2018 Draftable QB Discussion

candyman93

Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?

• Josh Rosen
    • Sam Darnold

3 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

I still believe they tanked the season, just maybe that is why Haslam kept Hue around and didn't blame him for going 0-16. Again just maybe, Haslam asked Hue to do it!!!

I do not think outside of serious injuries to the starter, I have ever seen a 2nd round QB asked to start a season as the starter, heck, few 1st round QB's are asked to do it. Many rookie QB's are asked to start around the 6th to 8th game after gaining some film work and getting used to the speed of the pro game! Kizer was definitely thrown to the wolves!

Kessler is definitely a WCO QB, weak arm and not asked to throw a lot of deep passes system, but I still do not see him as a starter, his arm is just too weak, even for that system!

Kessler gets by on his smarts and dedication to film work, at least that is how most weak armed backup NFL QB's survive! 

I’d argue he could be a bottom end starter in the league in the right system in the right weather on the right team. 

So a decent back up.

not anything more. 

12 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Mayfield came into his final season carrying around a 6th round pick, but his last season was so sensational that he moved himself up into high round 1 consideration!

Generally, pro scouts and GM's do not put a lot of weight into previous seasons unless injuries have made it impossible to see what a prospect is now. With experience, especially QB's improve immensely in college, as they gain from watching film and playing. They will watch old film to watch a prospects progression as a player as he matures and gains experience, but that is about it!

Disagree with the first paragraph. I saw most draft guys talking about him as a 2nd/3rd type guy, right in the range Russell Wilson went (not comparing them, just their draft status, super productive guys with a height/system question mark).

Second paragraph, in general I'd agree with. Which is why I don't get all of the national media talk about Darnold/Allen being the only ones we are considering, when they're the two who regressed this year! The more I think about it, the more I think that the FO might not be 100% settled on someone yet and Darnold/Allen's agency is just trying to force the Browns into taking one of them (and thus paying the agency bookoo bucks) by applying media pressure. Now, instead of "well there were a ton of options and that's who they took!" They're trying to shift it to, "I can't believe the Browns didn't take Allen/Darnold! How dumb!" and you know the media would bite because they looooove Cleveland is dumb stories.

For the record: Not saying Darnold ISN'T the choice. Saying that I think the media "he's DEFINITELY the choice!" might be partially (or mostly) driven by his/Allen's representation.

3 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

To be fair to Darnold though he went from a talented team to one that was struggling. 

JuJu Smith-Schuster was amazing this year. He lost olinemen as well.

For sure. I'm not sure if it was quite the talent drop that has been portrayed, but it was definitely a downgrade. I'm just saying that with Canadian's point, I find it strange that the two guys who regressed are becoming the media favorites at #1. Makes me feel like either the media don't want to admit they were wrong (especially with Allen), or they're getting pressure/"sources" from somewhere saying that those are the two.

It was a pretty big drop I think. Losing Wheeler, Maia and Banner on the line especially. Those three in NFL terms aren’t good but they were enough to make it onto rosters. The five he had this year was just diabolical. Five turnstiles, pretty much.

Burnett is an ok college receiver, but he won’t make it on an nfl roster. Pittman sucks. Mitchell sucks. Vaughns will be decent but it was his first year. The tight ends are all marginal players. I doubt any will stick around on an nfl roster past camp, if they get invited.

Apart from RoJo being there both years, I can honestly say having watched every game, 2016 to 2017 was night and day.

I mean, you can watch the 2017 tape and see receivers not knowing what to do, and that includes Burnett who was the most experienced. They would even run routes into each other’s area at times and take themselves out of place. The scheme was also terrible on the whole; send the back out to the flats and run a slant with one receiver, and a crappy in out concept with the other two.

I’m not surprised that he went 31/9 as a 19 year old with JuJu and the linemen and 26/13 as a 20 year old with absolutely nothing of note but Jones in the backfield.

All that being said he still went 9-1 and 11-3 both years.

Considering Helton was 7-6 before Darnold, I think that speaks volumes.

1 hour ago, freakygeniuskid said:

For sure. I'm not sure if it was quite the talent drop that has been portrayed, but it was definitely a downgrade. I'm just saying that with Canadian's point, I find it strange that the two guys who regressed are becoming the media favorites at #1. Makes me feel like either the media don't want to admit they were wrong (especially with Allen), or they're getting pressure/"sources" from somewhere saying that those are the two.

In a redraft juju goes top 10. 

His oline lost 3 players to the NFL.  

That is a lot to lose.

He would have  a better pocket in Cleveland than at usc, 

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:

It was a pretty big drop I think. Losing Wheeler, Maia and Banner on the line especially. Those three in NFL terms aren’t good but they were enough to make it onto rosters. The five he had this year was just diabolical. Five turnstiles, pretty much.

Burnett is an ok college receiver, but he won’t make it on an nfl roster. Pittman sucks. Mitchell sucks. Vaughns will be decent but it was his first year. The tight ends are all marginal players. I doubt any will stick around on an nfl roster past camp, if they get invited.

Apart from RoJo being there both years, I can honestly say having watched every game, 2016 to 2017 was night and day.

I've been saying the same thing to my friends who don't want him. "But OSU destroyed them!" Yeah they did because his line sucked and he had Jones as his only offensive tool. 

That is all

mastercheddaar

15 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Oh boy

“If I was worried too much about it, I’d be worried about the wrong things. But I do use some of it as motivation. I can listen to all the people patting me on the back, or I can listen to the people saying I need to get better. I know I need to get better, or else there would be nobody saying that.”

55 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

All pretty good except Lamar:

I have seen it said by multiple people that there is zero coalition between good score in that test and being good in the NFL.

in fact the only coalition that exists is at DE and TE but it’s back to front. The guys with the lower scores are better??

52 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

All pretty good except Lamar:

I remember reading twitter before the Combine and there was some outrage that betting odds had been released for the highest Wonderlic score and Jackson was the furthest out. Shouts of racism that Allen was the favourite and Jackson was the biggest underdog.

I thought it particularly stupid reading at the time and quite typical of the politically correct outrage society of 2018.

It was nothing to do with racial stereotypes. Watch a few interviews of Jackson and it’s quite apparent that he’s probably not going to score well on a Wonderlic. In the same vein, I’m not surprised Allen had the highest score. The one that does tickle me a bit however is Rosen’s. All I’ve heard for the last two years is how intelligent he is, how he thinks in such depths that we could all only dream of. One point more than the simple beach boy Darnold!

Archived