2018 Draftable QB Discussion

candyman93

Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?

• Josh Rosen
    • Sam Darnold

And here's some really interesting stuff on comparing the strength of schedules for the top guys.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XFgC_8CsvaI-63a3EGxE_w6-gZaTdzOSubcGING41FU/edit#gid=0

The TL;DR version is that the HARDEST opposing schedule among the top 5 QBs by both total defense and total scoring defense went to... Baker Mayfield (because no SEC or BIG10 QBs are in the draft this year and the PAC12 stiiiiinks). The rankings in difficulty of defenses faced goes Mayfield > Darnold = Jackson >  Rosen = Allen.

Me right now:

tenor.gif

21 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

They can hype all of the prospects they want, it still doesnt influence what teams do on draft day when hundreds of teams scouts are spending hundreds of more hours watching film to see who the best guy is. Its all just part of the offseason allure and mainly because there needs to be something to talk about.

... You do realize that this is exactly what I was saying, right? That the media manipulation right now may or may not actually be indicating what we are going to do?

37 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Either way,  I dont know if its been posted yet, but here you go. Read this.. Its a fantastic read on the kid. Please?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2725101-sam-darnold-usc-quarterback-childhood

The first large paragraph is putting me off something fierce. I like that he was a multi-sport athlete. I think that helps most everybody out. But so was Rosen, to an elite degree. Just in a non-stereotypically-manly sport. It's a cool tidbit but not something that changes what he did on the field last year.

His mother and father (who, interestingly, are anything but boring) refer to their boy as “Flatline,” and while this isn’t meant as an insult, it’s not exactly a compliment. Southern Cal’s redshirt sophomore quarterback doesn’t tweet. He doesn’t talk ****. He won’t bash UCLA’s Josh Rosen or promise a national championship. There are zero traces of tattoos or piercings or shirtless arm-crossed tough guy poses.

I don't give two poops about how not interesting his personality is. I don't care if a guy promises championships, or has tattoos, or does shirtless tough guy poses. Jeez louise, this is written for 70 year olds, right? I want a guy who is the best at what he does, whose teammates are crazy about him, and who is going to put in the work to keep getting better. The human interest stuff should just be fluff. If you can't coach a guy because he has a personality, get out of coaching. And the crud about "Sam Darnold isn't made for media hype" is laughable, he's been the anointed #1 pick for more than a year. I swear to the Lord Mel Kiper wrote down his QB big board at the end of LAST season for THIS draft and just hasn't felt like changing anything since. 

Still like Darnold a lot and would have him as the #1 QB in the 2017 draft. Still not sure why he's #1 for most folks over Rosen/Mayfield other than media hype, frame, or just being vanilla enough to not set off folks who are scared of medical/attitude issues. I don't blame anyone else for loving him, and I'm sure I'll grow to like him if we draft him. But I just don't see moving him up into the Rosen/Mayfield tier this late in the game. And why hasn't anyone asked yet if he isn't TOO calm and distant, ala Cutler? I hear hot takes all the time about the other QB's personality quirks.

11 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

The first large paragraph is putting me off something fierce. I like that he was a multi-sport athlete. I think that helps most everybody out. But so was Rosen, to an elite degree. Just in a non-stereotypically-manly sport. It's a cool tidbit but not something that changes what he did on the field last year.

I don't give two poops about how not interesting his personality is. I don't care if a guy promises championships, or has tattoos, or does shirtless tough guy poses. Jeez louise, this is written for 70 year olds, right? I want a guy who is the best at what he does, whose teammates are crazy about him, and who is going to put in the work to keep getting better. The human interest stuff should just be fluff. If you can't coach a guy because he has a personality, get out of coaching. And the crud about "Sam Darnold isn't made for media hype" is laughable, he's been the anointed #1 pick for more than a year. I swear to the Lord Mel Kiper wrote down his QB big board at the end of LAST season for THIS draft and just hasn't felt like changing anything since. 

