2018 Draftable QB Discussion

candyman93

Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?

• Josh Rosen
    • Sam Darnold

I think it's interesting that Rosen seems to be the only QB with ZERO media push towards us. There are plenty of guys screaming Darnold, a few saying Allen, and Mayfield was a popular "lock" to us for awhile @Mind Character. Heck, even Jackson has gotten a couple tweets from "insiders" recently, that we love him and would take him if we had a lower pick. But ZERO Rosen talk. Where there's no smoke whatsoever...

I don't know. I don't think it's anything. But it might be.

2 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I think it's interesting that Rosen seems to be the only QB with ZERO media push towards us. There are plenty of guys screaming Darnold, a few saying Allen, and Mayfield was a popular "lock" to us for awhile @Mind Character. Heck, even Jackson has gotten a couple tweets from "insiders" recently, that we love him and would take him if we had a lower pick. But ZERO Rosen talk. Where there's no smoke whatsoever...

It’s definitely odd that no one seems to like him here, but everyone likes him.

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s definitely odd that no one seems to like him here, but everyone likes him.

Posted in the Darnold thread, but it’s about Rosen:

Path to the Draft is currently on and is very interesting. They have Jim Mora on there. Rosen’s head coach.

He was waxing lyrical over Rosen and Darnold, but he was really gushing about Darnold’s leadership. He said he thinks that Rosen being the ‘Chosen One’ and Darnold being the 179th ranked guy secretly grinded on Darnold and he carries the underdog mentality with him. He said Rosen doesn’t wear his heart on his sleeve but he’s competitive for sure. But Darnold just has that “grit, and carries himself with it”, to paraphrase. He hated going against him in college.

And wow, this was surprising. They just asked Mora who he would take if he were the Browns...

Sam Darnold.

Not sure how Rosen will feel about that! Unless it’s a joint ploy to see him to New York...

https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/browns/browns-gm-john-dorsey-says-he-has-clarity-of-thought-after-spending-last-week-with-the-four-top-rated-quarterbacks-in-draft

An interesting article. Dorsey keeps his cards close to the vest, but there are some nuggets in there about Darnold and Allen's Pro Days, Mayfield's documentary thing, and Rosen's supposed desire or lack of to play in Cleveland.

'Clarity of thought' tells me he has a favourite QB. If they trade down and put the first QB off the board in the hands of another team, I will be very disillusioned.

3 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I think we will know a week before the draft. I remember the Myles Garrett is 100% the pick pretty close to the draft.

9 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Makes one think....

The fan base and the draft community would be shocked to hear Josh Rosen's name....it would be pandemonium.

It would be wild....

Like I said when I heard it...it really doesn't make any sense at all to me that we'd go Rosen given how I thought the coaching staff and FO desired QBs that can extend the play, but the scuttlebutt is the scuttlebutt.

LOL...I was actually going to post some other stuff I heard the other day, but I was just like "Why? It's not like these people believe me....screw 'em all..."

My brother in law and I were supposed to thoroughly catch up whenever he heard stuff about the combine medicals and private visits, but things have been radio silent..... I can't wait to catch up to see if he found out what reports were false flags and which were substantive....

He did text me last week that NYG have been pestering John Dorsey to show his hand on the QB he likes b/c if out of courtesy he let's them know it's Darnold (The Giants like Darnold AND Rosen, but people in the organization are worried about Rosen's concussions as he's had 4 concussions between high school and college) if their medical staff comes back with bad brain health results during their private follow-up medical, they are looking to trade with the Broncos at 5 after seeing Darnold go at 1 and select from either Denzel Ward or Bradley Chubb, whoever falls to them. He believes there is no way Gettleman trades below 5 with the Bills or Dolphins as has been suggested. The Giants have no interest in Saquon Barkley top 5 as Gettleman believes in his ability to find a RB later in the draft. If the Browns go Rosen or Mayfield at 1, then the Giants will obviously stay at 2 and select Darnold. Thus, the Giants are thought to only be considering the Jets or Broncos as trade partners and will only stay at 2 likely if Darnold is on the Board...

That means Buffalo will be in desperation to trade with us at 4 if they have 4 QBs that they like....do we make the trade with them?? Idk....

------------------------------

-----------------

Remember immediately post-combine it was Hue, Haley, Zampese all in on 1. Josh Rosen and 2. Sam Darnold...

Dorsey, Highsmith, McCloughan were 1. Baker Mayfield, and 2. Sam Darnold....

