higher and since we have Tryod is can allow him a better chance to site for a year and potentially hit that ceiling? To me, Rosen is the best passer in this draft with the smallest amount of on-field concerns. Im just wondering why he isnt even in the discussion from not only the national media, but Browns fans alike

Rosen’s train never really got out of the station because of the perception that he isn’t particularly keen on playing for us.

I’m sure he would, but when you’re starting off on that foot, it’s not really going to gain a lot of steam.

1 minute ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Rosen’s train never really got out of the station because of the perception that he isn’t particularly keen on playing for us.

I’m sure he would, but when you’re starting off on that foot, it’s not really going to gain a lot of steam.

Agreed, fair or not.

Throw in some semi-major medical concerns with that "prickly" personality and that's cause for a concern.

Let's face it...we're not exactly a veteran locker room that can handle those types of borderline personalities, although most of this Rosen personality stuff is overblown in my opinion. 

Just now, Aztec Hammer said:

Sure but at the same time all he said was he wants to go to the best fit for him, wherever that is and people took it and ran with it that he meant the Browns. He later came out and said at the combine it was a broad statement and not meant for any one team in particular but just a generalization. 

Myles Garrett last year pleaded before the draft for the Cowboys to come up and take him because he wants to play for them, nobody really seemed to not want him on the Browns because of that when he specifically mentioned a team.

4 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Sure but at the same time all he said was he wants to go to the best fit for him, wherever that is and people took it and ran with it that he meant the Browns. He later came out and said at the combine it was a broad statement and not meant for any one team in particular but just a generalization. 

Myles Garrett last year pleaded before the draft for the Cowboys to come up and take him because he wants to play for them, nobody really seemed to not want him on the Browns because of that when he specifically mentioned a team.

I don’t disagree. I wouldn’t have many reservations with taking him to be the Browns QB. My main worry would be the medical side.

He’s my second choice for the number one overall pick.

4 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I don’t disagree. I wouldn’t have many reservations with taking him to be the Browns QB. My main worry would be the medical side.

He’s my second choice for the number one overall pick.

Got it and yea its pretty evident that the Browns are rolling with Taylor for at least this full season. I dont know if Rosen is the type of guy from a personality standpoint to sit on the bench and marinate without causing any backlash if they go on a 3 game losing streak. Darnold is at least a guy you can feel and justify more comfortably sitting for a year.

My feeling is that Rosen is going to the Jets at #3 and he will be lighting it up his rookie season for them while Browns fans get anxious with Darnold on the bench and cause another 'force him to play' situation because look at what Rosen is doing in NY.

6 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The throwing motion stuff is funny to me.  Who gives a ??

Really.

His ball gets to where it is supposed to, sometimes with remarkable precision, touch.

Who gives a rat's butt about how it looks?

Archived