Still like Darnold a lot and would have him as the #1 QB in the 2017 draft. Still not sure why he's #1 for most folks over Rosen/Mayfield other than media hype, frame, or just being vanilla enough to not set off folks who are scared of medical/attitude issues. I don't blame anyone else for loving him, and I'm sure I'll grow to like him if we draft him. But I just don't see moving him up into the Rosen/Mayfield tier this late in the game. And why hasn't anyone asked yet if he isn't TOO calm and distant, ala Cutler? I hear hot takes all the time about the other QB's personality quirks.

Meh its his attitude. The reason why people will say he fits in Cleveland. From the article, Darnold is quietly passionate. Hes like a humble quiet kid that internally is boiling. Reminds me of Brian Dawkins in the way his personality is described in the sense that he is a soft spoken nice, polite guy off the field--but on the field once his competitive juices get going, he takes it to the another level. 

This is the part that kinda sold me with him just sort of being 'the natural' A guy who is just reaaaally good at whatever sport he tries. Makes me think he has a extremely high ceiling especially given a year to sit and refine the mental side.

“He was so naturally gifted, it was crazy,” says Chris. “I had to stop playing catch with him when he was in the third grade, he threw so hard. But it was great. We wanted him to be a kid and try it all. What else is a childhood for? You need to discover yourself.”

The byproduct? A breathtaking cross-platform skill set that, by his freshman year at San Clemente High, had coalesced into one marvelous force. As myriad peers filled their predictable roles as pitcher, or shooter, or pass-rusher, Sam did everything. He was a jump-shooter with a linebacker’s ferocity. He was a quarterback with a point guard’s vision.

5 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

And why hasn't anyone asked yet if he isn't TOO calm and distant, ala Cutler? I hear hot takes all the time about the other QB's personality quirks.

Probably because that would be ridiculous to ask.

I also wouldn’t call the talk about Mayfield and Rosen’s personality quirks, ‘hot takes’. One dude got arrested for running from the police whilst pissed up and has numerous other visible incidents of grabbing his nuts and swearing on the sideline, a throat slashing gesture, throwing the ball at an opponents head in warmups. The other dude fell out with a SB winning QB when coached at Elite 11 and has carried questions about how coachable he is as a result. Other silly things like wearing F Trump hat on his course and the hot tub stuff don’t really bother me but it makes complete sense to me that they would raise questions.

What has Darnold done to warrant a hot take about his character? It’s a reach, at best, to find something comparable to the other two guys.

2 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I also wouldn’t call the talk about Mayfield and Rosen’s personality quirks, ‘hot takes’. One dude got arrested for running from the police whilst pissed up and has numerous other visible incidents of grabbing his nuts and swearing on the sideline, a throat slashing gesture, throwing the ball at an opponents head in warmups. The other dude fell out with a SB winning QB when coached at Elite 11 and has carried questions about how coachable he is as a result. Other silly things like wearing F Trump hat on his course and the hot tub stuff don’t really bother me but it makes complete sense to me that they would raise questions.

What has Darnold done to warrant a hot take about his character? It’s a reach, at best, to find something comparable to the other two guys.

You’re like a stage mom for Sam Darnold and I ❤️ you for it.

Draft rumors thread had some guy on Twitter say that he’s be shocked if the Broncos took Mayfield due to difficulties for senior bowl staff to coach him.

I find that hard to believe about Shake N Baker Mayfield personally.

6 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

This is indeed a great take in support of your dude.

34 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Draft rumors thread had some guy on Twitter say that he’s be shocked if the Broncos took Mayfield due to difficulties for senior bowl staff to coach him.

I find that hard to believe about Shake N Baker Mayfield personally.

He’s been clear himself, he’s not for everyone.

His teammates seem to LOVE and respect him, and he seems to have their back (see the Orlando Brown debacle).

I think he’s had some moments of immaturity (as did I at his age) but nothing awful or unforgivable.

The nut grab and throat slash stuff?  Eh, if anyone is put off by that you’d stroke if you heard some of the things I said to opponents when I played. 

The tribalism between Mayfield and Darnold fans is crazy to me, both of these dudes are fcken ballers.

Instead of Mayfield v Darnold, we all just need to be of the mindset ANYONE BUT JOSH ALLEN.

Archived