After I heard that, I was of course disgusted and sad as I believe Darnold is the One, but I've been trying to figure out who of the two of Rosen and Baker is the QB I'd prefer....and honestly it's a tough one.... I still can't decide at this point.

----------------

I've tried to boil down the QBs Positive and Negative Traits to 3 Core things...

Darnold Good: 1. Rare Anticipation Skills & Throws More Tight Window Anticipation Throws Per Game By a Wide Margin Relative to Other QB Prospects (Best Anticipation & Back Shoulder Thrower skills to enter the NFL since Phillip Rivers and Chad Pennington), 2. Rare Pocket Poise & Awareness in Pressure Moments, When Trailing, and in the 4th Quarter, 3. Rare Instincts & Pinpoint Accuracy when Extending the Play

Darnold Bad: 1. Terribly Careless With the Ball, One Hand Gripping of the Ball Leading to Unnecessary Fumbles and Momentum Swings, 2. Mechanical Breakdowns in Feet Leads to Inconsistency and Uneven play from the Pocket, 3. Either Tries to do too much or Just Misses Underneath Coverages/Spy's leading to Bad INTs

----

Mayfield Good: 1. Rare/Elite of the Elite Emotional Intelligence and Competitive Fire to Elevate Teammates Play, Hunger, and Focus, 2. Rare Quick Processor and Graduate Level Understanding of the Game, 3. Rare Pinpoint Accuracy on Intermediate and In, as well as on Boundary Throws

Mayfield Bad: 1. Emotionally Immature for His Age when it comes to Emotion Regulation and Self Control, 2. As a Drop Down, Sling Shot Thrower he Lacks Pinpoint Accuracy on Downfield throws and Tight Quarter throws between the Hashes as he puts too much air under the ball on deep passes and waits a tick too long to release on Routes in Traffic, 3. Lacks Anticipation and Gets out of Rhythm When Play Action or Zone Read Fakes Aren't Called to Open up Passing Lanes on Longer Developing Routes

----

Rosen Good: 1. Rare Deep Ball Pinpoint Accuracy (I don't understand how people knock him on this after watching 2 seasons of his play), 2. Efficient and Quick Processor on Full Field Reads, and 3. Rare Middle of the Field Anticipation & Accurate Thrower

Rosen Bad: 1. Lacks the Instincts and Athleticism to Extend the Play, 2. Concussion Concerns, 3. Tries to Make Hero Throws in Critical Junctures in the Game To Often Negative Effects

16 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Remember immediately post-combine it was Hue, Haley, Zampese all in on 1. Josh Rosen and 2. Sam Darnold...

Dorsey, Highsmith, McCloughan were 1. Baker Mayfield, and 2. Sam Darnold....

This actually makes for an interesting bargaining dynamic.

Rosen and Mayfield are very different QBs...probably no bridging the gap.

All, however, view Darnold favorably.

Darnold could well be the consensus choice among the bunch.

Rosen: 26INT and 20fumbles in 29 starts. 0.90 picks per game. 0.69 fumbles per game.

Darnold: 22INT and 20fumbles in 24 starts. 0.92 picks per game. 0.83 fumbles per game.

Allen: 21INT and 13fumbles in 25 starts. 0.84 picks per game. 0.52 fumbles per game.

Pretty interesting numbers I think.

All three have almost identical interception numbers. Allen’s percentage is the least and yet that’s just one interception less in one more game than the most.

Rosen and Darnold have the same number of fumbles, but Rosen having played five more games.

This doesn’t take into account the positive stats for them, i.e. touchdowns and completion percentage.

Darnold at 65% and 64TDs in PAC-12

Rosen at 60% and 65TDs in PAC-12

Allen at 56% and 56TDs in MWC.

Long story short, that Josh Allen, of All-Mountain West Honourable Mention is even being considered is ridiculous.

This is where I'm at. Is Darnold a lock? Maybe. But the fact that his and Allen's names are the ones getting all this media hype, when both are represented by the same agency, who have a history of using the media to hype their prospects, is super suspicious.

@freakygeniuskid They can hype all of the prospects they want, it still doesnt influence what teams do on draft day when hundreds of teams scouts are spending hundreds of more hours watching film to see who the best guy is. Its all just part of the offseason allure and mainly because there needs to be something to talk about.

Either way,  I dont know if its been posted yet, but here you go. Read this.. Its a fantastic read on the kid. Please?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2725101-sam-darnold-usc-quarterback-childhood

Archived