2018 Draftable QB Discussion

candyman93

Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?

• Josh Rosen
    • Sam Darnold

Kessler getting shopped was inevitable. They were going to take what they could for him. Now they’ll camp with four QBs, and Hogan probably plays out most of the pre-season. Now Darnold won’t have to see his former college teammate get cut in camp I guess. 

The Kessler pick is just funny. Everyone knew at the time this kid was not a good NFL projection and probably a late round type of guy. “Trust me on this one.”  Good one Hue.

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

The Kessler pick is just funny. Everyone knew at the time this kid was not a good NFL projection and probably a late round type of guy.

Don't really agree here. There were reportedly a couple other teams targeting him in the 4th round. He looked really good (for a 3rd round pick who should've never seen the field) his rookie year. IMO destroying Kessler instead of molding him into our long term backup is one of QB guru Jackson's many failures. (I don't think Kessler was ever gonna be a great starter, but I think he could've developed into an excellent back up)

5 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Don't really agree here. There were reportedly a couple other teams targeting him in the 4th round. He looked really good (for a 3rd round pick who should've never seen the field) his rookie year. IMO destroying Kessler instead of molding him into our long term backup is one of QB guru Jackson's many failures. (I don't think Kessler was ever gonna be a great starter, but I think he could've developed into an excellent back up)

Don't worry. I'm sure he'll play really well in Jacksonville, maybe even start. I'm one of the folks along with Thomas who actually thinks Kessler could be decent. I'm not sure why Hue gave up on him so quick. It goes along with whatever the heck the game plan was last year for Kizer.

36 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

IMO destroying Kessler instead of molding him into our long term backup is one of QB guru Jackson's many failures. (I don't think Kessler was ever gonna be a great starter, but I think he could've developed into an excellent back up)

This.

Kessler was accurate and didn’t turn the ball over.  Had Hue cared to tailor an offense to anyone but a 14 year old who’s down 3 scores in Madden, he may have won a few games with Kessler last season.

He’s definitely not a starter imo, but he’ll hang around the league a while.

1 hour ago, freakygeniuskid said:

By not a good NFL QB, I mean starter. I actually agree that he could have been a good long-term backup. I just think that QBs coming out with a backup ceiling are day 3 guys. 

33 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This.

Kessler was accurate and didn’t turn the ball over.  Had Hue cared to tailor an offense to anyone but a 14 year old who’s down 3 scores in Madden, he may have won a few games with Kessler last season.

He’s definitely not a starter imo, but he’ll hang around the league a while.

I agree, we had enough decent skill players last year to work a west coast system with Kessler.  

He is smart with the football and sees the field 100 times better than Kizer does. 

I think he could start in a system that relies on quick throws from the shotgun. 

He isn't a playactiom offense guy that throws the ball deep or has to move a lot 

On 3/21/2018 at 1:22 PM, freakygeniuskid said:

I mean, I'm talking about entire years of a career, not individual games. One game can give insight, but it can also cloud it because of complicating factors.

That 2016 OSU defense might be one of the 3-4 most talented college defenses of all time, and that's not overstating it. But yeah, that was probably the worst game of his college career (53% cmpl, 2 TDs, 2 INTs, not good, but better than like 50% of Allen's games this year lol). Once again, let us lol at Allen together. lol.

I don't know about the Texas one though. Dude threw for 390 yards, 71% cmpl, and 3 TDs. He had two INTs too, but overall not bad at all. The fact that that comes to mind for you as one of his BAD games says something about the quality of his college career.

Like, looking at 2016, outside of Ohio State and West Virginia (in which he only threw 15 times because it was such a blowout) Mayfield never once had a GAME at less than 66.7 cmpl%. Dude was hella accurate at the college level. 

Mayfield came into his final season carrying around a 6th round pick, but his last season was so sensational that he moved himself up into high round 1 consideration!

Generally, pro scouts and GM's do not put a lot of weight into previous seasons unless injuries have made it impossible to see what a prospect is now. With experience, especially QB's improve immensely in college, as they gain from watching film and playing. They will watch old film to watch a prospects progression as a player as he matures and gains experience, but that is about it!

5 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I agree, we had enough decent skill players last year to work a west coast system with Kessler.  

He is smart with the football and sees the field 100 times better than Kizer does. 

I think he could start in a system that relies on quick throws from the shotgun. 

He isn't a playactiom offense guy that throws the ball deep or has to move a lot 

I still believe they tanked the season, just maybe that is why Haslam kept Hue around and didn't blame him for going 0-16. Again just maybe, Haslam asked Hue to do it!!!

I do not think outside of serious injuries to the starter, I have ever seen a 2nd round QB asked to start a season as the starter, heck, few 1st round QB's are asked to do it. Many rookie QB's are asked to start around the 6th to 8th game after gaining some film work and getting used to the speed of the pro game! Kizer was definitely thrown to the wolves!

Kessler is definitely a WCO QB, weak arm and not asked to throw a lot of deep passes system, but I still do not see him as a starter, his arm is just too weak, even for that system!

Kessler gets by on his smarts and dedication to film work, at least that is how most weak armed backup NFL QB's survive! 

Archived